SASS Wire Forum

Reloading question: Special loads in Mag cases?

The Dakota Clay

Has anyone ever used .45 Colt loads in .454 cassull brass?

I'm an avid wheelgunner, for competitive shooting (IDPA, SASS, silhouette, bullseye, etc), hunting, and ccw... Unfortunately, that little touch of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have will make me itch every time I think about shooting "special" loads out of my mag cylinders (.38spcl/.357mag and .44spcl/.44mag both), so in general, I only buy factory loads in magnum length, and do all of my reloading in mag brass. I'm not sure why, but I just hate the thought of ringing my cylinders, excessive jump, etc etc... Maybe I spend too much time firing off a bench, but I just can't make myself shoot the shorts...

Luckily for me, that's not really much of a problem. I have had good results from simply using "special" powder charge data even in the longer mag cases. They run a little slower than the published data usually, but I've never had an issue using this method for producing reduced power .357mag or .44mag loads.

But here's my rub. I run 2 .454 cassulls, a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2" and a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 2 1/2". So I was at the bench and was planning load some "reduced power" .454 Cassulls. So I flipped open the books and remembered how little powder the .45colt really uses, and how MUCH powder the .454 DOES use, PLUS the use of a small rifle primer, vs a large pistol primer. I was a little more than hesitant to pour 18grn of N110 when the .454 load runs 30grn! How low can a guy really go?

So has anyone ever tried using .45 colt data in .454 cassull? Would I need to revert to a large pistol primer with the Colt loads?

Guest diablo slim shootist

A reduced load of Tight Group (maybe 2 grains less than the book for 454 loads)

would give you what you would be looking for. You never said how

fast you want to go -but that would put you around 1000fps ;)

Howdy, Pard,

The problem you may run into using .454 Casull brass with the .45 LC loads is that the .454 brass was designed for much higher pressures and may not obturate well at the reduced pressures, giving you a lot of blowby. You may be better off using the LC brass, and just cleaning the chambers after shooting.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere! God Bless America!

Your Pard,

Just from looking at the charts IMR Trail Boss looks like a good choice for reduced loads in a .454. Powders that are designed for magnum loads (such as H110, N110, W296) should not be reduced to less than chart loads.

Drifter

I can't speak to the Colt/Cassul compatibility, but I do feel a need to express my strong opinion that reloading is best done by sticking to load data from the manufacturer. They're the ones who have the equipment and resources to really work up good loads that are safe and perform the way you want.

With that said, if you don't find loads that you like in a published book or on-line, call the powder manufacturers. I shoot 44mag for cowboy and was looking for some really mild loads. Most data is for hot 44 mags, but a call to Alliant Powders connected me to their research folks and they gave me a wealth of mild but safe loads that they'd tested. I'm sure you'll find the same things for your Colt/Cassul loads.

Here's the rub; there's a reason they publish minimum loads. At lower pressures you run into problems like primers backing out, more blow-by and more importantly, squib loads. The reason so many CAS shooters get squibs is because they are using less than the recommended minimum. When there is no pressure, the powder does not ignite or burn properly AND this includes burning eratically. (this in one reason you hear "poof-bang-pop-" our of a cylinder full of reloads) It does depend on how low you go. Just a little might be ok. A little more and you get erratic ignition.

Has anyone ever used .45 Colt loads in .454 cassull brass?

I'm an avid wheelgunner, for competitive shooting (IDPA, SASS, silhouette, bullseye, etc), hunting, and ccw... Unfortunately, that little touch of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that I have will make me itch every time I think about shooting "special" loads out of my mag cylinders (.38spcl/.357mag and .44spcl/.44mag both), so in general, I only buy factory loads in magnum length, and do all of my reloading in mag brass. I'm not sure why, but I just hate the thought of ringing my cylinders, excessive jump, etc etc... Maybe I spend too much time firing off a bench, but I just can't make myself shoot the shorts...

Luckily for me, that's not really much of a problem. I have had good results from simply using "special" powder charge data even in the longer mag cases. They run a little slower than the published data usually, but I've never had an issue using this method for producing reduced power .357mag or .44mag loads.

But here's my rub. I run 2 .454 cassulls, a Ruger Super Redhawk 7 1/2" and a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 2 1/2". So I was at the bench and was planning load some "reduced power" .454 Cassulls. So I flipped open the books and remembered how little powder the .45colt really uses, and how MUCH powder the .454 DOES use, PLUS the use of a small rifle primer, vs a large pistol primer. I was a little more than hesitant to pour 18grn of N110 when the .454 load runs 30grn! How low can a guy really go?

So has anyone ever tried using .45 colt data in .454 cassull? Would I need to revert to a large pistol primer with the Colt loads?

What he said! ;) (note manufacturers, not some backyard guy who may or may not have the right dope.)

=====V

I can't speak to the Colt/Cassul compatibility, but I do feel a need to express my strong opinion that reloading is best done by sticking to load data from the manufacturer. They're the ones who have the equipment and resources to really work up good loads that are safe and perform the way you want.

With that said, if you don't find loads that you like in a published book or on-line, call the powder manufacturers. I shoot 44mag for cowboy and was looking for some really mild loads. Most data is for hot 44 mags, but a call to Alliant Powders connected me to their research folks and they gave me a wealth of mild but safe loads that they'd tested. I'm sure you'll find the same things for your Colt/Cassul loads.

Archived