SASS Wire Forum

Condor Suppositories

Catchy title, huh...? :rolleyes:

Well, that's what I've taken to calling the "lead free" boolits we're required to use for hunting in this area.

So I loaded up a bunch of .250-3000 Savage and .30-30 rounds with Barnes and Hornady "lead-free" pills in a variety of load configurations and headed to the range today with Sassparilla Kid, hoping to find one acceptable for the upcoming deer season.

What an afternoon! I'm pleased to report that we managed to achieve "Minute-of-Pie-Plate" accuracy! :D

Seriously, I have no doubt about delivering an effective shot within reasonable range. But dang... the light-weight boolits just were not all that impressive accuracy-wise. Granted, it was a VERY blustery day - but groups were about twice the size I'm used to shooting with lead-core bullets under similar conditions. And with my Marlin 336 the group was about 8" high, even with the Lyman 66 reciever sight bottomed out. And no, I'm not going to replace the front sight - it's a Marble's Sheard sight I installed at the same time as the Lyman, back in 1971... I'll just buy my future tags for "lead friendly" zones and resign myself to driving a bunch of hours to get there.

All to save the condor! Dang... I don't think there's been a condor sighting in these parts since Fred Flintstone was a Cave Scout~! :wacko:

What Zone are you hunting in Hardpan. My Cousin and I use to hunt D5 east of Angle Camp

What Zone are you hunting in Hardpan. My Cousin and I use to hunt D5 east of Angle Camp

Howdy, Shoer~!

We have tags for Dawg Seven... D-7, mostly east and a bit north of Fresno into the Sierras.

Most of my hunting in the past has been in the Mendocino and Tahoe Forests, and up in Siskiyou County... plus the old "coastal" zones on the central coast.

I'm old... I remember when there were basically two major zones and one or two "X" zones. We now have something like 45 zones... A few years ago the Kid and I planned a trip up to an area I'd hunted a lot back in my "yout'," up in the Tahoe forest northwest of Truckee. So I got the regs... and wouldn't you know it, the area was now two zones - 3 and 4.

I couldn't figure it out, so I took a topo map and the regs to the DFG office and asked 'em to help me identify the boundaries on the topo map. Two of 'em tried... then said they couldn't help me, the boundaries were too complex for them to identify on the map - but the onus was on ME to be sure I was in the right place or I'd be in big trouble...!

Ya almost need to take a surveyor and a lawyer with ya! :unsure:

Sheesh! :(

Archived