SASS Wire Forum

E Clampus Vitus

Eamon Chute

So on Saturday I was working with some brothers cleaning up a stretch of I-280 in San Mateo County and while at lunch we were talking about hobbies, interests, and such. Well I mentioned that I participate in CAS and was going to a "shoot" the next day. They were all very interested and asked tons of questions. All were truly interested since, as an organization, we all share a passion for the history of the old west in general, and the history of pioneer California in particular. What piqued my interest the most was that they all assumed that there were a lot of ECV members in SASS and participating in CAS events regularly.

My question then is to the esteemed members of the SASS community is:

Are there any other brother Clampers on here? I think there must be.

I ask this question in the Saloon of course because, well....if your a Clamper you know why!

What say the brethren?

EC

Hi Eamon,

Hubby had a job once where, after work, they anointed him as a Clamper. That is the only thing I know about them and he's never participated in any Clamper "events." However, I do know they stopped at a bar frequently on the way home from work.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I know of 2, Cap Roundtree and San Dab Sam both are Clampers. I have heard the stories of what and why but since I'm not a Clamper, I don't remember because it is not important to me

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Just Wikipedia'd E Clampus Vitus... and couldn't tell much 'bout it....

But that don't surprise me none... you can Wikipedia the KGC... and that thing 'bout organizin' a grand "golden circle of southwestern slave states" is the biggest crock of sh*t to ever be put into print. The golden circle is no more than the glow of a campfire.

BTW... is the "E Clampus Vitus" words Latin for somethin'?

ts

It's an "out west" thing, Bob... Ramrod oughtta be chiming in shortly! ^_^

That,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and there was a conflict with my "Ancient & Honorable Order Of The Turtles" membership.

Tull

YBYSAIA

I hate jargon.

And just when I was gonna change my SASS alias to "jargon"... you had to go and say that!

ts

That,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and there was a conflict with my "Ancient & Honorable Order Of The Turtles" membership.

Tull

YBYSAIA

You got it, Perfesser~!! :lol:

Says the army guy? :wacko:

I USED to be an Army guy.

I gots no idee whut ewe all is jawin abouts.

Mebbe they'll let us uninformed in on it eventually, Griz.

Mebbe not.

You probably have to know the secret handshake. :lol:

A Clamper and a Turtle, too. Are you a Turtle? :)

you bet your sweet ass I am

YBYSAIA

Ah! :lol:

I never heard of this. It reminds me: Once, many years ago, I worked at JPL, in Pasadena, for a while—a marvelous place where you go to lunch and discuss speed-of-light problems with whomever is across the table—and on driving to work one morning, I happened to park the car behind someone who had a bumper sticker on the back that said, "Stop Continental Drift."

I sat there and laughed for five minutes. It was the kind of thing that could almost be possible in that brainy crowd, but it was also obviously for humor.

I had security find me the owner of the car, and I called him up and talked with him on the phone. He told me they sometimes go out to fault lines and stretch a huge rubber band across the fault line, nail it down on both sides of it...

On reading about the Clampers—totally new to me—it seems like a fun-loving group that likes to get together and goof off? Drink? Kind of a ground pounders version of "Quiet Birdmen"? I'm guessing? (I'm obviously not in any of those, so guessing.) Kind of the man's version of the red-hatters? Only you're the red-shirters?

I don't know. New to it all. But it's funny.

If my husband were into being a clamper, then I guess I could join the flat-earth society or Stop Continental Drifters—OR, tell him he can do whatever he wants, but while he's gone, I'll wait for him in Vegas.

Just Wikipedia'd E Clampus Vitus... and couldn't tell much 'bout it....

But that don't surprise me none... you can Wikipedia the KGC... and that thing 'bout organizin' a grand "golden circle of southwestern slave states" is the biggest crock of sh*t to ever be put into print. The golden circle is no more than the glow of a campfire.

BTW... is the "E Clampus Vitus" words Latin for somethin'?

ts

I think "E Clampus Vitus" is reminiscent of the essence of the group: faux intelligence, like it's meant to playfully sound important, for fun, but it's really b*** s***. I don't think it actually says anything; I think it's just meant to have fun with sounding like it could be for something—and in THAT, it does stand for something: an intellectualized source of play, humor, and an excuse for good, relaxed times.

For you clampers out there: How did I do?

OK, the long and short of it:

Founded in 4005bc by Adam, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus is the worlds oldest fraternal orginization.(tongue tightly pressed into cheek)

Originally started in the mining country of the West, the miners were too uncouth and dirty to be members of the Fraternal Orginizations of the time Masons and Odd Fellows, and since the other Frats didn't have booze at their meetings, the Clampers were born.

True to the men of the day, the Clampers were a bunch of fun loving, hard drinking men who came to town on Friday and Saturday nights to blow off steam and rejoice in living another week after working in the mines.

The Clamper creed is Credo Quia Absurdum, I believe because it's absurd.

The Motto of For the Care of the Widows and Orphans, especially the Widows, isn't just talk. In the old west, if a miner was hurt or killed, his family suffered also. It wasn't odd for an injured clamper or the widow of a killed clamper to find groceries on the porch or the deed on the house paid off by an anonymous group.

In the early 1900's, mining was dieing out and three San Francisco newspaper men were reading about Clampers and found the last living Clamper from the old days and revived the Order.

