SASS Wire Forum

Would like to ask.

Pit Bull Tex

Anyone here use the cool shirts from J.Hornaday Dry Goods. I got some and I love them.I am a sweater. I am wet before I get out of the car.These I feel dry.I got some of their socks and my feet stayed dry all day weed eating and mowning.They are super people to deal with also.Just wondering if anyone has tried them.

I have a couple of them but I haven't really noticed them being any cooler than my regular shirts. I also don't particularly care for the sleeves as I like sleeves that I can button or roll up. They are good people to deal with but I don't think I'll be ordering anymore anytime soon.

I bought one for Waterloo and one for his dad, San Gabriel, for Christmas.

I tried to talk my hubby into letting me order one for him at the same time but he didn't think he would like them.

Once it started getting hot he ordered 3 for himself.

He loves them!!!

I have one and it is pretty good for Arkansas heat and humidity. I don't like that there are no cuffs on the sleeves, but that's minor. I would order one size larger than you normally wear. I usually wear an XL, it felt a little tight. Sent it back and got the 2X, it feels fine.

They have bandannas made from the same material as the shirts, I really like them. Soak it in water and put it on, gives a nice cooling effect.

I agree with Doc-I had read that they are sized a little small so I ordered one size larger than usual and the fit was about right.

If I wear a cotton shirt doing yard work on Saturday, I end up with a sweat soaked shirt stuck to my skin. Next day I put on the J. Hornaday shirt and shoot a match. It might be hot outside but my shirt stays dry. I have other shirts that I wear in other months but when it's really hot I reach for the "cool shirt".

I would prefer that it had buttoned cuffs and I don't care for the fit around the neck. The website now says that the shirts feature an "improved fit"; has anyone purchased an "old" and "new" shirt and is there a difference?

I also purchased a Wild Rag in the same fabric. I have since purchased some silk rags and notice that they show wrinkles where my J. Hornaday rag does not. I haven't tried soaking it in cold water (I have cool wraps for that) but will give that a try as well.

I have a couple of them but I haven't really noticed them being any cooler than my regular shirts. I also don't particularly care for the sleeves as I like sleeves that I can button or roll up. They are good people to deal with but I don't think I'll be ordering anymore anytime soon.

I'm with Taquila on the shirts. If there is no breeze (such as down in the berms) I actually feel hotter than if I was wearing a cotton shirt. I really don't like that the sleeves can't roll up. I guess I'm just not a fan of polyester anything. With all of that being said, I do hear that they have great customer service and the shirts do look nice.....they are just not for me.

bought one a couple years ago. ordered one size larger and it fits fine. However 1. Literature said it was "green". I don't know what to call the color I got, faded aqua or something but its a long way from green. 2. I'd like button cuffs and a pocket. 3. It felt funny against my hide. Not bad, just odd. Like woven Saran Wrap. Tried it on, its been in the closet since. I like cotton in hot weather. Too old to change I guess.

The O'Meara Himself

:FlagAm: I have worn them for a couple of years now. My old cotton shirt soaked with sweat would feel like it weighed 10 pounds by the end of a match here in south Texas. The cooler shirt helps evaporate the moisture faster. In a berm with no wind most any shirt will feel hot. The key thing to remember is to keep hydrated. Since the sweat wicks off faster your are losing more fluid than you realize. You do need to go at least one size larger than you normally feel comfortable in. This also makes the neck more comfortable if buttoned up and makes the arms and tail longer. No concerns about shirt coming loose when you bend over to pick up brass. I bought the arm garters they offer as the larger size has longer arm lengths.

I like them, but in humid South Jersey, I have not found them to be better than cotton. HOWEVER, wearing two of them together works well for the colder weather. Size tends to run small. Suggest ordering one size larger. If you mess up, do as I did and wear the smaller one under the larger one in cold weather.

--Ranger Dave

I'm with Taquila on the shirts. If there is no breeze (such as down in the berms) I actually feel hotter than if I was wearing a cotton shirt. I really don't like that the sleeves can't roll up. I guess I'm just not a fan of polyester anything. With all of that being said, I do hear that they have great customer service and the shirts do look nice.....they are just not for me.

What Cypress said. They don't really work all that well unless there is a breeze. As far as the fit and overall comfort, they are good. Prices are good as well.

