SASS Wire Forum

Ruthless McDraw

Samuel "Doc" Eells

Ruthless and DJ, we continue to keep you in our prayers, praying for peace and comfort for you both. thanks to Doc Ells for keeping us update and for relaying the prayers and good wishes of the Sass family to you.

The Huntsberger Posse

Mad River Merv, Shayna Sure shot, Leadslinger Lee.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got home from a visit with Ruthless and DJ. My wife Liz went with me. When we got there, Ruthless was awake and talking. She is talking real soft, almost a mumbled whisper. That is in part due to her shallow breathing. She has been having apnia (sp unknown) for a good number of days now. Over the weekend, the apnia (breathing stops) would last for 5-10 seconds, now it is lasting 18-22 seconds. This is, according to hospice, a part of the process. She did smile indicating she enjoyed the visit from Ruger Ray today! And she also smiled and chuckled over the mention of "lemonade!" As for DJ, he is kinda lost, but hanging in there. He really loves the visits from cowboy friends! Both DJ and Ruthless were so touched by the home made cards Two Rig A Tony's Wife Barb made and so many signed at GOA! Thanks all! Work is going to be busy the next couple days, I may not make it back over till Friday. I will be talking with DJ at least 3 times a day, so the reports will continue.

Your Pard,

Doc

Lord, I don't understand this, but I know that you are the Almighty God, that you love us so much you sent your Son and let him be the sacrifice for our sin, but Lord give us wisdom and comfort during this time, please oh please touch DJ, Francie and all the family and her many friends. so many of us have been thru this before but Lord it still hurts,,,but with your touch and guidence we can deal with this loss. but Lord, it still hurts, send your Comforter please oh Lord...

I don't know Ruthless and DJ, but the posts in this thread speak volumes about how much they're loved by their cowboy pards and pardettes. My heart goes out to them in this terribly difficult time.

And Doc, you are to be commended for your fidelity and friendship. My hat is off to you, pard.

Regards, TJH

Ruthless & DJ:

Dakota & I continue to send ourt prayers & hopes & good thoughts your way.

Bless both of you.

--Dakota & the Dawg

Spoke with DJ several times today. It would seem as though Ruthless has had a pretty good day! She ate a bit for breakfast, had a bath, got her teeth brushed and chatted with family. Then the headaches came back so the meds were given. But this evening, she has come out of the medicine fog and is doing alright. Deadwoody Stan and Buffalo Dick are there, along with some family members and Ruthless is awake and alert and Joking around a little bit! So, chalk this day up in the win column! My prayer is that tomorrow is a good day for her too! Work is going to be tough the next couple days, it looks like I won't make it back over until Friday. I hate that. As always, I will be talking with DJ several times throughout the day, and will be sure to let you all know how the days go.

Until tomorrow,

Your Pard,

Doc

D.J. and Ruthless

Please know that Fannie Kicker and I are praying for you guys daily. I'm not good at putting my feelings to words, especially when the feelings are as painful as those I'm feeling right now. We both feel so blessed to have had the privelege to have met you, if only a couple of times. Doc, thanks for keepin us all up to date, thanks for being there for them. Just don't know what else to say.

Doc your a great friend and thanks for keeping us all updated as well. This can't be easy for you either, but I know your a calming influence for both of them and your strength and support are helping them in more ways than you'll ever know. As others here have already stated, there really are no words adequate to express our sadness and concern for both Kat and DJ. I too will keep them in my thoughts and prayers and wish them both strength, peace, and God's love.

I am so thankful that I got to talk with Ruthless on the phone this morning. Only wish it could have been in person. Her pain level and anxiety levels have gone up and so the Dr. told DJ this afternoon that he was raising her pain medication and giving her an anti anxiety med as well. He told DJ that this will probably mean that Ruthless will not wake up anymore. He said that is not for certain, but is most likely the case. DJ is just sick. He knows that this is what is needed to keep Ruthless comfortable and therefore he is in agreement with the Dr. I can't imagine how it is for him knowing that he may never hear his wife's voice again. He asked the Dr. how long and the he told him that it could be a couple days or a couple weeks. At least they are doing what they must to keep her comfortable.

More later,

your Pard,

Doc

Be Strong

We Love You Both.

You Are Always In Our Thoughts.

--Dakota & the Dawg

I continue to pray for DJ, Kat and You. I feel like you Doc....I wish I could do more. I thank God that you have been there and continue to be there whenever you can....You are filling a void for us by being there..... DJ needs you now more than ever.

Thanks my friend.

KK

DJ,

I know that this is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. You have to stay together, Kathi would want you to!!! She would not want to be in all this pain, and this is most likely the best solution.

We all care about you and Ruthless, we are here for you whenever you need us, don't be afraid to let your friends help you through this very trying time!

All my love.

Got a hand written note from Ruthless about two weeks ago in the mail. As sick as she is she took the time to drop me a line. I pray for comfort for DJ. Wish we could take some of the pain for both of them.

It is hard to know that someone that is like family is hurting so much and you can not do a thing to help. Just know that we are here for you. DJ you know that you are like family to all of us. I just hope that you know that you are not alone and that we all are feeling the pain with you. Allen still has the school praying for Kat.

