SASS Wire Forum

"Midwest?"

Cash Duckett

Not trying to cause trouble, but how can anyone call Ohio "midwest"? Looks to me like at least two-thirds of the way east. Never could figure that one out. East of the Mississippi too. Just sayin.

Cash

The Midwest Regional use to be in Illinois about 60 miles west of Springfield. Il. When that match closed down, it moved to Ohio as the people there had a great match going and they offered to take it. This was before the range in Sparta Il and the Guns of August is on the east side of the Midwest, and it is a great match. It is worth the time to go, but be warned, the range only goes uphill. The guys out there are a great bunch and if you can go, it is worth the trip.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

If it's not part of the Midwest, where is it?

The Mideast!

(what did I win?)

ts

Before it was Ohio it was called the "Western Reserve". Just sayin................

The Midwestern United States is one of the four U.S. geographic regions defined by the United States Census Bureau, providing an official definition of the American Midwest. The region consists of 12 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

Yup, the government got that wrong too.

As was pointed out, Ohio was long ago the "Western Reserve," also a part of the Northwest territory. It has long been called the "Gateway to the Midwest." Geographically, Ohio is west of that once obstacle to westward expansion, the Appalachian Mountains, which typically separates all that is the midwest from "the east." Ohio is also part of the Mississippi River Valley With the Rocky Mountains forming the western terminus of the watershed. Like most of the midwest, Ohio also has a strong agricultural heritage. So, since we have common geography, midwestern culture and heritage, what else could we be?

Really! What difference does it make?

Everything west of New York City and east of Los Angles is "fly over country" anyway and has absolutely no value to the intelligentsia and politicos.

The real problem, as I see it, is that the "Midwest" Regional doesn't serve the Midwest. Putting the regional at the very edge of the regon makes it unaccessable to most midwesteners unless they are willing and able to take a weeks vacation and afford the travil and lodging. I'm in Missouri and could take a three day weekend to go to the regional in Illinois. Now to attend I'd be looking at a two day drive, lodging, food and gas. I used to attend every year but have not been able to afford the vacation time or expence since it moved. I'm sure it is a fine shoot but twio weeks of vacation, a son and grandchildren in Iowa, a daughter and a grandchild in Arkansas, and a 88 year old mother in Illinois simply don't add up to a week going to Ohio.

Bugs

Archived