SASS Wire Forum

Why Does SASS Require 1887s and 1997s to Load individually?

Aunt Jen

Is it because then they're more competitive with SxSs?

my understanding is because you can only load 2 in a SXS so just fair to only load 2 in the '87 & '97

I think ( and dats always dangerous when I do ) dat it is to be competitive wif sxs's but to be safe as well.

Got a shotgun stage wif 10 targets and all MUST go down.

Can't see someone loadin' up five at one time !!

Somebody chime in here.............................................:unsure:

'87 and '97 are not required to be "single loaded" (I think that's what you mean by "loaded individually") but are not to be loaded with more than 2 at a time. And my best guess for a reason has already been mentioned. :)

The rule is that you are not permitted to load more than 2 at a time. So load 1 or load 2. Either is fine. Shotgun also has to come to the line and be staged open and empty, so no preloading the magazine. After significant testing, I'm convinced that's it's faster to single load the 97 than to load 2. I haven't put in enough time with an 87 to have reached a conclusion to this. I've seen both done successfully and fast.

Some local events will let you stoke the 97s on the clock. It is NOT faster(in fact it is much slower IMHO) but it is FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Most clubs will allow you to load as many as you want but you have to do it on the clock.

I shoot with a guy who, whenever possible, holds his '97 with his right hand up in the shooting position, takes two shells with his left hand and reaches around and under the gun flipping one shell into the port, closes the action, then "thumbs" one into the chamber. Works fine for him. I don't know if it's any faster, but it sure is fun to watch!

EC

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Why Does SASS Require 1887s and 1997s to Load individually?

'Cause the 1887's only got one barrel... and the 1997 ain't never been invented yet.

(jus joshin'ya Jen... you're smarter than the average person... and I always enjoy readin' yore posts)

ts

Archived