SASS Wire Forum

Western 3 Gun?

Tomboy

Just wondering....is Quick Draw called Western 1 Gun? :lol:

Same same SASS except you move with loaded guns and get cash prizes.

Howdy,

Website is interesting:

http://www.deadwoodboys.org/

Apparently this is not SASS sponsored. It sure looks cool. Any of you guys shoot this?

The targets are cowboy and you move w. weapon through a scenario. Is this like IDPA w. cowboy guns?

Any info. or experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Jr.

Jack's right, it's W3G!

I've shot the World Cup for 5 straight years...couldn't make it this year :(

It's a lot like SASS except:

1. You can move and shoot...and contrary to what some may think, you ain't gunna be RUNNING and shooting.

2. You can stoke your 97 with 2 in the tube or you can put 2 in your SxS and keep the action open.

3. There are no set orders to how you engage the targets...ya figure out what works best for you.

4. Targets are painted after each shooter...no issues with miss counts

5. Each stage has 1 second bonuses on most of the targets.

6. VERY little running is ever done because when you are done with one gun you are pretty much at the location of your next gun...no sprint races!!

Plum Creek will be doing a W3G Side Match in October at their annual match "Battle of Plum Creek".

W3G is FUN!!!!!!

W3G is Western!!!!! (ya gotta wear Cowboy clothes...just like SASS)

Cheers!!!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

3. There are no set orders to how you engage the targets...ya figure out what works best for you.

4. Targets are painted after each shooter...no issues with miss counts

Phantom, I REALLY like these two rules!! :)

It does sound like a lot of fun....one of these days.....

Okay, okay got my d in my e. Sorry, anyhow, so there are no procedurals. Just shoot em as you see fit? Why doesn't SASS do this type of match? Just rearrange your regular steel and use barrels or something to hide them.

-T.

Okay, okay got my d in my e. Sorry, anyhow, so there are no procedurals. Just shoot em as you see fit? Why doesn't SASS do this type of match? Just rearrange your regular steel and use barrels or something to hide them.

-T.

Because SASS is SASS and W3G is W3G !!

-T.

Same reason that they don't run with the ball in soccer, it's a different game!

Drifter

Not so different really. You can shoot a 3Gun match using SASS rules without issues. You can use almost all of the 3gun innovations in SASS. The only exceptions are starting with 2 shells in the shotgun and moving with a cocked gun. There is nothing that would stop targets from being painted or from having a procedure that says shoot as targets appear in a SASS match.

You can find more here .

It is a variation of cowboy action shooting and is a great deal of fun.

Cheers,

BJT

Same reason that they don't run with the ball in soccer, it's a different game!

Drifter

Hi Tomboy,

We had a club in my area. I really liked it. Variety is a good thing and it was enough different from SASS to provide some. It was enough like SASS to not ruin you for a SASS match. Alas, that club faded away.

We now have a Wild Bunch match for variety. I like it too.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Okay, can a SASS club put on a 3 gun match?

-T.

There are no "SASS clubs." There are shooting clubs that host SASS matches. There are SASS-affiliated clubs, but there are no SASS clubs. Any shooting club can host a W3G match. That club just can't (shouldn't) advertize or present the W3G match as a "SASS Match."

-T.

I think most of know what you meant, and the short answer is yes. A SASS affiliated club can put on a 3 gun match.

-T.

The Orygun cowboys hold a SASS match every 3rd Sat and a W3G every 4th Sat. It gives shooters in the area a chance to shoot both styles and enjoy themselves.

The Orygun cowboys hold a SASS match every 3rd Sat and a W3G every 4th Sat. It gives shooters in the area a chance to shoot both styles and enjoy themselves.

Do you use the same type of targets our are there diffrences, ie sizes, distance or anything else, besides the movement and target order.

KK

Last I heard, Oregon was using paper. The home club for the sport in LA uses normal to larger steel targets with center bonus zones, 1 second off the total time for a bonus hit. Distances are within what you might see at a SASS match on the close side of the median. The center bonus changes the game a little by rewarding center of mass hits (aka accuracy). Many of the targets employ a knockout for the center bonus which discourages loads from being wildly light.

As much as many in SASS get their feathers ruffled by W3Gun, the game addresses many chronic complaints in SASS concerning movement, accuracy and ballistics without creating a game that old men are unable to play.

Even if you plan to only put on SASS sanctioned matches, you might want to check out a W3G match. There may be ideas there you want to steal.

Cheers,

BJT

Do you use the same type of targets our are there diffrences, ie sizes, distance or anything else, besides the movement and target order.

