SASS Wire Forum

I really messed up

Aunt Jen

OMG,

You see, my hair is going grey. It has been for years, so I've been coloring it. But then I noticed that was damaging it, taking the life out of it, making it brittle.

See?

So I decided to switch to a demi-perm, so it should damage quite a bit less. But the color was too dark. So I put in some stuff that was supposed to take out the color, so I could start over, and it only took out some of it, but that process probably damaged the hair more, too.

Which leaves the hair shaft opened up, some, so it'll take more color next time than you intend.

so then I put on the new demi-perm, which is probably the right color, but it came out too dark because the shafts were opened up.......................and so it's a little bit weird redish-brownish.

Oddly, it's okay. Because I live in California. :lol:

Anywhere else, it'd look like a mistake! :lol:

Go figure?

I've got long gray hair......well, it's almost white.

I will not color it cuz each gray/white hair has a story to tell........

And beleive me....I got stories !!!! :rolleyes:

I've got long gray hair......well, it's almost white.

I will not color it cuz each gray/white hair has a story to tell........

And beleive me....I got stories !!!! :rolleyes:

What's left of mine is long and grey and well earned!

Well, I dye my hair, because if I didn't, you all would probably role out a walker for me on arrival, try to help me cock the guns, and give me a set of false teeth during dinner.

If I do it right, it's not so bad.

If I do it wrong, I look like an elder nihilist.

OMG,

You see, my hair is going grey. It has been for years, so I've been coloring it. But then I noticed that was damaging it, taking the life out of it, making it brittle.

See?

So I decided to switch to a demi-perm, so it should damage quite a bit less. But the color was too dark. So I put in some stuff that was supposed to take out the color, so I could start over, and it only took out some of it, but that process probably damaged the hair more, too.

Which leaves the hair shaft opened up, some, so it'll take more color next time than you intend.

so then I put on the new demi-perm, which is probably the right color, but it came out too dark because the shafts were opened up.......................and so it's a little bit weird redish-brownish.

Go figure?

Jen, I quit coloring mine a while back, mostly because of the expense. I admire you for doing it yourself. Be glad you didn't burn it to the point of falling out!!! I tried the DIY version with a much worse outcome. {Can you say Tangerine....} Should I ever have to get it colored again, say for a job interview, I'll let the salon do it. Now, I just live the Zebra look, a patch of ash, a patch of white, a patch of ash, a patch of white.....and so on. It makes me look ten years older but age ain't the worst thing I have going for me so I don't worry about it. As you said, you're in California. You could do lime green with purple spots and no one would look twice.

Well, I dye my hair, because if I didn't, you all would probably role out a walker for me on arrival, try to help me cock the guns, and give me a set of false teeth during dinner.

If I do it right, it's not so bad.

If I do it wrong, I look like an elder nihilist.

Not me!! Schoolmarm has a head of the thickest most luxurious silver and grey hair and if she dyed it or cut it I've told her I'd likely leave. She looks like a silver waterfall and it's always getting her these amazing compliments. Movie stars pay thousands of dollars to get what she has for free.

She's got all her teeth to and has NO trouble operating her guns or her Sportster! :lol:

"Honey, I don't care

I ain't in love with your hair"

Randy Travis ;)

"Honey, I don't care

I ain't in love with your hair"

Randy Travis ;)

And what was that line Mickey Gilley had about The Girls and closing time? I know, but don't think I will go there.:wacko:

And what was that line Mickey Gilley had about The Girls and closing time? I know, but don't think I will go there.:wacko:

That has been said before in the Saloon by a cowpoke.............

The way he looked afterward aint pretty !! :blink:

I ought to let my hair just go gray, I am so tired of fooling with it:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gray+hair+photos&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=SRpLTrSxOqzZiAKP6LF4&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1214&bih=882

But then, I should show up at a match with it all gray, wobbling on a cane, making like Tim Conway

and hobble up to the firing line, spend 30 minutes getting my revolvers out—and then get someone to cock my hammers back out of sheer frustration, and the stage director.......er.....posse leader cuts me "short" before I get to my shotgun, giving me an honorary stage DQ for effort.

Right now, I feel like it.

Some people's hair turns gray. Mine is turning loose. :rolleyes:

Mine too, and I do need a cane !! :lol: :lol:

I am blessed to have most of mine. Don't care what color it is as long as it's not pink, blue, purple or some Goth/Punk nightmare mixture of weirdness. :wacko:

I do occasionaly allow varmints with strange multi colored hair to ride around on my head. :lol:

I am blessed to have most of mine. Don't care what color it is as long as it's not pink, blue, purple or some Goth/Punk nightmare mixture of weirdness. :wacko:

When I saw you a couple of weeks ago it looked like you had most of yours and a large percentage of mine, too. :P

Don't feel bad darlin. Just be glad you have hair. My Mrs has been a bottle blonde as long as I have known her, 30+ years. She does her own hair and has had some "interesting" experiences. Listening to her and her sisters I would pass on this, that you don't do too much to your hair in rapid succession. I think you have that figured out as you said that one process left the hair more open to take on more color. Coloring and perming will make hair brittle, snap off or fall out. One SIL had to leave her hair the color of a pumpkin for about a week as she had a bad hair color job. Self inflicted however. You may have to leave yours like it is for a couple weeks before you attempt another coloring so you don't burn the hair right off your head. I say this next part only from having heard the conversations of my wife, her sisters and two daughters, you may consider putting on a warm oil treatment to fill in the pores and hair shaft. They sell kits for this but a warm olive oil treatment should do about the same. You could try a beer rinse. I remember in 70s that was all the rage to do when girls washed their hair. I call it alcohol abuse but what do I know. I remember some girls would whip up a couple eggs and massage that in their hair. Good source of protien. Add some olive oil and start a salad.

