SASS Wire Forum

Revolving Carbine legal for SASS as rifle?

Scratch McCoy

Im new to SASS and CAS and I was wondering if the Uberti Revolving Carbine can legally be used as a match rifle. Appreciate the help pardners!

In a word..................No.

Not trying to be rude here, but read the SASS rule book, go to a few matchs and see what the folks there shoot.

And welcome to the fire !! ;)

Im new to SASS and CAS and I was wondering if the Uberti Revolving Carbine can legally be used as a match rifle. Appreciate the help pardners!

No, they are not legal. Shooter's handbook page 9'

"Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever

or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899,

incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer. Rifles with box magazines may not

be used. Certain shooting categories require a specific type of rifle and ammunition to be

used."

Shooter's Handbook page 9: "Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899, incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer."

The problem with the revovler is that you'd have to reload in the middle of the stage.

-Solo Sam

As a new shooter, I would direct you to your local club. There you should try out several firearms that the shooters there use. Believe me they will be more than happy to let you try them on for size and feel. The revolver carbine looks great but you don't get scored on style.

As a direct answer to your question - Main match rifles must be lever or slide action.

The revolver carbine would require at least a 4 shot reload each time you used it and most of the time a 5 shot reload. This would put you at a significant disadvantage to the other shooters. You would also need to keep your support hand rearward of the front of the cylinder as the gas escaping from between the cylinder and the barrel would burn you severely.

Howdy,

Revolving carbines and lever action pistols seem to be the orphans of sass.

They were certainly part of the old west tv and movies but were left out

of sass, at least so far.

Perhaps down the road this might change but dont hold your breath.

As you seem to be shopping, be sure to look for used rifle with action job

already done.

Pards sometimes change rifles in hopes of gettin a little more speed.

Their old rifle may be just what you need.

Try before you buy.

Best

CR

Actually revolving carbines are legal in mounted shooting. Mounted shooting is more fast paced than ground pounders.

Maybe because it is hard to get blanks to shoot in many if not most lever rifles. I do not believe mounted shooting is more fast paced. The shooting part sure isn't.

Welcome to the fun Pard. I'm sure you'll have a great time at your local club shoot. Let us know how it goes.

Actually revolving carbines are legal in mounted shooting. Mounted shooting is more fast paced than ground pounders.

Balloon Busters are faster paced....... :lol: Only in your Dreams :excl:

As others have said, not legal per the rules.

That being said, I have seen one, once, turn up at a match. It was based on a '58 Remmington style revolver, and for the reload, the shooter in question swapped cylinders. It was slow, but fun to watch, and nobody objected.

If you already have one, bring it to a local match, and you may be allowed to use it. Bring a conventional main match rifle in case they say no.

You will find that, over time, at local level shoots, that is to say, non state, regional or national ones, that the rules of what is allowed might be bent occasionally, if not outright broken, in the name of fun. There are a handful of shotguns, pistol and rifles that existed in the Old West, or at least in old Westerns, that are for whatever reason, not a part of our game. Some of them do occasionally turn up at local level shoots, and the most common reaction to them is grins of interest, not a rigid forbidance.

We have a couple of guys who occasionally shoot their 7 shot Spencers. They have to reload every stage and as a result shoot real slow. We all have a good time. Of course a Spencer is a legal main match gun, but one that comes up short for speed.

As for an orginal revolving rifle I used to shoot a orginal Colt 1855 44 caliber revolving rifle that had a six shot cyclinder. They are harder to shoot because they spit fire and sometimes lead back in your face and alone with unburnt powder that gets in your eyes. Another thing is the risk of a chain fire with your hand in front of a chamber when it chain fires. I had one chamber that was delayed going off and when it did it took the end of my leather glow off burning the end on my finger. It was fun to shoot but you had to know the dangers with it. I killed a number of wild hogs and a few deer as well. I have always been one to desire to shoot old guns the same way they were shot in their day.

Texas Man

Balloon Busters are faster paced....... :lol: Only in your Dreams :excl:

We don't bust balloons riding stick horses like you ground pounders do. :P We do it from the back of real live God bless John Wayne and Roy horses. :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Excuse me now while I go to Wal-Mart and practice for my next match on their merry-go-round ponies. :lol:

Another thing is the risk of a chain fire with your hand in front of a chamber when it chain fires. I had one chamber that was delayed going off and when it did it took the end of my leather glow off burning the end on my finger.

