SASS Wire Forum

Wild West Shootout accidental shooting awhile ago

Borrowed smorrowed, if it was in his hand, he possessed them. Whole case will hinge on the legal definition of 'possess'

I pick up ANY gun, mine, yours, one at the store, the first thing I do is check to see if it's loaded. What kind of MORON picks up a gun, that he is going to point at human beings, and does not confirm personally that it has only blanks loaded?

Grizz

shakes head and walks away

Borrowed smorrowed, if it was in his hand, he possessed them. Whole case will hinge on the legal definition of 'possess'

In hand means in possession where I come from. The only sort-of exception to that is minors handling guns with permission of the guardian.

What kind of MORON

The kind which somehow ended up a convicted felon. :rolleyes:

From another report;

Investigators earlier this month found that Doering had served more than five years in Minnesota prisons on multiple felony convictions.

South Dakota law prohibits a person convicted of a felony in South Dakota or another state from possessing or having control of a firearm for 15 years.

Doering was imprisoned from April 1982 to January 1984 on two first-degree assault charges, according to the Minnesota Department of Corrections.

He returned to prison on Dec. 14, 1990 to serve time for second-degree burglary but was convicted of escape less than two months later, which extended his stay. He was released in May 1992. In October 2001, he began serving another sentence for escape, which was extended by a Dec. 2001 escape conviction. He got out in May 2004, according to the department.

Someone didn't check his criminal record. Oh, Oh!

What am I missing that makes this the business of a FEDERAL court?

18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1). anyone "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is barred from possessing a gun.

Law and common sense says a felon and a moron (two go hand in hand usually) is not allowed the privilege of handling firearms.

BZZZZT! Wrong answer!

Law and common sense says a felon and a moron (two go hand in hand usually) has forfeited the right to handle firearms.

;)

It was always my understanding that I'm completely responsible for any firearm in my hand. That means I have an affirmative duty to check that it's properly loaded, safed, etc. This duty is non-deligable (meaning I can't "pass the buck" by claiming "they told me it was blanks").

IMO the local authorities have some explaining to do, here.

If he's a felon prohibited from under Federal law from possessing a firearm then he ought to be prosecuted. Particularly after this sort of "bone headed" play and the apparent "gutlessness" of local officials.

Sometimes the Feds are right when they do something.

SQQ

Couple of points from my reenactment days.

1. Every group I've performed with had an armorer who was in charge of all guns. If you weren't in a particular skit, the armorer had the guns. He issued all ammunition required in that skit.

2. Even with blanks, the guns were never pointed directly at a person. The audience doesn't notice guns pointed slightly to the side. Blanks can hurt and even kill.

3. Aside from being illegally in possession of a firearm, all previous points about him being an idiot for not checking applies. Even though I got my gun from the armorer for the skit, I always checked. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I haven't shot anyone by accident yet and I don't intend to.

OK, just had a brain storm, or maybe it was a brain fart...

The local authorities may have chosen not to prosecute given that the feds intended to, and if convicted the guy could be sent off a long long time as a habitual offender. Even if that is the case, they should not have proclaimed that it appeared accidental. That would seem to hurt their case should they choose to proffer charges at a later date.

I spent a week in Rapid City a couple weeks back. I did not mention to anyone that I was a SASS member or shooter. Many there think we all are a bubble or two of plumb.

18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1). anyone "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is barred from possessing a gun.

Bob I am asking because I don't know but does that law automatically made it federal ??

Archived