My wife has been saying I should try some Grecian Formula and run it through my beard. That scares me. Not that I'm afraid my facial hair will fall out but I'll look like I'm 30 again. I don't want to go back there. I kind of like the grey. Makes me look distinguished. Yeah right.

Well anyway, good luck.

Don't feel bad darlin. Just be glad you have hair. My Mrs has been a bottle blonde as long as I have known her, 30+ years. She does her own hair and has had some "interesting" experiences. Listening to her and her sisters I would pass on this, that you don't do too much to your hair in rapid succession. I think you have that figured out as you said that one process left the hair more open to take on more color. Coloring and perming will make hair brittle, snap off or fall out. One SIL had to leave her hair the color of a pumpkin for about a week as she had a bad hair color job. Self inflicted however. You may have to leave yours like it is for a couple weeks before you attempt another coloring so you don't burn the hair right off your head. I say this next part only from having heard the conversations of my wife, her sisters and two daughters, you may consider putting on a warm oil treatment to fill in the pores and hair shaft. They sell kits for this but a warm olive oil treatment should do about the same. You could try a beer rinse. I remember in 70s that was all the rage to do when girls washed their hair. I call it alcohol abuse but what do I know. I remember some girls would whip up a couple eggs and massage that in their hair. Good source of protien. Add some olive oil and start a salad.

My wife has been saying I should try some Grecian Formula and run it through my beard. That scares me. Not that I'm afraid my facial hair will fall out but I'll look like I'm 30 again. I don't want to go back there. I kind of like the grey. Makes me look distinguished. Yeah right.

Well anyway, good luck.

Wow! Finegler! :excl: A husband who actually listens to what his wife talks about! You are something great. :) Does she know you actually know what she's concerned about? You are wonderful.

Yes on all the treatments. I think the basic idea with warmth and alcohol, where used, is to open the shaft, and the oils and proteins then should be better received.. I'm not a chemist, but it makes sense.

I agree wtih your wife, BTW, and I'm just leaving it alone. I'm in California, so the sort-of-normal, a-little-off-reddish hair fits in. Some people do this to their hair on purpose, and for all they know, so did I. :lol: I'm guessing that if my hair is damaged, it may be years before I can really set it right, without a real perm, and I don't want to use one of those as they hurt the hair, also. So I think I'll just have to forget my old plans for hair color and take it as it comes for a while. We'll see.

But what was so refreshing about your post is that you are a husband who really seems to be aware of what your wife is concerned about. How truly nice. :)

I think ladies with long gray hair are kinda HOT!:wub: Kinda reminds me of an old hippie!:lol: Rye

Wow! Finegler! :excl: A husband who actually listens to what his wife talks about! You are something great. :) Does she know you actually know what she's concerned about? You are wonderful.

But what was so refreshing about your post is that you are a husband who really seems to be aware of what your wife is concerned about. How truly nice. :)

:blush: Thanks for the kind words. I don't know that I'm all that great. I have even helped her put a rinse in her hair once. You'd be surprised what a man will do for a little nookie.

I've even been known to wash a dish or twa, sweep the floor and (gasp) change a poopy diaper. My mother raised all of her kids to be very self reliant so I can be fairly domestic at times. I even contemplated going to school to be a chef after high school so I am completely at ease in the kitchen. I can whip up a mean garlic, lemon shrimp on pasta. I do a lot of prep work for the Mrs. She feeds me good.

Well I always liked the way Emmylou Harris looked with her grey hair

but some gals do need to slather than brain killer on their heads ta make em... easy on the eyes.

The wife and me like da looks and sounds of Emmylou Harris.........and da wife will let her hair go gray to a point.......................

Den she can't take it no more and colors it !! :blink:

:blush: You'd be surprised what a man will do for a little nookie.

So THAT'S why my husband helps out around the house so much....and here I thought he was just a nice guy!

OMG,

See?

Go figure?