KK

Last I heard, Oregon was using paper. The home club for the sport in LA uses normal to larger steel targets with center bonus zones, 1 second off the total time for a bonus hit. Distances are within what you might see at a SASS match on the close side of the median. The center bonus changes the game a little by rewarding center of mass hits (aka accuracy). Many of the targets employ a knockout for the center bonus which discourages loads from being wildly light.

As much as many in SASS get their feathers ruffled by W3Gun, the game addresses many chronic complaints in SASS concerning movement, accuracy and ballistics without creating a game that old men are unable to play.

Even if you plan to only put on SASS sanctioned matches, you might want to check out a W3G match. There may be ideas there you want to steal.

Cheers,

BJT

Thanks

KK

Paper? That must have been before my time. We've had special steel for W3G up here for years. Most W3G targets have some type of bonus involved, either with a white center overlay or a white knock out in the middle of the target. Knocking a faller down may also be a bonus.

We do both SASS and W3G each month. Both are very popular with our shooters. These videos highlight the differences in the way a W3G stage is shot.

One video from Deadwood in California, Badlands Bud being the typical alien:

Another from Oregon

Clay shooting gunfighter at our W3G annual:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OrygunCowboys#p/c/082BE065942B5F2F/3/UwPURz_56m4'>http://www.youtube.com/user/OrygunCowboys#p/c/082BE065942B5F2F/3/UwPURz_56m4

Our youtube channel has a few more SASS and W3G photos and videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OrygunCowboys

Good to hear you got steel in the wild north!

Cheers,

BJT

Paper? That must have been before my time. We've had special steel for W3G up here for years. Most W3G targets have some type of bonus involved, either with a white center overlay or a white knock out in the middle of the target. Knocking a faller down may also be a bonus.

We do both SASS and W3G each month. Both are very popular with our shooters. These videos highlight the differences in the way a W3G stage is shot.

One video from Deadwood in California, Badlands Bud being the typical alien:

Another from Oregon

Clay shooting gunfighter at our W3G annual:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OrygunCowboys#p/c/082BE065942B5F2F/3/UwPURz_56m4'>http://www.youtube.com/user/OrygunCowboys#p/c/082BE065942B5F2F/3/UwPURz_56m4

Our youtube channel has a few more SASS and W3G photos and videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/OrygunCowboys

I shot a couple-a W3G matches at the Deadwood club while I was out in California last year. Yes, it's fun! :)

You may note in the video posted above that there are rails outlining a path. Shooter must stay within the rails (you'll have to ask a regular what the penalty for stepping outside the path is).

There ain't no spotters. The scorekeeper walks the course after the shooter, counting the hit marks on the targets.

It's a bit different on spectators, too, since the shooter tends to be out of sight around some corner for most of the stage.

I think that the biggest factor limiting the spread of W3G is the cost of buying the number of targets with the knockout or overlay. You see very few complete misses with the shooters concentrating on hitting the center knockout or overlay. It's not the same when shooting cardboard targets. Depending on the stage design, some targets will be hidden from spectators but on the other hand they can see the knockouts go down when hit. I enjoy both SASS and W3G. Smokin Gator

You may note in the video posted above that there are rails outlining a path. Shooter must stay within the rails (you'll have to ask a regular what the penalty for stepping outside the path is).

30 seconds for every shot fired with a foot on the ground over the red rail. The severity of the penalty makes it very much incented for the shooter to not step over the rail.

Hi,

New to this sport, just bought the rifle...this looks like a real challenge. I wondered why the SASS matches I have watched are static, no movement while shooting. Guess it's a safety thing. Okay, but shooting while moving is essential to real world discipline, it seems to me. And these days, real world is a definite factor in my shooting time.

Is there a Wild Bunch variant of this...have had a .45 auto for years. SASS is fun; but this is a definite item on my shooting schedule.

Anyhow, great to be here. Cowboy shooting is fun, but difficult.

How come SASS doesn't do this? I don't know of any 3 Gun clubs in my area.

God Bless,

Bob :FlagAm:

Hi,

New to this sport, just bought the rifle...this looks like a real challenge. I wondered why the SASS matches I have watched are static, no movement while shooting. Guess it's a safety thing. Okay, but shooting while moving is essential to real world discipline, it seems to me. And these days, real world is a definite factor in my shooting time.

SASS is a fantisy game, it has nothing to do with "real world discipline"

Is there a Wild Bunch variant of this...have had a .45 auto for years. SASS is fun; but this is a definite item on my shooting schedule.

Yes there is, and it is gaining popularity. Here's their site:http://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/

If you would fill out your profile, including location it would allow us to direct you towards a local club. SASS & W3G, different games, different rules.

God Bless,

W3G added a Wild Bunch type category this year. I shot with an entrant. He was smiling.

Cheers,

BJT

Hi,

God Bless,

Archived