SASS Wire Forum

Watch for Winchester Xpert Steel "Target" shotshells

Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Be aware that Winchester is now advertising that their Xpert 12 gauge shotshells, loaded with steel shot, are "Ideal for target shooting" as well as for shooting game.

Here's a link to a new Brownell's listing for this ammo:

http://www.brownells...&sp_mid=3598383

We will probably be reminding shooters that they may NOT use steel shot for matches at the Buffalo Range Riders and High Desert Drifters, on Founders Ranch. Too much chance for high velocity bounce back, and target damage, too.

In my experience, there is a good likelihood that inexperienced shooters may purchase these target loads with the expectation of using them on the cowboy range.

Good luck and stay safe, GJ

What is really scary is that they are under $6 a box and if someone has them in their shotgun belt without knowing any better, no one else will know. May be a good time for a general broadcast message from SASS, all clubs, etc. reaffirming that your shotshells need to be LEAD shot.

Now, here's a situation where photographs would be very helpful.

The Brownells link I included shows you a pretty good photo of the box, and acceptable images of the shells.

GJ

Now somebody will be checking shotgun shells with a magnet. Not a bad idea. :rolleyes:

Perhaps standard fixture at loading tables... ;)

Ok, next monthly at Founders Ranch, watch out for the electromagnets embedded in the front lip of the loading table. They will be turned on just as the shooter at the front of the table gets the call to proceed to the firing line. Any shooter who sticks to the table has to go back and get lead shot ammo. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

I think this will be an issue in the coming years. Steel may replace lead at many ranges especially in urban/suburban areas where cleanup and remediation is costly. SASS may need to think about this.

My questions to the group:

Which is more affected by steel shot: the shotguns we use or the target?

Is steel shot a problem with the mild steel targets most clubs use?

DD

Ok, next monthly at Founders Ranch, watch out for the electromagnets embedded in the front lip of the loading table. They will be turned on just as the shooter at the front of the table gets the call to proceed to the firing line. Any shooter who sticks to the table has to go back and get lead shot ammo. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Which is more affected by steel shot: the shotguns we use or the target?

Is steel shot a problem with the mild steel targets most clubs use?

More affected? If you ream the chokes out of a Browning BSS with your steel shot for $1400, or tear up eight shotgun knockdowns at $1600 total value during a match, which one comes out of your pocket? And which out of the club, the price which then has to come out of your pocket AND all the other club members?

Most clubs use mild steel targets? I always assumed most knowledgeable clubs used armor plate targets, like the four or five I shoot at regularly, and like most of the target manufacturers are using in their commercial targets. But I'll bet a dollar to a donut that steel shot will tear up even an armor plate target pretty quickly.

And the real damaging effect will be when a pard sues a club for the twenty pieces of steel shot that have to be surgically removed from their face and eyes, due to the splashback..

Good luck, GJ

More affected? If you ream the chokes out of a Browning BSS with your steel shot for $1400, or tear up eight shotgun knockdowns at $1600 total value during a match, which one comes out of your pocket? And which out of the club, the price which then has to come out of your pocket AND all the other club members?

Most clubs use mild steel targets? I always assumed most knowledgeable clubs used armor plate targets, like the four or five I shoot at regularly, and like most of the target manufacturers are using in their commercial targets. But I'll bet a dollar to a donut that steel shot will tear up even an armor plate target pretty quickly.

And the real damaging effect will be when a pard sues a club for the twenty pieces of steel shot that have to be surgically removed from their face and eyes, due to the splashback..

Good luck, GJ

I'm not arguing the fact that steel shot may be destructive, but we may not have a choice in the future.

DD

IF THE PICTURE OF THE SHELLS IS TRUE TO FACT, THEY LOOK LIKE HIGH BRASS. MIGHT HELP THE TO/RO TO IDENTIFY IT.

Unfortunately, and more confusing than needs be, Winchester is making TWO types of Xpert shells. Standard and High velocity. The high vel steel-shot shells appear to have the brass colored high base. The standard velocity steel-shot shells have a low, silver-colored base. So, just looking at the base will not be a reasonable identifier. (Click the "NEXT" button on the first picture you enlarge, and you get the second picture).

Good luck, GJ

I'm not arguing the fact that steel shot may be destructive, but we may not have a choice in the future.

DD

Your right we won't have any choise.....we won't be using our shotguns at all.

Or we will have to go the route that the mounted shooter do with thier blanks, only use brand -specific that are distributed at the firing line.

Archived