I nearly died in the heat at one of my tune up shoots for Prince of Pistoleers. I got so hot I couldn't shoot down the road the next day. I contacted the nice people at J Hornaday and bought two shirts and some other stuff. I have used them every match since. They do a great job if there is a breeze. No breeze they are as hot as any other shirt. I wish I could roll up the sleeves. They fit just fine, and have a long tail so they tuck in nice. I sweat a lot when I wear a cowboy hat. The Cooler Shirt works, but they don't make my head any cooler.

I do have to comment about the people at J Hornaday Dry Goods. They are among the nicest people I have ever encountered on line. I talked to the guy who runs the place. He told me he filled my order himself to make sure it mailed out in time for me to have it for POP. I believe him.

I had the socks on all day doing yard work.They worked good in my boots but they are thick and I need that with my boots.Have you guys looked at the longgun dusters.Going to get me some of them.

I ordered one and it was purty but no pockets so I special ordered one with 2 pockets for $10 extry. Which I thot was reasonable. BUT the second one had the same problems as the first one. I ordered 4x and they fit like 3x which is fine. However the sleeves are WAY too long, like orangatan long. Nobody has arms that long. On the other hand the neck is cut for a pencil necked geek. I cannot button ANY of the buttons. Why would you think a 4x man would have a pencil neck?

I do not understand all the pards saying they can't roll up the sleeves??? Huh?? Just roll 'em up. I have NO problem rolling mine up. Same as any other shirt tho I too would prefer a normal button style sleeve end.

They are plenty long so you don't have to worry about'em comin' un-tucked. So long, I am going to have my Mom make pockets for the first shirt out of the back tail.

I would order more if they would put two pockets on and open up the neck. Jimmy 6 String said the pockets was a one-time deal. Oh well I guess they don't want my business as I despise a shirt without pockets since it's usually too hot around here to wear a vest.

Shirts tend to be one of those personal fit and function items. Personally I do not want pockets on my cowboy shirts - just something else on the front to hang up on when moving/shooting. Same reason I do not like button cuffs - they hang up easier. So again as expressed in a number of posts, different preferences for different folks. Bottom line is that custom building shirts (or any clothing item) for each preference is an expensive solution - the more stuff you add the tougher it is to get the sewing operations to get it right. So I am sure some of the limited options of the shirts is an attempt to keep the cost down and minimize delivery times (not that cowboys are fussy about those items).... Yep I use the shirts, almost exclusively now, because they work for me. As noted, more air movement is better in hot weather.

OMG - I have 6 of them and I don't even wear my old shirts. Sizing - I usually wear a 3x and I wear 2x in these shirts. So the size is no problem for me. Sometimes the style I want doesn't come in my size...Still, they are great and here in Florida they really matter. WW

I wore the shirt and loved it. You dont feel wet so you dont drink like you should.I had to make myself get water or power aid.That was differant.With my other shirt I am pouring sweat so I would grab water with these you dont feel wet so you have to make your self drink.Loved the socks too after the shoot my feet were dry.Really good people too.

I won't shoot in anything else anymore. They stay dry,stay tucked in. And the tighter fit and material stays out of the way and does not blouse and get in the way of your shotshells. The material also gives with the movement of the shooter. For me it's been one of the best products for the game.

Ok, I sweat a lot at reenactments, so these shirts sound like they may work for me. My question is, has anyone worn one of the shirts under a jacket? When I'm on the field, I'm usually wearing a wool shell jacket and I'm wondering if that would take away any benefit the shirt might offer?

I have four of them and will not wear anything else.

I even wear them when I play golf . no sweat no wet.

Doc said to stay out the sun so the cowboy cooler shirts work Great.

CCBA

:FlagAm:

Ok, I sweat a lot at reenactments, so these shirts sound like they may work for me. My question is, has anyone worn one of the shirts under a jacket? When I'm on the field, I'm usually wearing a wool shell jacket and I'm wondering if that would take away any benefit the shirt might offer?

No, that won't work for ya. Hornady recommends wearing no t-shirt or any kind of undershirt with the cowboy cooler shirt. The wicking and evaporative cooling effect of the material only works when it is used alone with nothing else between it and the skin. If you put it under a wool uniform shirt the effect will be reversed and it becomes insulating, making you even hotter. They recommend using 2 cooler shirts in the winter because the double layer insulates and heats.

So under a wool overshirt the wicking, evaporative effect will be negated and the insulating, heating effect will be present. Good idea but it won't work with this material.

Archived