Like my father my hair is dark, with a few grey hairs in it. It is thinner I think over all, and fades more easily. But I dont do much to it. When I was a child my braid was cut off to a "pixie"... lol.. And later perms were tried, and failed over and over again.. Shirley Temple I was not.. lol. When I was finally able to I grew it all one lenght parted it in the middle and called it a day. Over time I have by request gone back to bangs, cut it shorter.. Even wore it shorter and tired to perm it again.. in 48 hours I do not have one curl in my hair. Some where along the line is a red head in my family though.. cuz in the sun I get redish colored shot thur my dark hair. Nice part about getting old is you can take off your glasses, look in the mirror and think you look darn good for your age.. not a line on your face.. lol... Someday when I retire, I hope to say to heck with it and let it grow out and braid it again. Easier .. lol

Like my father my hair is dark, with a few grey hairs in it. It is thinner I think over all, and fades more easily. But I dont do much to it. When I was a child my braid was cut off to a "pixie"... lol.. And later perms were tried, and failed over and over again.. Shirley Temple I was not.. lol. When I was finally able to I grew it all one lenght parted it in the middle and called it a day. Over time I have by request gone back to bangs, cut it shorter.. Even wore it shorter and tired to perm it again.. in 48 hours I do not have one curl in my hair. Some where along the line is a red head in my family though.. cuz in the sun I get redish colored shot thur my dark hair. Nice part about getting old is you can take off your glasses, look in the mirror and think you look darn good for your age.. not a line on your face.. lol... Someday when I retire, I hope to say to heck with it and let it grow out and braid it again. Easier .. lol

I never brush my hair, as it's fine, and that damages it. I'm normally in the comb-it-with-my-fingers, part-it-in-the-middle-and-call-it-a-day crowd, but of late, I've not even been doing that. I've been putting on a painter's or a ball cap and pulling it through the loop in the back, to keep it out of my face. (I spend a lot of time bending over my husband, helping him, as he's handicapped these days.)

But when I get my act together sometimes, I do comb it a little bit, but still part it down the middle. Sometimes I tuck it behind an ear. Not very stylish, but then I don't hang around with any stylish crowd.

Well anyway, good luck.

So, here is the thing.. I do not have one bit of interest in guys with no grey at all.. they are too young.. My best pal dyes his mustache and I hate it. and his sideburns tooll yuck.. Geesh... Sam Elliot is awesome looking so is Richard Geer and they don't have to dye their hair. Emmalous Harris a few years back had beautiful hair and she was turning grey. As I age I prefer the looks of people my age.. not the kids. But we all have to do what makes us "feel" good.. not what makes me feel good.. darn it.. lol... I bet yor wife looks great to you no matter what she has on her head!! Cuz you love her..

I try to look good when I go out, but good for me.. not by some silly culture that says cut your hair, or dye it.. or balding heads NEED hair.. none of it is true.. Here is the real truth.. I have fallen in love with more people who look like themselves and are fun, nice, and enjoy my company... Has nothing to do with their hair. Robert Duval... I am love with the characters he plays, his looks, his actions.. to me he is better looking than any Brad Pitt... But then hey, like daddy said he raised smart girls not pretty ones.. so much for taste on my part.. lol

I never brush my hair, as it's fine, and that damages it. I'm normally in the comb-it-with-my-fingers, part-it-in-the-middle-and-call-it-a-day crowd, but of late, I've not even been doing that. I've been putting on a painter's or a ball cap and pulling it through the loop in the back, to keep it out of my face. (I spend a lot of time bending over my husband, helping him, as he's handicapped these days.)

But when I get my act together sometimes, I do comb it a little bit, but still part it down the middle. Sometimes I tuck it behind an ear. Not very stylish, but then I don't hang around with any stylish crowd.

My only hair care is one passed down in my family.. the use of oil in our hair.. I use Jojoba oil.. grandmother used oil.. lol.. enough said.. I have used a very expensive lotion on my face for ages and it helps.. you may want to invest in it.. Ponds..lol I am getting older, trying to stay healthy but nothing fixes what time does ... I have had a few women tell me I need to cut my hair it is too long for my "age".. yeah. maybe.. but I don't see women out there with short hair that look young either at my age.. lol.. Short, long, permed, curled, natuarl or not.. all I can do is keep it clean and healthy. I focus on others more now which is a good thing. I like to dress up my best pal thinking I might get him to date someone if he ever finds someone he likes.. Now I need to get him to stop dying stuff.. geesh..

So, here is the thing.. I do not have one bit of interest in guys with no grey at all.. they are too young.. My best pal dyes his mustache and I hate it. and his sideburns tooll yuck.. Geesh... Sam Elliot is awesome looking so is Richard Geer and they don't have to dye their hair. Emmalous Harris a few years back had beautiful hair and she was turning grey. As I age I prefer the looks of people my age.. not the kids. But we all have to do what makes us "feel" good.. not what makes me feel good.. darn it.. lol... I bet yor wife looks great to you no matter what she has on her head!! Cuz you love her..

I try to look good when I go out, but good for me.. not by some silly culture that says cut your hair, or dye it.. or balding heads NEED hair.. none of it is true.. Here is the real truth.. I have fallen in love with more people who look like themselves and are fun, nice, and enjoy my company... Has nothing to do with their hair. Robert Duval... I am love with the characters he plays, his looks, his actions.. to me he is better looking than any Brad Pitt... But then hey, like daddy said he raised smart girls not pretty ones.. so much for taste on my part.. lol

Hi Deja,

I know that your style is yours and not hers, but—in a positive way—the freedom of expression you enjoy reminds me of Pauley Perrett on NCIS http://www.tv.com/pauley-perrette/person/2958/photos.html I admire the way she is herself.

Archived