SASS Wire Forum

You first day of school...

Deja Vous

Because I lived in the sticks.. I did not attend Kindergarden.. I started first grade and I could not tie my shoes yet.. lol.. It was a one room school in a tiny farm area... 1-4 on one side of the curtain and 5-8th on the other for the first two years I was there. I got to be the christmas angel so I was pretty jazzed.. lol.. But I was so tiny I could not put my elbows on the desk.. lol... I sat on a huge dictionary.. I did have a few growth spurts, and at 16 I was only 5.5 1/2 and suddenly I shot up ot 5' 7" plus... before I hit 18. I guess I grew late I dunno. Thank God it was a country school cuz I was a hick and so far behind the rest of the world.. In first grade I would fall asleep in the middle of the day .. lol.. and I was pretty hard to slow down the rest of the day.. Twice the teacher told my parent to hold me back they felt I was not ready yet, lol.. But Dad was sure I was smart enough.. so i stayed in school.. And I did great in my studies..I was just a bit distracted for a few years.. lol.. By anything and everything.. I loved the globes.. and the projectors.. and the merry go round.. and the swings and the rings on the swing set.. In second grade a boy brought me a tadpole as a gift and I put it in my pocket and took it home and turned it loose in the creek.. lol I played hard ball and flag football until I was in 8th grade and told I couldn't anymore.. lol Uh.. why?? lol

I loved science lab. Had a few things go awry, though. Gotta be real careful with sulfuric acid.

I loved Biology... I had to go to a bigger highschool.. and in Bio I made a huge impression.. the guys toss frog guts at me.. and I picked them up and tossed them back.. lol... But then in Grade school I was quiet and reserved.. once I think?? lol

I loved Biology... I had to go to a bigger highschool.. and in Bio I made a huge impression.. the guys toss frog guts at me.. and I picked them up and tossed them back.. lol... But then in Grade school I was quiet and reserved.. once I think?? lol

Glad you got over that!

I stiffed the Nuns out of my lunch money. My Mother was so embarrassed when she found out.

Don Leon was a year ahead of me, but he was not a very good role model. :lol:

Now you just had to go invoke the Nuns. Got my knuckles to hurtin. Get in trouble for even the smallest infraction. Remember that time I was enjoyin a cigarette in the girls room when Sister hitler Murphy blew in like a cat 4 hurricane. Gave me a hard time about sleepin in class too!

After spending many years on kneelers in the church.. and playing the flute... yeah.. the nuns were tough.. lol.. But hey dad was worse and didn't wear a black outfit.. lol.. He did not want his girls dating at all... lol... To this day, he drills me on my visits about who i am hanging out with.. He is so far impressed that I spend my time with people who shoot guns... and they are in law enforcement... Course since he drives like a maniac maybe he has an angle? just kidding.. lol

After spending many years on kneelers in the church.. and playing the flute... yeah.. the nuns were tough.. lol.. But hey dad was worse and didn't wear a black outfit.. lol.. He did not want his girls dating at all... lol... To this day, he drills me on my visits about who i am hanging out with.. He is so far impressed that I spend my time with people who shoot guns... and they are in law enforcement... Course since he drives like a maniac maybe he has an angle? just kidding.. lol

:lol:

You two are making me nostalgic, probably more so as we approach fall. The whole September/October time of year feels very nostalgic to me, every year. I think I have some good feeling about the back-to-school things, softer days, the bright lights of the classrooms, Halloween, etc. It seems very homey to me.

Trivia? My mom married a lot, and we moved a lot—but I think she was better at moving then marrying. Anyway, in this one elementary school in a small town in Kansas, all the class rooms were aligned in a row, connected by an open hallway with no doors into the class rooms. And you could always hear the 2nd grade class doing their phonics recitations: "...ei says eee, ae says aaaay..." over and over. That's probably why I can't read, because I was never in a class that did that.

Also, in another school, just at the start of the third grade, Mom married her third husband, and we moved again. That was the year we started doing cursive hand writing. I swear I never practiced one day of cursive handwriting, and it shows. Thank God I can type. That year, she married a pipeliner, and we moved a lot, all the time. I don't think I learned anything at all that year.

Then in the 4th grade we settled for a little in this other town, and I remember that was the year I discovered Elvis Presley on the TV, and the Wizard of Oz—both still in that October time frame.

This is a very beautiful time of year for me, and as choppy as the movings were—giving life little depth but great breadth—the time of year is still beautiful.

Went to Rio Vista Elementary in St. Pete, Fla.

I remember sitting in the third row in the middle of the class, the big ol' log sized pencil in my left hand, trying to make my letters on that yellow three lined paper with the wood chips showing.

