SASS Wire Forum

Concealed carry in Ohio may be changing

In Texas if stopped when the officer get to the car you hand him your driver lic.,your CCL and your ins.I have no problum with that.I would even give him my CCL if I was not carrying because when they run your Lic. it come up and they will ask you.I have no problum with that.

The officer involved has had 16 complaints filed against him in the past four years. It's not hard to see why.

In the full version of the video he never gives the motorist a chance to tell him he has a CCW and his pistol with him - just jumps in and starts yelling at him.

He also failed to follow procedure - had he run the plates he would have known the motorist had his CCW permit. In the full version, the officer admits he didn't.

And he also threatens to shoot the motorist in the head.

Harless is the poster child for everything a LEO shouldn't be.

The officer involved has had 16 complaints filed against him in the past four years. It's not hard to see why.

In the full version of the video he never gives the motorist a chance to tell him he has a CCW and his pistol with him - just jumps in and starts yelling at him.

He also failed to follow procedure - had he run the plates he would have known the motorist had his CCW permit. In the full version, the officer admits he didn't.

#1 :angry: This guy should NOT be a LEO!

In Texas if stopped when the officer get to the car you hand him your driver lic.,your CCL and your ins.I have no problum with that.I would even give him my CCL if I was not carrying because when they run your Lic. it come up and they will ask you.I have no problum with that.

+1

I don't think this bully represents most of the LEOs out there. They would be wise to let him go.

This is the 1 cop in a 1000 that give all the rest a bad name

The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

For this one bad apple cop there are thousands doing it right.

GG

==================================================

Absolutely, but the bad apples get the most media coverage.

I had a guy similar to this and we sent him down for a psych evaluation...

The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

And that my friends sums it up. I just read where one of my classmates lost his medical license. Trust me, he fits the bill UB delineated.

In Kansas for a simple pull over, you do NOT hand the officer your CCH unless you are asked. We do as we were taught, and keep the speed down we don't have to test it. (grin)

This sad video will fuel the open carry forums for months, but will probably change nothing in Ohio's laws. The Officer obviously forgot his academy training where we are trained to immediately ask "Do you have any weapons or anything that will hurt me?" This simple question would have prevented a world of controversy. :blush:

BSD

==================================================

Absolutely, but the bad apples get the most media coverage.

no duh...:unsure: it's the media for cryin' out loud :rolleyes:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I was pulled over by a LEO once and I gave him my DL, CCL, and insurance.

He gave me a warning and let me go.

I still can't find the dash cam footage on YouTube.

Shocking! :lol:

In Washington we have no requirement that I'm aware of to inform a police officer that one has a CPL and is armed. It seems to me that just being pulled over for speeding would hardly call for this, and would only possibly complicate a simple situation.

I can't quite figure out the rationale for this.

Then there was the time I got stopped for speeding with my two kiddos in the truck on the way to a local shoot. :blush:

"Ok, so you've got a concealed license. Do you have any weapons in the vehicle now?"

[with daughter laughing in the background] "Hmmmm...I think there's 11 or 12....no, 13 with my truck pistol under the seat...." :lol:

Chick

.....he gave me a warning.....on the speeding.....and I invited him to come shoot with us sometime.... :)

In Washington we have no requirement that I'm aware of to inform a police officer that one has a CPL and is armed. It seems to me that just being pulled over for speeding would hardly call for this, and would only possibly complicate a simple situation.

I can't quite figure out the rationale for this.

We have no obligation as far as I can tell from the WA Code:

RCW 9.41.050

Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

When you take the Ohio CC class they are very clear that if stopped by any officer, for any reason,

the very first thing you do is inform the officer that you have a permit & that you do, or do not, have your weapon on you, or in the car.

As he comes to the window the first words out of you mouth are supposed to be" under ohio law I am required to imform you that I have a concealed carry permit & I have, or do not have my weapon on me, in the car, etc."

You do not wait for him to ask, period.

When you roll down the window you say .. . . .

It is repeated many times in the course.

dutch

Something about telling a police officer that you are armed as soon as you interact with one makes me uneasy. In Ohio does this apply to being stopped on the street, say as a witness (not a suspect), and asked any question?

So, what does the LEO do when you tell him you are armed?

Obviously, if you are being detained, that is another matter.

I think if I did that here for a traffic stop it would probably turn into a long stop.....

In Texas and California your required to inform the Officer

by handing him you DL-Permit-Ins. card. before your asked.

I would rather the Officer knows before he finds out after

running your DL. I have nothing to hide so why not make it

easy on everyone by being up-front? :unsure:

Given all the activity in this officer's file I am a bit amazed that he was not already on the rubber gun squad and getting a psych evaluation.

to me it looks like as well as dealing with him his superiors should be looking at their own leadership structure and failings in this case

I don't believe in Washington that we have any link from CPL to driver's license. In short, here the LEO doesn't know you have a CPL (concealed pistol license) when he runs your name or DL. It's still hard for me to figure why he should.

My guess is this is because we have been a "shall issue" state for CPLs since at least 1959, and this is a long status quo. There are a great many states with much more recent concealed-carry permitting laws, and the tendency has been to attach a lot of "ornaments" to these recent laws: training requirements, LEO notification, etc., etc. Back in '59, folks didn't go dreaming up all this extra stuff when they did something; it was more straightforward. There were no computers, neither!

Archived