SASS Wire Forum

Do I really need a backup shotgun?

Aunt Jen

"Need" has got nothing to do with it. If you want it, git it!

Does this one sound like a good one for the money?

http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

Well AJ, I see you've talked yourself (or allowed the Wire to talk you) into buying another shotgun....NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THAT...never can have too many guns.

If you are going to get a backup and not shoot WB then get a Stoeger....if you are going to shoot WB then get the 97. But, if you get the 97...you need 2 backups for it. They say you need have one to shoot, one for backup and one for parts!! Just gets better all the time don't it!!

I have shot the '97. I have bought a 1911, out of liking the gun, not so much for a WB interest per se. But I am having trouble liking the '97 so much. I keep hearing them break down a lot, how you need 3...(partly that's real, partly that's humor), and they feel clunky. I could get into them sometime, but I don't really want to so much.

I've been leaning toward a Norinco 1887, lever action, I guess

If I bought this, I couldn't shoot WB, even once in a while. But at local matches, I could probably use it with my 1911 anyway, just not be categorized for WB

What do you think of the 1887 lever action for CAS

This one is without the Trench http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

This one is with the Trench http://www.iacshotguns.com/99t.html

I'm guessing the "Trench" is the little concave thing at the tip? (Kidding! I realize the reference to trench warfare... :) )

But if I went with one of these, then which one of these? Trench or no trench?

This one is without the Trench http://www.iacshotguns.com/97w.html

This one is with the Trench http://www.iacshotguns.com/99t.html

I'm guessing the "Trench" is the little concave thing at the tip? (Kidding! I realize the reference to trench warfare... :) )

But if I went with one of these, then which one of these? Trench or no trench?

Howdy Jen. You can only use the trench gun for Wild Bunch. But you can use a regular '97 for cowboy and WB.

• 5 months later...

Okay, I know this is an old thread but I just gotta add my $.02. Although the Stoeger is quite reliable the wood on mine was less than desireable. In fact, the stock chiped at the front on both sides of the tang. At first I ignored it but it kept getting worse. It got to the point where I could see the internal hammers functioning. Then the forehand split down the center and fell appart in my hand. When I got home I called Stoeger and they told me to send it in and they would replace the wood. It took a little under two months, but when their gunsmith finally looked at it he noticed that the breech was also loose so they replaced the gun rather than bother fixing it (even though I had disabled the automatic safety.) Meanwile my wife and I were without a shotgun for SASS.

We had been talking about getting a second shotgun so that we each would have one and we could share if one of us had issues. We just hadn't decedeon what model. I shoot fronteersman so an 1897 was out of the question. Since we didn't have a back-up my wife and I had to borrow shotguns for the next two matches. I borrowed a "Coyote Cap" 1887 to see how I liked it. Of course being the first time I had used it my time suffered but I liked it and the drop 2 mod wasn't all that hard to handle. The next match I borrowed the same shotgun and did a lot better with it. After the second match I went home and ordered a Chiappa 1887 for myself. I did have to do a couple of minor mods, as listed on the Coyote Cap website, but it is really smooth and works beautifully as long as I do my part.

BB

Back up guns . . . HuH . . .back up guns . . . I've got 4 double barreld shootguns . . . my main match original Winchester '73 is back up by my extra original Winchester '73 . . . and I can't keep track of how may pistols I've got . . .

. . . and you aske about having backup guns . . ?

You CANOOT HAVE TOO MANY GUNS . . . . :excl:

That is the "gunaholics creed" . . . :)

I subscribe to Wolfgang's school of thought! :)

I got 2 TTN hammer shotguns, one in an antique finish and one blued. I also have a Stoeger and a 97. That's my "Old West" shotguns, ya'll don't wanna know about the other "modern" ones but I do have several. I'm shotgun rich!:) Rye

One of my pards goes to most of the shoots I do and he campaigns two shooters. With two shooters and one shooting a 97 he feels he must carry a backup. I let him with the security that if my gun goes down he has one.

Hi Jen,

Just get the '97. Then you can do WBAS and use it for a SASS backup. WB is a hoot. :lol: Love stoking the tube of the '97.

I don't really understand all the talk about needing two or three backup '97s. I've been using the same '97 for almost 13 years. The only time I've had a problem was when I "Nancied" it pumping. I've got backups. I've just never needed them for my '97. I've had pistols break parts during a match and my rifle did once. I now know how to clear the "typical Marlin jam" all by myself. :)B)

I've had an '87 for 12 years. I got it for Plainsman and used it when I didn't have the strength to pump the '97 after wrist surgery and breaking my right arm. They are fun! If I were you, I'd go with the '97 though.

Regards,

Allie Mo

...need has nothing to do with it until your "need" it.

Ms. Mary Matilda and I both have backup Stoeger sxs'; hers in 20 gauge, mine in 12.

After going thru 10 or 12 shotguns before I found one I really liked, I decided to buy a backup. Not that I needed it, I just wanted it :excl: I bought a slicked up SKB from Johnny Meadows that is one really fine piece....and I just had to have another one. Had both of then for a few years now and they turned out to be good investment too, as the price of SKBs has really gone up.

^^EVERYTHING he said.^^

Buy MORE guns....don't need a reason or excuse.I'm a self admitted gunaholic.I have 1 Stoeger that was replaced by Stoeger last fall after I sent it in for repairs; and the person there determined it couldn't be fixed.It had developed a .016 gap between the barrels and the receiver.Got it....took it to a shoot and found I had a single shot.Right barrel wouldn't fire.Have 3 Baikals.Have 1 Winchester Mdl 24 and a hammered SxS.Plus 3 97's.I'm doing my part to stimulate the SASS economy.Also have 3 73's and 9 pistols.I had one of the Baikals with me when the NEW Stoeger decided it was a single shot,so I'm a fan of having a backup.

Archived