The teacher walks by and then stops. "NO! NO! NO!" she says as she pulls the pencil from my left hand and folds the fingers of my right hand around it. "We don't do it that way!" :wacko:

So much for my penmanship, and my attitude about school for that matter! :angry:

I was in the third grade before my baseball coach pointed out to my folks that I was left handed. :rolleyes:

On handedness, I write with my right hand, but I do many things with my left. I am ambidextrous, but if I hadn't been taught to be right handed, I think I'd have been left. That probably is one of the reasons I write so poorly.

Yeah, but, and there is always a but, Sister Mary Claudia was a first rate designated hitter.

She would play baseball at recess with us. We used bricks for bases, but we had a wooden

bat, jenuine leather baseball, and even a pitcher's mound. Well, hill anyway.

It was always a disappointment when the bell would ring and it was back to the drag of learning. :wacko:

Yeah, but, and there is always a but, Sister Mary Claudia was a first rate designated hitter.

She would play baseball at recess with us. We used bricks for bases, but we had a wooden

bat, jenuine leather baseball, and even a pitcher's mound. Well, hill anyway.

It was always a disappointment when the bell would ring and it was back to the drag of learning. :wacko:

Did they try to make righties out of lefties?

Last one room school in the state of Connecticut (the town Was Union in the north east of the state largest area and smallest population of any town in the state... before the state re did the voting districts in a state wide race one Union vote was worth some 50,000 Hartford votes) 1-8 one room and one (real) teacher my sister was 5 years older than I and had been skipped a grade and was in 6th when I was in first and I was a bit shocked to find that she was the teacher for grades 1& 2 most of time (and boy were my folks upset when they found out)

I remember the first day very well

We were taught how to make a one time use drinking cup by folding yellow arithmetic paper and also how to sharpen the big fat red painted beginners pencil... and were were admonished never to drink directly from the dipper that was chained upstream to a rock about 50 feet upstream from the 4 hole privy (2 for the boys and 2 for the girls) we were told that if we had a cold in the winter we could be seated nearer the wood stove that provided the heat

I was only there for first and 2rd grade and I was well home schooled in reading soon found that I too was made to help teach reading. My folks managed to get my sister off to a boarding school the same year I started as a day student at an Episcopal private school in the 3rd grade then a 5 day boarder for grade 4 and full boarding for 5 to 8... god I hated school... right up till my 2ed year of college when I could at last select what I wanted to study.

If I had stayed on at the union school I would have gone to the new one with 2 teachers (2 room with all the modern conveniences including a swing set and a small ball field!)

Grew up in Perry, FL. Population,, 6,000. We had two elementary schools, one middle school, one high school. Except for the usual group of drop-outs, the people I knew in first grade were pretty much the same as those with which I graduated.

Walked to school that first day (and every day thereafter for the first 5 years). The biggest thing I remember about the first day is it was vastly different from kindergarten. There was going to be very little play time; we were actually expected to do classwork! Oh, the humanity of it all!

I'm like Doc Windshadow, I hated school all 12 years, but for a different reason I suspect. In every school in every town throughout this nation, there are a handful of unfortunates who are designated as the school punching bags for their entire tenure. They are the ones who always get beat up by every toughguy in the school, and God help you if you actually try to defend yourself. I was never so glad to get out of a town.

I can't remember my first day of school.

I think it may have been in a cave.

We had two subjects I believe. Hunting and gathering.

Fire was in 4th grade.

My dad was a LEO attached to the Feds and we moved around a lot. I went to fourteen different schools before I graduated high school. Seemed like I was always trying to carve out a place for myself. I wasn't mean, but I wouldn't back down either.

I started third grade in New Jersey and got to stay at that school until the middle of sixth grade. I made some friends while I was there. In forth grade a new kid moved over from the Catholic school and the pecking order was disrupted for a few days. The two of us came to crossed purposes and the fisticuffs were scheduled for that afternoon. We met at the edge of the schoolyard and our "seconds" took their places.

I was taking off a new shirt and my adversary went upside my head with a HARD round-house right. I saw stars but managed to keep my feet. When my vision cleared and my ears stopped ringing, I threw down the shirt and turned to face my adversary. He was on the ground crying and begging me not to hit him. He'd broken his arm and wrist and I had a HUGE swolen shiner on my left eye. Me and Jimmy Brokaw were best of friends from then 'til I lost track of him and his family when we moved back to Tennessee. I wonder if he's still around.

He always said I had the hardest head in the world. :rolleyes: Most folks who know me agree. :lol:

Archived