SASS Wire Forum

- - The Unforgiven

Evening news over . . . . flipping TV channels . . . "The Unforgiven" . . only seen it once in the theatre long ago. . . . . just cut into it where Money finds out that his pard was killed in town . . . missed the "outhouse shooting scene" . . . that was unique. I'm going to build an outhouse in back of my building at White Horse Ranch next winter. An old west town without a single outhouse ? Huh . . :huh: . Won't be for actual use, . .there are real modern bathrooms available at the ranch. It'll just be for a part of the set and can be moved around to other locations if needed. But I figure to make it a "breakaway" outhouse so that if a film outfit wants to do an "Outhouse Shooting" like was done in the "Unforgiven" they can. Roof will come off and either side can be removed also. :)

Actually it is period correct, back when outhouses were common at churches, schools, etc. the half (or crescent) moon ment it was for females, the male outhouse door had a "radiant sun" carved in it.

Don't forget the crescent moon in the door.

=================================================

Or the corn cobs!

Somewhere, maybe up at the cabin, I have an old staple bound book called "Muddled Meanderings in an Outhouse" or something like that. It's a collection of pomes about outhouses and pictures of outhouses ranging from the old west to more modern, at the time of publication, outhouses. Neat book.

A quick google shows that the original was published in 1980 by Bob Ross of Montana. There were several squeals.

Actually it is period correct, back when outhouses were common at churches, schools, etc. the half (or crescent) moon ment it was for females, the male outhouse door had a "radiant sun" carved in it.

Interesting bit of trivia, that. Do you have a reference?

...I have an old staple bound book called "Muddled Meanderings in an Outhouse" or something like that. It's a collection of pomes about outhouses...

You got a book of poems about outhouses?

You got to get out of the house more!

when My dad bought the farm Where I was born after WW II(the oldest part of the house was built in 1720) My folks were warned not to get rid of the "Chic Sales" and I recall using it several summers when the well would run dry one of my jobs was to haul buckets of water from the sawmill pond with my little red wagon so we could flush the toilet in the house at night but during the day we used the privy

I was about 6 when dad had a new well dug which ended the problem but we never got rid of the privy just in case

it had a ventilation series of semi louvers on two sides and a checkerboard pattern of holes high on the door there was a photo of the carriage house next to which it sat that dated to the 1870s that showed the pattern was on the door then

Evening news over . . . . flipping TV channels . . . "The Unforgiven" . . only seen it once in the theatre long ago. . . . . just cut into it where Money finds out that his pard was killed in town . . . missed the "outhouse shooting scene" . . . that was unique. I'm going to build an outhouse in back of my building at White Horse Ranch next winter. An old west town without a single outhouse ? Huh . . :huh: . Won't be for actual use, . .there are real modern bathrooms available at the ranch. It'll just be for a part of the set and can be moved around to other locations if needed. But I figure to make it a "breakaway" outhouse so that if a film outfit wants to do an "Outhouse Shooting" like was done in the "Unforgiven" they can. Roof will come off and either side can be removed also. :)

You've only seen this movie once??? Wolfgang you can git kicked out of SASS for less than that!!!:lol:

My favorite scene is when Munny, blasts the owner of Greeley's with a shotgun and Little Bill calls him a coward for shooting an unarmed man, Munny says,"Well he shoulda armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend"B)

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
The Unforgiven

Hey Wolfgang... just an "FYI" here for ya...

If ya go to buyin' the Clint Eastwood dvd for the movie ya mentioned.... you will want to buy just plain ol'...Unforgiven.

The movie... The Unforgiven... stars Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn... and is a totally different kinda movie.

ts

Hey Wolfgang... just an "FYI" here for ya...

If ya go to buyin' the Clint Eastwood dvd for the movie ya mentioned.... you will want to buy just plain ol'...Unforgiven.

The movie... The Unforgiven... stars Burt Lancaster and Audrey Hepburn... and is a totally different kinda movie.

ts

I believe Audie Murphy was also in The Unforgiven.

LL'

Well if Griz says there were several squeals, I do believe that using a corn cob could get a person to squealing.

My folks have a place in northern Wisconsin. God's country to the rest of you. It is a genuine log cabin, first place on the lake. It had a privy also. We went there a few times in the winter. Let me tell you what. It is mighty difficult to get your sphincter to relax when your cheecks hit a frozen seat. Shivering does help to move things along though. The older kids would tell us something lived in the hole too. Scared the bejeebers out of us thinking you could be sitting there doing your business and something might reach up and grab you by the ,,,,,,,,,,,, Well they might grab you.

Then there are the stories of tipping outhouses at Halloween. Pretty desperate for entertainment.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

sphincter

Hey Vinagler... there's a great big one of those over in Egypt... somebody nearly shot the nose off'n it.

ts

Hey Vinagler... there's a great big one of those over in Egypt... somebody nearly shot the nose off'n it.

ts

That was probably quite a pucker factor. :rolleyes:

You've only seen this movie once??? Wolfgang you can git kicked out of SASS for less than that!!!:lol:

My favorite scene is when Munny, blasts the owner of Greeley's with a shotgun and Little Bill calls him a coward for shooting an unarmed man, Munny says,"Well he shoulda armed himself if he was gonna decorate his saloon with my friend"B)

My favorite also :)

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy Wolf, a good friend of mine has a beautiful house in the country, swimming pool, shooting range, gazebo etc. He also built 2 outhouses out back one for men and the other for women, including corn cobs and the 1887 Sears and Robuck catalog, it's a hoot!

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

The cresent moon is neat . . but I'm not sure if it is period coo-rect for the 1870s - 1880s. I'll do some research.

Yep.. it is.. now the sears catalog came later.. after the corn cobs.. lol

You got a book of poems about outhouses?

Don't know where I picked up this book but it has lead to more than a few wry comments... :D Just kinda seemed appropriate. Something like a coffee table book on coffee tables.

Oh, and darn good movie, by the way.

Archived