SASS Wire Forum

recommended shot size

Takoda Ray

I am going to start reloading shotgun shells for the cowboy shoots.I am wanting to pick the correct shot size that is most likely used so I can pay out my money the first time and be satisfied that I made the right choice.Any recommendations?

Use 7 1/2 s in 12 ga and 410 ga.

Howdy

At the ranges we shoot it really does not matter. I always use #8 myself, sometimes #7 1/2 in a pinch if I can't find #8. I have never failed to knock down a target as long as I take a moment to actually aim. One thing to bear in mind is that although SASS allows #4 or smaller, many clubs have a local rule restricting shot size to #7 1/2 or smaller.

Anything smaller than #4 shot!

Anything that works in your shotgun!

Anything cheap that works in your shotgun!

Anything with low recoil!

Sure hope this helps ya!

QDG

Anything smaller than #4 shot!

Anything that works in your shotgun!

Anything cheap that works in your shotgun!

Anything with low recoil!

Sure hope this helps ya!

QDG

+1

I am going to start reloading shotgun shells for the cowboy shoots.I am wanting to pick the correct shot size that is most likely used so I can pay out my money the first time and be satisfied that I made the right choice.Any recommendations?

I don't really thinks it makes a difference, an ounce is an ounce or an ounce and an eighth is an ounce and an eighth.

HH

You might ask around a few trap and skeet clubs to see if anyone sells reclaimed shot.I've been using that for a while now and it's a lot cheaper to buy than new shot.It may have several different sizes of shot mixed in,but as long as it's been cleaned and graphited it works great.

You might ask around a few trap and skeet clubs to see if anyone sells reclaimed shot.I've been using that for a while now and it's a lot cheaper to buy than new shot.It may have several different sizes of shot mixed in,but as long as it's been cleaned and graphited it works great.

+1 :)

I use 7 1/2 because when I started I was loading AA hulls and thay don't always close completely due to inconsistent length. 7 1/2's are big enough they don't dribble out when there is a hole in the center of the crimp.

Randy

Another thing to consider is that many clubs on the East coast require size 7 1/2 or smaller.

So if you plan to shoot in a lot of areas, the 7 1/2 or 8 can be used everywhere that I know of.

I shot End of Trail a few years ago as well as shooting in Texas and other parts of the country and the 7 1/2 and 8's worked just fine.

Much appreciated. I think I'll pick up some shot and get started.

I have been shooting 7/8 oz #8 light load I shoot for trap. there down if ya hit it

Archived