SASS Wire Forum

WOW! dryer softner in my tumbler

Rance - SASS # 54090

Thought I'd clean some brass tonight <_<

I usually have to run my tumbler around 4 hours for the brass to suit me :wacko:

Thought.. <_< been readin' on this ol' wire about puttin' fabric softner sheets in the tumbler...

Thought... <_< I'd give it a try...

Went into Lacey's laundry room :ph34r: and got a Brand New One!!! Cut it in half and put both halves in the tumbler.. :rolleyes:

Just went down to check it... been running 2 1/2 hours...

Opened it up... and VAWALLA!!

Brass is clean and bright already..

The fabric softner sheets are a real dirty brown.. almost packed solid... :blink:

My media is cleaner than when I started.. :wacko:

I imagine when I dump them (gonna let them run fer a while longer) that there will be less dust.. :)

Rance <_<

Thinkin' the info on this ol' wire is great...

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

And fresh smellin' too?

Hope it didn't SOFTEN your cases...

No static to set the BP....

Okay it's late, they were stupid jokes!

Add a half capfull of liquid Turtle Wax.( Run it for 10 min before putting cases in) Almost as good as case lube & you'll need sunglasses.......

I use dryer sheets as well bas paper towel cut in strips to keep my media clean.

Afew drops ofliquid nufinish car wax makes the brass shiny as well as acts as a

case lube when going through the sizing die.

Arte et Marte

Ordnancebob

Thanks for the tip! I read a few posts somewhere about adding some Comet Cleanser and gave that a try. It worked great BUT the smell was horrible and gave me a headache while I was fishing out the cases. I dumped the media after that disaster.

Okay... I had to try this - and yup, it works!

Dryer sheet torn into thirds, and a capful of Turtle wax.

No dust when I opened the tumbler! AND the brass was cleaner than it's been in a goodly while. Still needed case lube, though - first case dang near got stuck. Of course, having just moved, I couldn't find my case lube and pad... so I improvised: Quick trip to the kitchen, folded up paper towels on a small plate drizzled with peanut oil - slicker'n the dickens! ^_^

OK - I tried it...

HOLY CRAP!!!

At both the brightness of the brass & the grunginess of what used to be the dryer sheet (cut into 1/4ths).

What media are you using with these additions?

Regards, TJH

Straight "lizard litter" (crushed walnut shells) - only additive was the dryer sheet and a capful+ of turtle wax.

The "lizard litter" is terrific - 25 lbs of the same stuff sold as "brass cleaning media..." $17.99 (+ shipping) for five lbs from Midway; $9.99 for seven lbs from PetSmart. ;) Even cheaper by the 25 lb bag - $21.99! :lol:

Although people do it either way, they are supposed to be USED dryer sheets. Use them in the dryer the first time, keep all the used ones to cut up and put in the tumbler. The fabric weave has less softener and fragrance left in it and has more room to collect crud. But if you are out of used ones, no one really complains about the new either.

... OK, wanna try something else new to some folks?

With your favorite media and the dryer strips ... add some whole grain uncooked rice to the shaker. Your going to get a few cases with a grain stuck in the flash hole, but can be easily popped out. Depending on the quantity, have found the rice cleans the insides of the cases nicely

But IMO - Nothing beats thoroughly cleaning the out/in sides of brass like a rotary tumbler, 2mm or 3mm plastic triangle media and Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution with a 1/2 tsp of TSP added.

That's My Recommendation and I'm Sticking to It!

Okay... I had to try this - and yup, it works!

Dryer sheet torn into thirds, and a capful of Turtle wax.

No dust when I opened the tumbler! AND the brass was cleaner than it's been in a goodly while. Still needed case lube, though - first case dang near got stuck. Of course, having just moved, I couldn't find my case lube and pad... so I improvised: Quick trip to the kitchen, folded up paper towels on a small plate drizzled with peanut oil - slicker'n the dickens! ^_^

Well... thats good enough for me... I'm out to get some of both!

Snakebite

I use the same method as Jon Boy with a Thumblers Tumbler, stainless pins, Dawn soap, and a 9mm case full of Lemi-Shine.

Inside, outside, flash hole, and primer cup always "like new" clean.

I tried the stainless steel pins, and it didn't work for me. Had to redo it with ceramic media.

Okay - let me axe youz dis:

Is there a reason for polishing brass to a golden shine - other than that they're purty?

I polished a batch of .38 smokeless cases for an hour. They came out feeling clean, without smoke stains, but looking a little "antiqued". Is this acceptable? Does it make the reloader's job harder? Could the duller cases be hiding flaws easier? Does the patina build up after a few uses and eventually hurt the functionality?

Inquiring minds want to know -- mine too.

Is there a reason for polishing brass to a golden shine - other than that they're purty?

I polished a batch of .38 smokeless cases for an hour. They came out feeling clean, without smoke stains, but looking a little "antiqued". Is this acceptable? Does it make the reloader's job harder? Could the duller cases be hiding flaws easier? Does the patina build up after a few uses and eventually hurt the functionality?

No, no, no, no & no.

It's purely a personal preference.

I'm giving it a try right now. Got about half capful of liquid Turtle Wax and a dryer sheet (cut-up into four strips) in the tumbler as I type. I'll check it in a couple of hours.

EC

No, no, no, no & no.

It's purely a personal preference.

I would have agreed with you up to a few months ago.

The media that I had always used was never a high polish media; just clean the carbon off and call it good.

I finally broke down and went high polish...

WOW! The cases feed thru the reloader 1000x better.

It is also easier (for me) to see a split in a shiny case as I screen them for loading too.

I don't want to get this fine topic off track BUT........Someone said something about not using as much lude.

Do you really lube your .38 or .45 brass when reloading?

I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds in 30 years and have never lubed a one. Am I confused or what.

I have dillon XL650s (2) and two SDB and have never used lube.

I don't want to get this fine topic off track BUT........Someone said something about not using as much lude.

Do you really lube your .38 or .45 brass when reloading?

I have loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds in 30 years and have never lubed a one. Am I confused or what.

I have dillon XL650s (2) and two SDB and have never used lube.

Probably was said by a .44-40 loader......... bottleneck cases are a different story.

I still needed lube, but I was loading rifle cases (.30-30 and .250-3000 Savage)... Long, tapered, and bottlenecked.

Just a leetle lube, and they sure were purty~! ^_^

Archived