SASS Wire Forum

.38 Spec loads

Noah Cash

Does anyone have a good mild load for .38 using Bullseye Powder ? I have a LOT of bullseye and would like to use it pushin a 120 or 125 Gr Flat Point T/C. I know its a fast powder and reduce loads are a bit tricky to load with faster powders. Any experience with this combination out there or should I stick to the slower powders?

Does anyone have a good mild load for .38 using Bullseye Powder ? I have a LOT of bullseye and would like to use it pushin a 120 or 125 Gr Flat Point T/C. I know its a fast powder and reduce loads are a bit tricky to load with faster powders. Any experience with this combination out there or should I stick to the slower powders?

Well, what you thought you know about fast powders, isn't right. Light loads are generally much easier to put together with most fast pistol powders. Alliant is just not very good about publishing Cowboy-style light loads, though. Bullseye was the PREFERRED powder for light target loads in .38 special for many years.

Since I have not shot Bullseye in .38s since back in the '70s, I'll let other pards PM you with some of their favorite loads. You can find target type light loads for Bullseye in almost any loading manual, though, in case you don't like what anyone else comes up with

Good luck, GJ

This is just my two cents worth, but here goes. What you like and what someone else likes is likely to be different, so, I would load up about 5 or ten rounds with X grains of powder, then load five or ten with X.5 grains, etc., etc. Then go out and shoot those and see what you like best. Try them in your pistols and rifle and try to find a load that works well in both.

Just noticed my post got deleted - then did some digging and figured out why...

Against SASS wire policy to post load recipes....

So - sorry for that, but if it isn't against policy to PM such info, I could send that if requested...

Archived