Today, Clampers are into Monumental Erections, get you mind out of the gutter, if you go just about anywhere in the western United States, you'll see large monuments with plaques talking about some obscure piece of local history. These monuments have probably been erected by the local Chapter of E Clampus Vitus.

As for Clamper Cowboy Shooters, there are about 75 at this writing.

Sand Dab Sam

Cap Round Tree

Nyack Jack

Sutter Lawman

Diamond Dick

Rum Walker

Jasper Kirby

Percy Halen

Tres Pinos

Inspector Finwick

Longhorn

Wildcat John

El Passo Gasso

Moncton Kid

Tie Long

Payne Fullyslow

Dice Roy

Hank Dodge

Salinas Cowboy

Tippecanoe

Sweet Tooth Kelly

Flying W Ramrod

and a bunch I know I've forgot

If you're truly an old west kind of guy and enjoy the oddities of the Old West, you should be a Clamper.

Just stand up at a shoot and yell, What Say The Brethren and introduce youself to anyone who answers.

See you at a Doins' somewhere on the Clamp Trail

Flying W Ramrod

Grand Noble Humbug

El Viceroy, Marques de Branciforte Chapter 1797

Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus

When I was stationed in CA I heard about the Clampers but it was all second-hand. If I'd stayed there I would have tried to find them but I don't think they are anywhere outside that area. I had a good time in CA, also learned about Emperor Norton and found out that Nevada City has a Joe Cain Day parade. It's kind of a shame the Clampers aren't more widespread, but I guess if they were bigger it just wouldn't be the same.

One could read the history of the organization at

http://www.eclampusvitus.com/

and still not know what it is about. Perhaps the motto says everything:

CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM – BECAUSE ITS ABSURD I BELIEVE

QUOTED FROM E CLAMPUS VITUS, THEN AND NOW, 1852-1979

Ah! But what about ladies?

Once a year most Chapters hold a Widders Ball. I know, who knew widders had balls?

Anyway, that's where the Clamper,also known as a Redshirt, and his widder attend a dress, yes Victorian/SASS/Clamper period, soiree complete with dinner, drinks, dancing and debauching.

As for only being in California, not so mi amigo. Oregon, Washington, Idaho, New Mexico, Arizona, Georgia, West By God Virginia, Colorado.

Remember, where ever you see four clampers, you'll find a fifth.

And so recorded

At first hearin' bout this... sounded too much like a real, painful cure for veneral disease to suit me.

But... it's not bad... I kinda like the absurdity associated with it... and on second thought, it appears to be a fun group.

That's what I get for relyin' on first impressions.

ts

Aunt Jen ya' done good! Pretty darn close.

Mr. Ramrod sir I am honored! A GNH of the ancient order! Well done! I'd say something else, but you know what I mean. And I've shot with a lot of those you mentioned. I had NO IDEA they were of the brotherhood. I believe we need to honor participation in SASS by the brethren by wearing some "tin." At least as a way of recognition. Any ideas?

There is a huge "fun" and "absurdity" associated with the order, but many chapters dedicate themselves to some sort of charitable work. Most along the lines of history, but some do other things. I was asked to play pipes at a funeral for a veteran of the Korean war by a Clamper chapter. The vet had no family and few friends in his area and was down on his luck to boot. The local Clamper chapter took it upon themselves to bury this hero with honor and dignity, bearing the entire cost. No questions asked. And he wasn't Clamper....just an American hero.

And as for history, it's said that every historical society and preservation group in California has a Clamper on its' Board of Directors. No way to know for sure, but every historical society I've come across has had at least one. My esteemed chapter raised a lot of money for the preservation of the liberty ship Jeremiah O'Brien and we hold a doins' on it every June. We had 40 new members initiated that night ranging from a liberal democrat aged 25 working at K-Mart to a very conservative republican 92 year old retired Marine Corps General. And both were having a great laugh at the end of it all over an adult beverage!

Of course there are the plaques. They honor smaller, seemingly insignificant events, but those events have a way have giving great meaning to history.

Many Clamper chapters have ceremonies on Memorial Day in honor of those who paid the ultimate price. Our last one included an anvil firing. Those of you who don't know what that is, well use the Googlie thing and find one on youtube. They are literally a blast!

From my interaction with many here in the Saloon (acs), if the following ARE NOT Clampers they certainly have shown through their good will and frivolity that they should be:

Utah Bob (we honor the military at every chance...you're a natural)

Badger Mountain Charlie (ya' have it ya' lad....you were just born to be a Clamper)

Hardpan Crumudgeon (your name says it all)

Grizzly Dave (you already have the look, love pizza and beer....you might as well make it official)

And really anyone else who thinks any of the above are worthy pursuits.

Eamon Chute

-Right wrongs nobody-

E Clampsus Vitus - Yerba Buena #1

All Hail Emperor Norton!

you bet your sweet ass I am

YBYSAIA

Yup!

When I was stationed in CA I heard about the Clampers but it was all second-hand. If I'd stayed there I would have tried to find them but I don't think they are anywhere outside that area. I had a good time in CA, also learned about Emperor Norton and found out that Nevada City has a Joe Cain Day parade. It's kind of a shame the Clampers aren't more widespread, but I guess if they were bigger it just wouldn't be the same.

Doc Maynard Chapter 54-40, Seattle, 1960. That ain't in "the area".

Archived