SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero vs Uberti Cattleman

Guest jettman96

Guest jettman96

So, I just went to my first shoot last weekend. I had a friend that let me borrow some of his guns and needless to say I'm hooked. I'm a regular shooter of modern firearms but, this is my first exposure to Single Action. Anyways, I've been looking around and it seems that two of the popular guns are the Ruger Vaquero and Uberti Cattleman. I won't lie, I'm somewhat partial to the Ruger but, I really like the idea of getting the matching set from Uberti.

So, the question is... Is one better than the other and why?

Thanks for the help,

Jett

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll get about as many opinions as there are people in SASS. At the distances we shoot in SASS, all of the handguns are adequate IMO. Some have better resale; some are fancier; some are more accurate; some are a little more balanced; but all are adequate to play the game. Buy what you like and can afford.

I dug my Evil Roys out of the cellar today that have been gathering dust, preferring my USFA. Shot a clean match today. They're all fine. Enjoy, and most of all, have fun.

Ruger. Bullet proof LOL.

I shoot Rugers and love them, tough guns, I wouldn't worry to shoot any factory load, and with the transfer bar intact you can carry it loaded with 6 if yer a mind to. Outside of a match of course :D

I can't compare the two side by side as I don't have any experience with the Uberti pistols.

They are all good, just buy the ones you are partial too. The way they fit your hand is more important than brand.

Except the Rugers do have a reputation for being tough as nails. If you read closely at his website when Longhunter fixes up Italian clones or even USFA's Rodeos for competition, a big part of his tune up is replacing the leaf springs with modern coil springs ala Ruger.

Rugers are American made if that makes a difference.

You'll get about as many opinions as there are people in SASS. At the distances we shoot in SASS, all of the handguns are adequate IMO. Some have better resale; some are fancier; some are more accurate; some are a little more balanced; but all are adequate to play the game. Buy what you like and can afford.

I dug my Evil Roys out of the cellar today that have been gathering dust, preferring my USFA. Shot a clean match today. They're all fine. Enjoy, and most of all, have fun.

Not to put too fine a point on it - but I'll be a friendly naysayer in this and disagree!

The distance we shoot at is irrelevant to the issue - the question is which guns do you like, and will they give you value for money?

If the gun only cost you $25.00, and gave you two seasons of shooting, you might think it's just fine. Likewise - if the gun costs you

a grand and fails every other shot, it's probably going to make you very angry.

Okie is right - they all have different attributes, and thus cost that goes all over the map as well . . .

The gun has to be reliable, and frankly - the most reliable guns out there are Ruger, although one could argue that a Colt or USFA is

just about as reliable as the Ruger. Some will point out that the internal action of the Colt and clones is a 130 plus year old design,

and while it was robust enough and technologically advanced enough back then - metallurgy and engineering design have moved on a lot, and

there are more robust internal designs which can more readily handle the multi-thousand round life a cowboy gun gets, unlike the old Colt

design.

Conversely - some folks like the music of a four click Colt - it has a righteous sound and feel when used by a romantic cowboy such as myself.

It is a modern gun in so far as the steel and the precision manufacturing, but I think my Rugers can take a hell of a lot more shooting without

showing the wear the Colt will. Most Colts and USFA guns need little work on them to be good enough to play with, and they get better with age,

as do Rugers.

If I am reloading I test in my Rugers, they're tough, and also half the price of a Colt, so if I screw up - it's less likely to break my bank!!

This is an emotional decision - facts are an encumbrance, you rally have to go with what satisfies your heart - whether it's a Colt or clone, a Ruger,

or what ever - it has to be because you figured out what makes sense - i.s. - it's what you've talked yourself into wanting!

Quality never costs as much as cheap . . . .

Shadow Catcher

Look at it this way: I bought a pair of .45 LC Cimarron Model P's (manufactured by Uberti) and after a year I am seriously considering selling them and getting .357 Rugers.

Just me, though.

-Solo Sam

I have both Ruger Old Model Vaqueros and Uberti Cattleman. Both have been great guns with out failures of any kind. Shot the Rugers for my first 4 years and have been shooting the Cattlemans for the last 4 years. Only reason I changed guns was I acquired two factory engraved Cattlemans that I really like. Bottom line is shoot what fits your hand the best and don't worry about it any further. Both guns will do you right.

