SASS Wire Forum

Question about gun carts

Matthew Duncan

What is the maximum width of your gun cart?

At the Indiana State Hoosier Ambush a cowpoke (or 2) would sit in the bed of a UTV, hang on to their carts and get a ride to the range or parking lot.

This gave me a idea!

A v-trough with an axle attached to a UTV. Gun cart wheels would ride in the v-trough and the cowpoke could rest his feet on the axle and go for a ride.

But I ain't got no idea how wide to make it. So if'n y'all would kindly measure the overall width of your cart, it the measurement here,I'd greatly appreciate it.

At the Indiana State Hoosier Ambush a cowpoke (or 2) would sit in the bed of a UTV, hang on to their carts and get a ride to the range or parking lot.

This gave me a idea!

A v-trough with an axle attached to a UTV. Gun cart wheels would ride in the v-trough and the cowpoke could rest his feet on the axle and go for a ride.

But I ain't got no idea how wide to make it. So if'n y'all would kindly measure the overall width of your cart, it the measurement here,I'd greatly appreciate it.

Curley's Cart

here is my cart. It holds three rifles and 2 shotguns. It measures just a shade under 15" wide on the box, and over all is 22". I like these wheels, they take the rocks well, especially if just a bit low on air.

has been a good serviceable $100 cart. We have had as many as 4 shooters shootin outta it at times, and almost always me and Old Top are sharing it.

good shootin

curley

I would be the last person to ask....my first cart was the size of a conestoga wagon and twice as heavy...a word of advice....measure and check the weight limit of your vehicle that you will haul your cart in

This gave me a idea!

My suggestion would be to make your cart the same width as your UTV or slightly narrower so it will fit in the bed when transporting it empty. With the wide variety of cart widths i see at shoots it would be hard to make something that would fit any two carts at the same time.

My suggestion would be to make your cart the same width as your UTV or slightly narrower so it will fit in the bed when transporting it empty. With the wide variety of cart widths i see at shoots it would be hard to make something that would fit any two carts at the same time.

No, no, no. I ain't making my point clear.

I ain't hauling my cart! Plus the bed of a UTV is too high to left carts into!

You posterior goes in the UTV bed. You hang on to your gun cart as the Driver of the UTV hauls you! Instead of wondering if your guncart wheels can handle the speed, the gun cart wheels are resting just a fuzz of the ground in the v-trough. V-trough is attached to the UTV!

Figure hauling two Cowpokes at a time, so average gun cart width x 2 = v-trought width.

No, no, no. I ain't making my point clear.

I ain't hauling my cart! Plus the bed of a UTV is too high to left carts into!

You posterior goes in the UTV bed. You hang on to your gun cart as the Driver of the UTV hauls you! Instead of wondering if your guncart wheels can handle the speed, the gun cart wheels are resting just a fuzz of the ground in the v-trough. V-trough is attached to the UTV!

Figure hauling two Cowpokes at a time, so average gun cart width x 2 = v-trought width.

I Don't quite understand what you mean by V-trough ....but I am guessing you are thinking about something like a small car dolly

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200401171_200401171

if I was going to make something to hall a cart or 2 behind a UTV or ATV I would start with a small trailer of some sort...like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7262_7262

Or hitch rack type of thing might work

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200337467_200337467

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442143_200442143

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Won't a V trough lower the axle (fulcrum point) of a normal two-wheeler cart?

That would make them prone to be ass-heavy and tip. Or am I missing the design idea?

MG

Let's keep it simple... How wide is your gun cart?

The conestoga is 30" Center to center of the 3" wide hand truck wheels and my single baby jogger cart is 22" Center to Center of 1-1/2 " wheels

I have no clue. Maybe I'll measure it tomorrow and get back to ya. Need to air up one of the tires for this weekends match anyway.

Just make sure you make the tongue of the trailer long enough that you leave yourself enough turning radius.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

26" wide

If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting something that would be attached to the rear of the UTV and would hang down, so that the wheels of a gun cart could be placed in it and rest securely. The shooter then holds the gun cart in place by the cart's handles while he or she rides in the bed of the UTV. Is that correct? So you are essentially trying to figure out the average width of gun carts at their widest point, which would most likely be the outer hubs?

23 5/8", give or take an inch or two.

I hope nobody falls off that contraption going around corners, over bumps, in the gravel and mud.

A quarter mile walk, off pavement, pushing a baby jogger weighing 50 pounds loaded is moderate exercise for many.

Those who prefer to haul furniture around make their own choices. :lol:

Archived