SASS Wire Forum

Current Largest Cattle Ranch In America

Not sure, but with Hawaii's climate and rainfall, I wouldn't be surprised if the Parker Ranch is considered the largest (number of cattle) due to the "cow units" in Hawaii compared to the "cow units" in Texas. For example (and I'm just giving hypothetical figures here), the "cow units" in Hawaii might be five cows to an acre whereas in Texas it's probably closer to one cow every 20 acres. You might have lots of land on a Texas ranch, but it's not enough to support much of anything. Just a thought.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Slack Paddle... yore probably right. For one... I would hate to have to bushhog 225,000 acres... much less 825,000 acres. Time ya get done... and start over... dam six-inch trees be done growed up on the part ya started with.

ts

I hunted on the King Ranch once. We moved the camp by driving 4.5 hours to the south and never left the ranch.

http://www.deseretranchflorida.com/welcome.html

290,000 acres

44,000 cows

1,300 bulls

Actually connects to the Orlando International Airport!

Deseret is a Florida operation through and through. Although some of the original families who came to work the Ranch in 1952 came from the West, they stayed, put down roots and became proud Floridians whose third generation descendants still work at Deseret today. Early Deseret managers noted in 1954 that the Florida ranch could “not be operated in the same manner as a Western cattle ranch” and set about to establish ties with local experts to develop an operation suited to Central Florida.

I hunted on the King Ranch once. We moved the camp by driving 4.5 hours to the south and never left the ranch.

Noz...I had a truck like that once. Traded it in for a new one as soon as I could. ;):P

Was on a cattle ranch or station when I was "Down Under."

Drove fer 2.5 hours and was still on da station.

Was told it was da "Smallest" station der.

i think this is bigger

Anna Creek Station is well known as the largest cattle station in the world, covering an area of 34,000 sq. kms (6 million acres). It is still 8,000 sq. kms larger than its nearest rival, Alexandria Station, which is situated in the Northern Territory of Australia. The largest American cattle station (ranch) is 3,000 sq. kms.

I had a pard that I worked with at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. His dad was a ranch manager. Basically he was called in when the ranch owner was wanting to do better with what he had. They moved about every three years and the places he had seen here in the lower 48 were amazing. There are truly some huge ranches left here in the US.

He was telling of one ranch in Montana that was about 6,800 acres. What is not listed is that it backed up to a couple of hundred thousand acres of BLM land that they had rights to. He said that there was three to five helicpoters and about 30 men of horses, ATV's, and 4WD vehicles every fall when they were moving the cattled off of the slopes and down into the valley areas. He told of how there were hundres of head of elk that moved down as well.

I believe the difference between the Parker and King ranch is the Parker is a private ranch and the King is corporate. Least tha's wat I've herd,,,,,most cattle, dunt have a clue........

cheyenne, who thought I was wrong once,,,,,,but wasn't, Culpepper

I had a pard that I worked with at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. His dad was a ranch manager. Basically he was called in when the ranch owner was wanting to do better with what he had. They moved about every three years and the places he had seen here in the lower 48 were amazing. There are truly some huge ranches left here in the US.

He was telling of one ranch in Montana that was about 6,800 acres. What is not listed is that it backed up to a couple of hundred thousand acres of BLM land that they had rights to. He said that there was three to five helicpoters and about 30 men of horses, ATV's, and 4WD vehicles every fall when they were moving the cattled off of the slopes and down into the valley areas. He told of how there were hundres of head of elk that moved down as well.

YUMMMM.........ELK !!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Archived