I shoot Rugers and have narly a problem with any of them( I have several sets). A friend of mine shot the Evil Roys for a few years and had spring problems a couple of times. He switched to Rugers and has never looked back. Rugers are a case of getting more for less. Welcome to cowboy shooting.

DMJ

I've been shooting CAS since 1998. I have bought and traded innumerable pistols. I currently own 5 sets. When I take either my Cimmarron Ubertis or my GWII's by Pietta to a match a set of Rugers go as backups. When I take Rugers I don't take any backups.

Enough said. :)

I have clones and Rugers. Neither is faster than the other!! Neither is better than the other!! Just different.

I have seen used $600.00 a set colt clones work great.

Find what you like and can afford. Have them tuned if they are not already and learn how to shoot them.

Spend the $$$ on a really good rifle and shotgun.

That's my 2 cents.

Enjoy the sport!

Ringer

Either will work fine. You might consider the Pietta clones in addition to the Uberti (I think those would be sold as Great Western II (EMF) and I see that Longhunter Supply is selling Cimarron-imported Piettas now. The Italian guns are made in different finishes, some more expensive, some less.

You might want to compare a "stock" revolver with one that has been slicked up a bit. The different importers sell versions that are supposedly "match ready". If you decide you want some work done on it, you may come out better ordering the gun(s) from a reputable cowboy gunsmith. You'll save shipping and delay and most likely save some money.

I have Rugers in .38/.357. They are probably the most popular revolver in my area and they have a lot of good points-safe with six rounds if you ever wanted to use it for something other than a SASS match, simple to operate, rugged, good resale value.

A friend who is a new cowboy shooter. He opted for .45 caliber and bought Ubertis. I handled and shot them and there is something really fun about a Colt-style single action in a big bore caliber.

One small issue with the Ruger is that if you ever get ahead of yourself and fail to pull the hammer back all the way, it will cause you to miss a chamber. Then you have to go all the way around to fire it (click, click, click, click, click, bang). When I started out I read about "half cock conversions" to Ruger revolvers. I wondered why a shooter would buy a Ruger and then pay extra to have it converted. The reason is that if you have the half cock notch on the hammer, it will fall to the notch if you miss a chamber and you can re-cock and fire it without advancing the cylinder.

This is not a reason to avoid the Ruger, just something to keep in mind. If you have the proper technique you will seldom if ever have a problem.

I shoot Cimarron P modles and AWA and love them had Rugers and shot 5 shots in each and put them on the tail gate at a shoot and sold them.Rugers to big for my hands.Love my Cimarrons with thurderstorm hammers.

Guest Texas Jack Black

Pick what you like, Most are quality products .They ALL need work to be truly competitive and Rugers DO break just like the others.

T J B

My perspective on the various SAA's is from a gunsmiths view. Not what they cost or how well they retain their value. Purely from the mechanical perspective.

If you want tuff out of the box, Ruger is the way to go, buT I don`t consider it to be a true SAA clone. The ruger lock works were designed in the 1950's. It is nothing like the colt style lock basically unchanged since 1836.

Comparing Rugers to a colt SAA or Colt SAA clone is like comparing 60`s muscle cars to model T`s.

Rugers. Hands down. Not even close.

Built to last.

Lots of options on what hammer style you might like

with pretty much a drop in hammer swap.

You will NOT wear one out. Did I say they was built to last.

Easier and better for lots of dry fire practice. Which can really improve

your shooting and times without costing you any money.

Can trust heaver loads in Ruger if you want to use it

for something beside SASS.

Cost is close to the same and is an American built gun from an American Company.

Can do just about any after market thing to it you want. From adding the 4 click

to having it short stroked if that is your thing.

Did I mention it is tuff as nails and is made by a true American Company.

The top shooters don't pick them becasue they are faster. They pick them becasue they

can take the abuse that it takes to become a top shooter.

From what I have seen. The resale is also better.

If you think they HAVE to have work to be a great gun and fast.

Watch Duece Stevens World record run with box stock Rugers.