If I could lift them up myself I would. I place my faith in the higher power and hope that whatever strength I can lend D.J. reaches him and gives him comfort. Same for you Doc.

For Kathi, I wish you peace and the healing hand of that higher power, on this side of the veil or the other.

Got a hand written note from Ruthless about two weeks ago in the mail. As sick as she is she took the time to drop me a line. I pray for comfort for DJ. Wish we could take some of the pain for both of them.

A great example of how Ruthless is. Even in the worst of her sickness, she has thought of others ahead of herself. Deuce, I bet she was either asking how you or a family member was or was saying thank you.

Ruthless had an MRI this morning to see what the cause of the headaches and blurred vision. Unfortunately it revealed 5 new tumors. The surgeon said they were all in-operable. The Surgeon said that they need to line up hospice. At this point all the surgeon can do is to help ease the pain. Please pray that peace be with Ruthless and DJ.

Your Pard,

Doc

8/17 - 8:39pm

Just talked with DJ again, he is in his words, "in a daze." I can't imagine. Ruthless has an appointment in the morning with the chemo dr. to see if there is a course of treatment that might slow down the progression. He said the larges tumor at this time is the size of his little finger nail. He also said treatment could be determined by how well she handles it physically. As he put it, "if it makes her to sick........" and he could not finish the sentence. He is going to be reading all your comments to Ruthless when the time is right, so she will surely get your messages and well wishes. Thanks for the prayers!

Your Pard,

Doc

8/18 - 6:21 pm

Talked with DJ a little bit ago, just now got home to post this. Ruthless has been moved to a Hospice house, sorry, the name is out in my truck, I will get it later. She is there for the sole purpose of getting her pain under control. Once that is accomplished, she will go home. Finally will have an easy day work wise tomorrow so I will be going to see her in the afternoon. Please keep praying, especially that the Dr.'s can find a way to give her some relief. DJ is hanging in there. He seems a little numb at the moment, but is staying strong.

Your Pard,

Doc

8/18 - 8:31PM

Just got off the phone with none other than Ruthless. She sounds stoned! Kinda like me at the bunkhouse a few hours after we got done shooting at GOA! Seriously, she does sound very upbeat, but, you know our Ruthless! Having her without pain and chatting cheerfully is doing a lot for DJ's mood as well. More to come.

Your Pard,

Doc

8/19 - 1:55PM

I talked to a DJ in tears about 8 this morning. The doctor had been there and talked with DJ. He was talking in terms of weeks. He told DJ his best guess was 2 - 6 weeks. Don't know what else to say right now.

Your Pard,

Doc

8/19 - 11:35pm

Just home from visiting with DJ and Ruthless. What a gal! But you guys know that. There she is, still having head aches, buzzin from all the pain drugs they give her, and she is still more interested in all her cowboy friends and how everyone else is doing! Her spirits are still pretty good. DJ, well, it rips me up inside. He is so lost and hurting. He is staying strong in front of Ruthless. I will be back over in the morning with Deadwood Stan, they are looking forward to seeing him for sure. More as I get it.

Your Pard,

Doc

Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you Psalm 55:22

Dear Lord, You know our needs before we even ask; You know our hearts, You feel our hurts. Draw us into Your care today; help us to rest in You, to lean on You, to be still in Your presence, knowing we are continually held in Your loving arms. Amen.

May the love of the One who holds you lift you up and grant you peace.

Love,

Larkin and Millie

On behalf of all the cowboys in Georgia, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Everyone, when you get home tonight, go up to your spouse immediately, hug them, and tell them how much you love him/her. You never know.

Got over to Columbis about 2:30 today. I am all checked into my room and hangin with DJ and Ruthless. She will open her eyes every once in awhile for a few seconds but is not able to talk. Her breathing is labored and the apnea is more frequent than it was when I was here the other evening.

As hard as it is to see ruthless lying there, it pales to seeing DJ this lost and bewildered.

Your Pard

Doc

Another day at hospice. Ruthless is resting peacefully this afternoon. The only thing she has said today is: "Hi Lassiter.". Guess you all know who is here visiting right now. Numerous cowboys have been here today and she knows it! More later.

Your pard

Doc

Last night ended well. Ruthless came out of her fog just long enough to laugh just a little. This morning she woke with a fever of 103.5. Nurses are saying they thing 24-48 hours. DJ has been here for 11 days now, it is taking it's toll on him. Deadwoody Stan is here and others are planning visits. These visits are a big help for DJ and Ruthless does know when films are here!

Your pard

Doc

I think another prayer is in order about now.

Held her hand and talked to her about all the good times for about a half hour tonight. They say she can hear, but there was no sign of it. DJ is so tired. Please keep prayin for him. Thanks.

Your Pard,

Doc

Doc,

Please let Dj know that we are praying for them. I am glad that at least she is comfortable right now.

Painted Filly & Kiowa Kid

I hope she knows still how we feel. Let us help to share the load. May the Lord keep you strong and his strength lift DJ up at his need.

Archived