SASS Wire Forum

Don't faint from shock

Complicated Lady

I watched the TV show Gunsmoke for the first time.

I had heard about it...somehow knew all the main characters.

Decided it was high time I actually watch it. ....YouTube

GREAT Show

Miss Kitty ...Wow!

She was no wimp that needed the Marshall to protect her....even though she let him sometimes

She was very cool

GREAT Show

Miss Kitty ...Wow!

She was no wimp that needed the Marshall to protect her....even though she let him sometimes

She was very cool

Was it the one with Chester as his side kick?

GREAT Show

Miss Kitty ...Wow!

She was very cool

It was a good show. We used to watch it all the time.

I watched a few episodes, mostly the older ones with Chester

"Mr Dillon" for some reason would bring about a ton of giggles from me when I was a kid. I was told it was from a radio show... dunno.. I just saw some of the TV version..

It was a good show. We used to watch it all the time.

My Dad used to watch it. I guess I must have got glimpses of it when he would have me change the channel for him.

Before there were remotes.... I was Daddy's remote.... course there were only like 10 channels back then.

When I was younger the use of the the term "Mr." was a sign of respect. My dad taught us respect for our elders. He also taught us that some folks earned the title "Mr." whether they were older than us or not. I'm thinking that military upbringing has served me well. There are numerous 18 and 19 year old men and women who have earned my respect through their service to the US of A and will always be called Sir or Mam by this 51 year old guy. Some of the "kids" that were in my Scout Troop stop by to visit me once in a while and I am humbled by the accoplishments of these young folks. Some of the Scouts from our troop are now in law enforcement as well. They still call me "Mr." but I am so proud of what they have done. I still can't get most of them to call me by first name and by God they have earned the right to do so.

They must have had dads like mine............

"Mr Dillon" for some reason would bring about a ton of giggles from me when I was a kid. I was told it was from a radio show... dunno.. I just saw some of the TV version..

Me too! Don't you miss the "clicks" as you turned the knob?

The only surfing my dad ever did was channel surfing! Me I had a board that needed wax!!

My Dad used to watch it. I guess I must have got glimpses of it when he would have me change the channel for him.

Before there were remotes.... I was Daddy's remote.... course there were only like 10 channels back then.

Me too! Don't you miss the "clicks" as you turned the knob?

The only surfing my dad ever did was channel surfing! Me I had a board that needed wax!!

Where did you surf? I never learned to surf but I did spend a lot of time boogy boarding at Huntington and Newport.

Boy did this thread take a side trip :huh:

When I was younger the use of the the term "Mr." was a sign of respect. My dad taught us respect for our elders. He also taught us that some folks earned the title "Mr." whether they were older than us or not. I'm thinking that military upbringing has served me well. There are numerous 18 and 19 year old men and women who have earned my respect through their service to the US of A and will always be called Sir or Mam by this 51 year old guy. Some of the "kids" that were in my Scout Troop stop by to visit me once in a while and I am humbled by the accoplishments of these young folks. Some of the Scouts from our troop are now in law enforcement as well. They still call me "Mr." but I am so proud of what they have done. I still can't get most of them to call me by first name and by God they have earned the right to do so.

They must have had dads like mine............

Still her accent made me laugh.. but you are right about the "Mr" part.. we were never alllowed to call and older person by their first names.. or with out the Mr. or MRs in front of it.. Even family it was Aunt Lucy or Uncle Ricky.. Different times.. of real respect..

Here ya go, Deja...

Gunsmoke

I'd skip the "audition" episodes... pilots, with "Mark" Dillon. Hadn't quite gotten it right just yet. :rolleyes:

10 channels?

We had 3. :lol:

Gunsmoke was a Saturday night event. Mom would make popcorn or some other snack and I'd sit and watch it with them. Later the Gunsmoke movies were also excellent.:)

10 channels????? We had 3 and then we got 2 more UHF and we thought we had struck a tv gold mine!:lol:

...and yes I was the family remote too!:blush:

Ditto! :blush:

And I was in charge of sticking the matchbook cover behind the tuner knob and wiggling it until channel 10 came in.

My mom could never do it right. :lol:

I feel lucky... We started with 3 channels and 1 UHF and then KPTV 12 came online and we had 4 (count 'em 4) channels and one UHF...!!!

Vaya con Dios

Didn't watch TV till I was in boot camp.

Just too many chores to do and we didn't have da money to buy one.

But I did hear about'em alot !

TV, ya'll had TV? Why by the time I got home from school, walking to and from uphill both ways in the snow in South Louisiana, all I had for entertainment was the stick I found on the way home ^_^

Actually we had 7 channels so we were blest. I remember watching it with my Dad occasionally but not regularly. Gunsmoke is being shown on TVland channel every weekday, I DVR is while I am at work and watch it every evening in place of the news!

You can catch a lot of episodes online from Netflix...I'm through the first season with Chester and working my way through all of the available episodes. There are a few of the Gunsmoke movies available for streaming online from Netflix as well.

I know purists love the ones with Chester, but I like the Festus ones better. Probably because that's what I saw first, and what nearly all of the reruns commonly shown are.

I agree-

Fester waz a scraper!

Chester waz ------well---------kinda a woosy

I know purists love the ones with Chester, but I like the Festus ones better. Probably because that's what I saw first, and what nearly all of the reruns commonly shown are.

I agree. The Chester character just irritates me. I really like Festus, especially in those episodes where he is given more weight, rather than just being gimmicky comic relief. I think he could have made his own show. I also really like Newly and the short-lived Thad, although after his first appearance, Thad's character wasn't developed much. In most episodes he could have been replaced by a random bit part without anyone noticing.

I agree. The Chester character just irritates me. I really like Festus, especially in those episodes where he is given more weight, rather than just being gimmicky comic relief. I think he could have made his own show. I also really like Newly and the short-lived Thad, although after his first appearance, Thad's character wasn't developed much. In most episodes he could have been replaced by a random bit part without anyone noticing.

Chester had the CWPTSD I think.

Who was the blacksmith? I think it still shows in TV Land. Bonanza is also in TV Land.

Quint Asper for a time, replaced by a semi-regular whose name escapes me.

TV Land airs the color episodes, filmed from 1965 or 1966 to 1975. Two episodes each weekday from 12-2pm. Encore Westerns airs the one-hour b&w episodes at 7pm.

Quint Asper for a time, replaced by a semi-regular whose name escapes me.

TV Land airs the color episodes, filmed from 1965 or 1966 to 1975. Two episodes each weekday from 12-2pm. Encore Westerns airs the one-hour b&w episodes at 7pm.

Quint Asper was played by a very young and still with hair Burt Reynolds.

Civil War Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

???

Where did you surf? I never learned to surf but I did spend a lot of time boogy boarding at Huntington and Newport.

Boy did this thread take a side trip :huh:

Same beaches you boogie boarded at mostly. I was lucky enough to try the surf in Costa Rica in 2007. I'm just an 'ol goofy foot that's not too good but still has fun.

Festus was the best! Did ya know he had a beautiful singing voice? He was in the original Sons of the Pioneers.:)

Civil War Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

I know what it means, I just am curious how he arrived at that diagnosis.

Festus was the best! Did ya know he had a beautiful singing voice? He was in the original Sons of the Pioneers.

Just an observation: if you can find a photo of an older, clean-shaven Ken Curtis, you may find he resembles Lee Ermey.

Archived