Rugers. Hands down. Not even close.

Built to last.

Lots of options on what hammer style you might like

with pretty much a drop in hammer swap.

You will NOT wear one out. Did I say they was built to last.

Easier and better for lots of dry fire practice. Which can really improve

your shooting and times without costing you any money.

Can trust heaver loads in Ruger if you want to use it

for something beside SASS.

Cost is close to the same and is an American built gun from an American Company.

Can do just about any after market thing to it you want. From adding the 4 click

to having it short stroked if that is your thing.

Did I mention it is tuff as nails and is made by a true American Company.

The top shooters don't pick them becasue they are faster. They pick them becasue they

can take the abuse that it takes to become a top shooter.

From what I have seen. The resale is also better.

If you think they HAVE to have work to be a great gun and fast.

Watch Duece Stevens World record run with box stock Rugers.

ever thing true, but want more calibers choices, like 44 Special, 44 WCF, or..... <_<

"It's whatever suits yer fancy" as my mamma used to say. I know the Rugers are built like tanks, they just never felt right in my hands. I prefer the Colt style reproductions, Uberti, Pietta, USFA.......all handle better with a little action work. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

The wife and I started out with a pair of Uberti Cattlemen that we shared. Ended up having to have work done on them because the guns were rough and slightly out of time. While they were being worked on, bought the wife a set of NM vaqueros and I found a used set of OM vaqueros. Got the Uberti's back and have never shot them. Bought a second set of SS NM vaqueros that the wife appropriated and then had engraved. Her first set are now the backup guns and the Ubertis are safe queens that will be loaned out to friends who want to try the sport. Probably will not buy any other pistols for SASS except Rugers (I did buy a used Taylor top break cuz they is cool!). Love da Ruger!

I have a wide range of pistols.

Old Model Vaqueros and Blackhawks are big and are not likley to fail, even with heavy BP loads.

New Model Vaqueros are very good but are slightly smaller than the OMV/BH.

Colts and Colt clones are smaller and mostly use flat springs, which are less robust than coiled music springs.

They are all good, much better than the shooters of the 1880's were exposed to. Each has has been used by very, very good shooters for many years. Each can be tuned and will require adequate maintenance.

Here is a fact that this middle-level shooter can offer:

It is not a good idea to mismatch frame sizes with holsters. OMVs and BHs will stretch Colt-size holsters and make it easier to drop a gun when moving. Shooting Colt-size guns in OMV/BH holsters is an eassy road to a DQ when the gun is not held in plaec while running (or what cowboys call running).

Pick your gun and get matching leather.

You will proably be happy with either set you buy.

But you may end up 'happier' if you get the Rugers.

Thats just my Opinion. But I base it on a set of Rugers that have been dry fired OVER 1.5 million cycles each. Plus, a few thousand live rounds have also been put down range with them.

Good luck in your decision and wish you well in shooting Cowboy with us.

..........Widder

I had never owned any of the guns we shoot before I started shooting CAS and have not been shootin CAS very long.

I started with a pair of stainless .357 Rugers w/ 4 5/8" barrels.

Then I bought a pair of Colt's .357 SAA's w/ 5 1/2" barrels & the blue/case hardened finish - been shooting these for over a year.

Never had any function issues with either pair - my wife now uses the stainless Rugers for her match guns after we changed out the springs and replaced the stock hammers with Super Blackhawk hammers.

My daughter just started shooting with us using a pair of .357 Colt clones (one Uberti, one Pietta) - no issues & I know the Pietta was a box stock gun (EMF Great Western II), the Uberti was used.

I just picked up a new pair of blued .357 Rugers w/ 5 1/2" barrels.

The Colt's/clones are smaller than the Ruger New Vaquero's - not a lot, but noticeable. I like the feel of the Colt's a little better, but I am gonna have a few mods done to my new Ruger's to make them easier to shoot gunfighter. Not gonna be cheap, but we'll see how it works out.

Guest jettman96

Thanks everyone. Definitely helped out. I've got a buddy that has a set of NM Vaqueros that I will try out at our next shoot just to make sure I like the way they feel before I finally make up my mind.

