SASS Wire Forum

Best Price on Cowboy Ammo 38/357 ?

Judge Roy Stone

I reload, so can't really say whose is best or lowest cost.

I can tell ya that when I got into this game, and couldn't find ammo, Cliffhanger went out of his way to see I had ammo to shoot. I bought my first 1000 from him and have been reloading it ever since.

I buy from Georgia Arms. I pay $210.00 for 1000. Thats 125 gr round nose flat point. You can also send them your brass and get $3.50 per hundred credit toward your next purchase. I have been using them for over 10 years. Great product and people. Web site georgia-arms.com

I've bought from Georgia arms and been satisfied with their product (.38 125 g TCFP). Recently I've been buying from Southern Eagle 770-714-1855. If you supply the brass Danny will reload to your specs for .14 a round, no minimum order. They sell new for .22 per round, also no minimum. I recently picked up 500 rounds for $35, now THAT was a sweet deal. It was mixed brass and nickel. Don't know much about nickel, but hopefully it's comparable to brass.

You might try Gunslinger. I don't know his prices but he is not to far from you. He is in Ovila, Tx just south of Dallas.

You can give him a call @ 972 617 6511. You will probably have to leave a message but he will call you back.

Might be close enough to at least save shipping and Haz Mat.

Ben Scalped :rolleyes::FlagAm:

When I first started, I bought a few "shootin' size" boxes of 158gr lead RN Magtech ammo. It wasn't their Cowboy line, but the specs were the same. They were on sale at Midway. I think that I paid $65 per 250 rounds. This was back in December of last year, so I don't know what the current price is. I know that at that price, it was cheaper for me to buy loaded ammo since I didn't have any brass. I've been reloading that brass ever since.

Hi Judge

Sent you a private message.

I am getting 38spc - 158 gr cowboy loads for $9.95 per 50........and if you buy 1000 you get an extra bag of 50.....1050 rds for $199.

If you want details contact me at.....Sttarrwolf@aol.com...........or phone 435-669-3221

Hope this helps you...............regards..Wolf Wind-Walker SASS#36748 MP#4

You might try Gunslinger. I don't know his prices but he is not to far from you. He is in Ovila, Tx just south of Dallas.

You can give him a call @ 972 617 6511. You will probably have to leave a message but he will call you back.

Might be close enough to at least save shipping and Haz Mat.

Ben Scalped :rolleyes::FlagAm:

+1

The Magtech 'shootin size' ammo is a great deal but should not be loaded into rifles with tube fed magazines. Magtech has Cowboy ammo (flat nose lead) but the price is pretty high for the difference in slug profile.

I worried about this when I first got them, but the RN bullet has a pretty broad tip. After looking at them closely, I felt safe enough to use them in my '73 and did so without issue. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen. YMMV.

I buy from Georgia Arms. I pay $210.00 for 1000. Thats 125 gr round nose flat point. You can also send them your brass and get $3.50 per hundred credit toward your next purchase. I have been using them for over 10 years. Great product and people. Web site georgia-arms.com

+1

Hi Judge

Sent you a private message.

I am getting 38spc - 158 gr cowboy loads for $9.95 per 50........and if you buy 1000 you get an extra bag of 50.....1050 rds for $199.

If you want details contact me at.....Sttarrwolf@aol.com...........or phone 435-669-3221

Hope this helps you...............regards..Wolf Wind-Walker SASS#36748 MP#4

These are the folks I now send my rifle customers to for the long loaded 38's these rifles like so well.

Pard,

Whatever you decide you might consider gettin 50 or 100 to try out the

quality. I have had problems with reload 38sp fitting into my Ruger.

I sorted out a fair sized pile of reloads from 1000 reloads.

I didnt buy any more from that fella.

He claimed I was the only one havin a problem.

Two of his reloads jammed in my guns.

Have a range rod handy.

Best

CR

NOTE: the above has been my experience and does NOT reflect on NKJ or the folks he recommends.

My post just happened to follow his, luck of the draw....

The point is that one might order a small amount of reloads before orderin a lot.

CR

Pard,

Whatever you decide you might consider gettin 50 or 100 to try out the

quality. I have had problems with reload 38sp fitting into my Ruger.

I sorted out a fair sized pile of reloads from 1000 reloads.

I didnt buy any more from that fella.

He claimed I was the only one havin a problem.

Two of his reloads jammed in my guns.

Have a range rod handy.

Best

CR

I had the same problem when I first started out and bought a bag of 50 reloads from a ammo store here locally. I test fired 10-20 and they seemed ok so I bought all they had next time, 700 rounds. The first match I attended, several rounds would not go in my USFA Rodeo's. I then quickly bought a Dillon .38 Special Case Gage and checked all the remaining cartridges and ended up with about 25-30 that were bad. They ammo store of course was surprised they were bad but did refund my money on those. Ever since I have checked all my cartridges with the case gauge before they go in the Bulk Ammo can supply. I have a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die on my Dillon and so far no cartridges out of 2,500 have failed to fit properly.

Don't have time to reload so looking for a good place to buy some good but reasonably priced cowboy ammo 158gr 38/357, New or Reloads 1000 round bulk is fine

You didn't mention cost, space, restrictive residence rules etc. as keeping you out of reloading, only time. You'd be surprised at how little time is required to turn out a couple of hundred rounds on even an inexpensive setup once you have learned how. Sometime in the future, you should look into reloading if you are going to be actively involved in this sport.

Archived