Texas Man

You mean to say that you had all of those chambers going off at once and you still MISSED the target? :lol::lol::lol:

We don't bust balloons riding stick horses like you ground pounders do. :P We do it from the back of real live God bless John Wayne and Roy horses. :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Not sure about you....but I've never been to a cowboy ACTION match where we rode stick horses and played Balloon Busters!! :)

Myself, I've never really cared about playing a pretend hollyweird B western actor!! :P

Excuse me now while I go to Wal-Mart and practice for my next match on their merry-go-round ponies. :lol:

I just thought mounted shooting was a way full grown men could do barrel racing without being mistaken for teen age girls.

I once shot my Remi at a long range pistol caliber side match...think I actually hit the target once. :D Cowboy Junky's right 'bout the football bat though. Ya' gotts to know how to hold 'em.

Well, shooting the stage requires that all instructions must be fulfilled while shooting so as a comparison with mounted shooters yall gots to run on foot through their stage and compare the time required thet way, but remember, no matter which which time turns out to be the fastest, more fokes are coming to see the horse perform than are there to wtch you shoot and also think about what a great sentence this has turned into, almost a whole paragraph on one small breath, WHEW and good by!

Much like when I play hockey the visible speed at which I cross the ice has little to do with the amount of effort being put forth.

Mounted may not seem really fast, but there is a whole lot going on. A certain amount of effort is expended in simply not falling off the horse.

When I last saw this discussed, there was concern over safety, that shooters would place the off hand forward of the cylinder face.

Cheers,

BJT

When I last saw this discussed, there was concern over safety, that shooters would place the off hand forward of the cylinder face.

Cheers,

BJT

So set a requirement for gauntlets to protect people from powder burns, require hands to be behind the cylinder on muzzleloaders or set a "do so at your own risk" requirement. Not that I'm a huge advocate for the revolving carbine, but I think they'd be sort of neat -- and it would let me shoot my 1860 Army with its shoulder stock as a main-match rifle (albeit as a muzzle-loader).

I bought my Remington 1866 Carbine in the mid-to late 1980's. I was shooting lots of BP then. The piece is a safe queen now. I would love to shoot it in a SASS match once in a while.

They are safe to shoot as long as you hold them the proper way.(Both hands behind the cylinder) The grip frame is designed for a two hand hold grip.

If revolving long guns were legal, I would definitely be trying to accumulate two for a mid-string swap off. These would add another option to the Frontiersman and the FC categories, repeaters were not very bountiful during this period. I tend to think the safety factor has more to do with not allowing it than does the time factor, which can be overcome. Then again, perhaps it was not even considered when the rifle rules were written. I have little doubt that my club would allow these at the local monthly match, if requested.

I'm not certain if the club where I shoot now would allow it. I've thought about loading up both of the 1860 revolvers (they're both cut for the shoulder stock), and then swapping the stock at mid-point to finish a string. Like I said, I'm not a huge advocate or anything, I just think it would be an interesting change of pace.

I am sure there are some circumstances that could arise to make the local director less friendly towards wavers but I have found them to be very friendly and receptive over these type issues in the past. Lets face it, after the first stage or two everyone has had their jollies watching the circus show and want the match to move along at a reasonable pace. I want to be sure that I have my ducks in a row before seeking permission, as in the statement on using two rifles rather than performing a cap and ball reload on the clock. If a gun fails I never spend more than a second or two on it before laying it down and going to the next gun. These are some of the polite things to do that will assure good results when asking for special attention again in the future. For those who are interested Bottom Dealing Mike has a recent post with link to shooting the revolving carbine that is interesting and educational if you care to do a search.

I am sure there are some circumstances that could arise to make the local director less friendly towards wavers but I have found them to be very friendly and receptive over these type issues in the past. Lets face it, after the first stage or two everyone has had their jollies watching the circus show and want the match to move along at a reasonable pace. I want to be sure that I have my ducks in a row before seeking permission, as in the statement on using two rifles rather than performing a cap and ball reload on the clock. If a gun fails I never spend more than a second or two on it before laying it down and going to the next gun. These are some of the polite things to do that will assure good results when asking for special attention again in the future. For those who are interested Bottom Dealing Mike has a recent post with link to shooting the revolving carbine that is interesting and educational if you care to do a search.

Not shooting two rifles -- shooting a pistol with a carbine stock, and then moving the stock to a second pistol (just to be accurate -- I don't disagree with your statement).

Archived