Thanks,

Jett

Thanks everyone. Definitely helped out. I've got a buddy that has a set of NM Vaqueros that I will try out at our next shoot just to make sure I like the way they feel before I finally make up my mind.

Thanks,

Jett

Yup - good idea to try 'em first - also, besides being a USA made firearm the Ruger customer service is tops and for a LIFETIME....that's gotta be worth somethin' too ;) Oh yeah, if'n ya use the revolvers outside of CAS they san safetly be carried with 6 cartridges, the Colt and it's croony cloneys cannot.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I shoot Ruger NMV's and Uberti Cattleman and I like them both. The Rugers I think are stronger but the Uberti's are more Western like with the Colt style of loading. Also I wante .38's with 7 1/2" barrel and the Rugers dont come that way.

So I guess at this point I don't need to add that comparing a Vaquero to a Cattleman is about like comparing apples and oranges.

Back in the 1950s Ruger put out his first single action revolvers. The most important thing Ruger did back then was to replace all the flat springs with coil springs. Flat springs can fatigue over time which can lead to breakage. Particularly with the split trigger/bolt spring and the hand spring. Of course the flip side of replacing the springs was it increased the number of moving parts. The coil springs needed a plunger to shove against the part they were moving. Ruger also radically redesigned the function of some of the internal parts, driving the cost out by making the parts simpler.

Then in the 1970s because of some legal issues Ruger completely redesigned all their single action revolvers. This resulted in the current transfer bar design which allows the gun to be safely carried with a lived round under the hammer. Never a safe practice with a Colt or clone. When Ruger redesigned the guns, they also scaled up the size of some of the internal parts. The cross sections are larger than Colt or clone parts. The fact that the internal parts have been scaled up a little bit, plus the removal of all the flat springs accounts for Rugers legendary reliability and indestructibility. Plus the Blackhawks and 'original model' Vaqueros were scaled up in size from the Colt, so they could take a heavier load.

The New Vaquero is almost the exact same size as a Colt or clone. The internal parts and springs are just as indestructible, but since they have been scaled down they can no longer take the monster loads that the 'original models' could. But they are perfectly fine to shoot with any standard SAAMI strength ammunition.

Personally, I prefer the feel and handling of a Colt. I prefer the old fashioned lockwork. But a pair of Vaqueros comes along to every match as backups, just in case. Last year I had to resort to my backups on two separate occasions.

There is a lot involved in your decision.

Just about every post in this thread has much truth to it - DEPENDING WHO YOU ARE.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT - and we all have different perceptions.

For instance: I am over 60 (old fart), have spent my entire life since my teenage years as an avid handgunner. Always the most powerful guns I could get my hands on (within reason). That means lots of 41 magnums, 44 magnums, etc. On the other hand I stop at the 44 magnum, don't consider things like 454 Casull and the like to be "reaonable" (but that's just MY humble opinion). The point here is that I LIKE RECOIL, and consider anything less than a 45 Colt or 44 Special to be no fun to shoot whatsoever. Now, before everyone piles on me about the merits of the 357/38, I don't much CARE what anybody else thinks - this is MY opinion. And you will have YOURS, or you will develop one very quickly. The whole POINT is that whatever floats YOUR boat is RIGHT for YOU.

Several posts have made reference to a gun fitting your hand. Well, 90% of that depends on what you have on it for GRIPS. Virtually ANY single-action can be made to "fit your hand" with the correct grips on it.

I shoot two original Ruger Vaqueros for my main match guns. Why? Because they were offered in 44 magnum and the Piettas and Ubertis were not. I just happen to like the idea that I can stuff them full of full-house magnum loads and use them for camp guns in case an ornery bear wants me for lunch. Sometimes our rationale doesn't really make much sense ... as mine in this case ... since I already owned three other perfectly good 44 magnums, and a stubby little 4" vaquero with smooth cowboy grips on it will literally make you BLEED if you stuff a full-house 44 magnum round in it and touch the snotty little bugger off. Those guns are strong and rugged. But they don't look like a Colt, feel like a Colt, load like a Colt or sound like a Colt.

So I have just bought a Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt to play with and enjoy that "more authentic flavor stuff". It will serve as a backup to my Rugers and I will ocasionally pair it with one of my Rugers to shoot a match with. Why a Uberti Cattleman instead of another clone? Because the Cattleman is the only clone that is offered in case/polished blue with a brass backstrap and trigger guard. I love the look of that combination.

Why didn't I buy a real Colt? Because spending three times as much money only buys you about two tenths more quality in the gun. (Again, MY humble opinion).

I am also a stickler for accuracy. If a gun won't consistently shoot a group well under one inch at 25 yards exactly at point of aim, it's about as useful as goose crap on a pump handle. No, we don't NEED that kind of accuracy for SASS, but that is MY standard ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT for any handgun. Neither of my Ruger Vaqueros would do that ... they both shot way left and the groups were awful ... more like patterns than groups. So I sent them off to Bob Munden, and when they came back they will both put all 6 shots into one ragged 5/8" hole exactly at point of aim. My Cattleman won't shoot up to my standards either ... not as bad as the Rugers were, but not good enough either. So it is also fixin' to be sent away for some "special education".

There is a lot involved in your decision.

Just about every post in this thread has much truth to it - DEPENDING WHO YOU ARE.

WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT - and we all have different perceptions.

For instance: I am over 60 (old fart), have spent my entire life since my teenage years as an avid handgunner. Always the most powerful guns I could get my hands on (within reason). That means lots of 41 magnums, 44 magnums, etc. On the other hand I stop at the 44 magnum, don't consider things like 454 Casull and the like to be "reaonable" (but that's just MY humble opinion). The point here is that I LIKE RECOIL, and consider anything less than a 45 Colt or 44 Special to be no fun to shoot whatsoever. Now, before everyone piles on me about the merits of the 357/38, I don't much CARE what anybody else thinks - this is MY opinion. And you will have YOURS, or you will develop one very quickly. The whole POINT is that whatever floats YOUR boat is RIGHT for YOU.

Several posts have made reference to a gun fitting your hand. Well, 90% of that depends on what you have on it for GRIPS. Virtually ANY single-action can be made to "fit your hand" with the correct grips on it.

I shoot two original Ruger Vaqueros for my main match guns. Why? Because they were offered in 44 magnum and the Piettas and Ubertis were not. I just happen to like the idea that I can stuff them full of full-house magnum loads and use them for camp guns in case an ornery bear wants me for lunch. Sometimes our rationale doesn't really make much sense ... as mine in this case ... since I already owned three other perfectly good 44 magnums, and a stubby little 4" vaquero with smooth cowboy grips on it will literally make you BLEED if you stuff a full-house 44 magnum round in it and touch the snotty little bugger off. Those guns are strong and rugged. But they don't look like a Colt, feel like a Colt or sound like a Colt.

So I have just bought a Uberti Cattleman in 45 Colt to play with and enjoy that "more authentic flavor stuff". It will serve as a backup to my Rugers and I will ocasionally pair it with one of my Rugers to shoot a match with. Why a Uberti Cattleman instead of another clone? Because the Cattleman is the only clone that is offered in case/polished blue with a brass backstrap and trigger guard. I love the look of that combination.

Why didn't I buy a real Colt? Because spending three times as much money only buys you about two tenths more quality in the gun. (Again, MY humble opinion).

Right on! - me likes your opinion pard :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Try as many different makes and styles as you can before you buy anything.Yes Ruger makes an excellent product;but if it doesn't feel right in YOUR hands it's going to be harder getting used to when you start shooting it on a regular basis.I've had Rugers....great guns...but they didn't "feel right" so I shoot open top conversions now and once in a while 75 Remingtons built by Uberti.All of these feel better to me when I use them than the Rugers did.And;BTW...Colt's aren't American made anymore and haven't been since the 70's.Colt sold all of their machinery to Uberti to have them do all the machine work.Doing that they have an agreement that Uberti can make "Colt clones" but only the ones coming back here to Colt can have the Colt logo.

I shoot Piettas for my cowboy guns but I have always had at least 1 blackhawk around the house working on 40 years now....I personally don't like the new ones....but the thing about a ruger is if you run out of rounds you can use it as a hammer when you get more rounds she is ready to shoot.

Archived