SASS Wire Forum

Do I really need a backup shotgun?

Aunt Jen

I use a SxS Stoeger, and it's fine. I have back-up rifles and revolvers—not because of any perceived need, but just because I think I liked them and spent money I shouldn't have.

But I do find that I only have one shotgun. For that Stoeger, do you think there really is any need for a back-up shotgun?

I have a back up Stoeger and no, I don't need it at all. I am not saying it can't break but I think chances are slim. Also, everybody would loan you yours. If you have the extra cash sitting around and want to buy one that is fine but I would put that money into another match to go to or more practice ammo or some other thing I deemed desireable.

My little lady shootin' pardner and I both use Stoegers. She HAS had to use mine as her back up before due to a mechanical problem with hers (quickly resolved at home after the match) but I have NOT had to use hers as mine has not failed me (yet). Will it happen? Probably sometime. Do I feel secure knowing I have another SxS on the gun cart? Yes ma'am I do.

Sometimes if I am shooting w/o her I will take either my '87 ot '97 as a back up for my own peace of mind.

I just feel better having another one with me although I am certain if I needed a shotgun, I would be able to borrow one from someone on my posse.

My 2 centavos.

Dan

I know a pard that had his stoeger lock up at a match and had to use his back up when he got home and took it apart he found a #9 pellet inside. That said at our last shoot another pard had his 97 lose a screw I was glad to offer him my stoeger for last stage. Do you need probably not do you want is more the question. I have 2 sets of guns and 3 shooters still trying to get us all a set but works out if we all get to loading table on good rotation.

Wildman

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Hey Jen, you definitly need another shotgun, and a pistol and a rifle. That was always what I said, I needed it, my great wife always said "If you can afford it, get it,you deserve it"

ENG :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

AJ, got a 12ga, sxs or double barrel, mule eared, as it's know in Tejas,

and it's back up is a stoger sxs and it's back up a 1881 lever action 12 ga.

Think I need a 97.....What do you think ?

Jen, no, you don't need a back up. If yours fails during a match, someone will let you use theirs to finish the match and then you can get yours fixed or replaced. If you were shooting every weekend, then maybe, but generally not needed.

You may want another shotgun for reasons other than backup. When shooting smokeless I bring along a '97 and use it for stages with odd numbers of shotgun targets (say 3 or 5). Also I use it on stages that require vertically-staged shotguns. A long-barrelled shotgun is handy for stages with flying birds. You could get a long-barreled shotgun as a backup and then have it available for shotgun side matches.

I use a SxS Stoeger, and it's fine. I have back-up rifles and revolvers—not because of any perceived need, but just because I think I liked them and spent money I shouldn't have.

But I do find that I only have one shotgun. For that Stoeger, do you think there really is any need for a back-up shotgun?

Back up guns . . . HuH . . .back up guns . . . I've got 4 double barreld shootguns . . . my main match original Winchester '73 is back up by my extra original Winchester '73 . . . and I can't keep track of how may pistols I've got . . .

. . . and you aske about having backup guns . . ?

You CANOOT HAVE TOO MANY GUNS . . . . :excl:

That is the "gunaholics creed" . . . :)

Back up guns . . . HuH . . .back up guns . . . I've got 4 double barreld shootguns . . . my main match original Winchester '73 is back up by my extra original Winchester '73 . . . and I can't keep track of how may pistols I've got . . .

. . . and you aske about having backup guns . . ?

You CANOOT HAVE TOO MANY GUNS . . . . :excl:

That is the "gunaholics creed" . . . :)

My creed exactly, Wolfgang !!;)

After going thru 10 or 12 shotguns before I found one I really liked, I decided to buy a backup. Not that I needed it, I just wanted it :excl: I bought a slicked up SKB from Johnny Meadows that is one really fine piece....and I just had to have another one. Had both of then for a few years now and they turned out to be good investment too, as the price of SKBs has really gone up.

Never needed one.

Didn't say I didn't want one one, just never needed it. :lol:

Well,, I use a pump.. and I have a back up only because I have friends on my posse.. But the truth is you need a back up.. Only becauase it means you get to own more guns.. lol..

I reckon I should add to my prior post.

'Need' is an interesting word, and it depends on who you are talking to if you really 'need' a backup. If you are trying to justify a purchase to someone, why yes you need a back up. If you are just talking to yourself, well then I am of the opinion that no, you don't 'need' a backup. Now 'want' on the other hand is a whole nother subject.

Now lets look at the term 'back up gun'

If you are ultra competitive and want to be able to seamlessly transition to a back up gun, then it needs to be EXACTLY like your main gun. Ideally about the same amount of wear and tear on it in addition to any slicking up.

Now if you're slow like me, or even fast but don't care alot about being competitive, then a back up could be a completely different model of gun. For example my main CAS shotgun is a hammered double. It is the only gun I have a 'back up' for, but only because I wanted a hammerless double for when I'm feeling gamey. I rarely take my 'back up' shotgun to the range, so it's really not a 'back up' per se LOL.

I think all this hot weather is cooking my brains, what little I have left after my wild teens and twenties.

Well, thank you all kindly for your input. I'm inclined to do something rather unusual—be practical and show some restraint—and not buy one, at least for now. I've spent too much.

So thank you all for that.

Look at it this way if I am not mistakeing Jen you are gearing up for WB so you will need a 97.....so now you have a back up for you SXS....but now you need a back up for the 97...:)

Look at it this way if I am not mistakeing Jen you are gearing up for WB so you will need a 97.....so now you have a back up for you SXS....but now you need a back up for the 97...:)

Actually truer words have not been spoken on this here wahr. From what I understand if you are shooting a 97 you should have a minimum of three of them! :D

I have bought a Sig 1911, but I didn't really plan to shoot WB. I might, but who knows. I just liked it, so...

I only have the Stoeger SxS, no other shotgun. Will I get a '97 for backup? I don't know. We'll see.

But for now, I'll hold.

BTW: Some of my girlfriends think I'm off my gourd for the gun thing.

How can I explain it to them?

My girlfriend (who loves CAS at least as much as I do) is still trying to figure out how to explain it to her "non" gun-type girlfriends. Her two best friends shoot bluerock and they pretty much "get it" but the rest just shake their heads. Her mother thinks she has gone loco. They DO however think the clothing and costuming is awesome though.

Dan

Yes, the cothing/costuming is easy for them to get. But why would you want to shoot? (They wonder.)

But then that's probably partly 'cause I'm living in "civilized" territory, these days. I think they really don't get the Farm thing from the Midwest,also.

Spoken like a true "Gunaholic" :)

yeah,. I pray at night for a cure.. loll But all God gives me is a hug.. lol

I'm going to chime in here with a different reply.

If you can use another person's shotgun without any problem or discomfort, then you don't need a back up.

If you need the stock cut to a specific length to shoot well and without discomfort, then start considering (and putting money away) for a back up.

Common wisdom is that a Stoeger has X number of rounds in it and that once it exceeds that number, they start to break and become expensive or impossible to fix.

You CANNOT . . . they will never understand . . . just leave them in ignorance and stick to communicating with other "gunaholics" . . we understand :)

yeah,. I pray at night for a cure.. loll But all God gives me is a hug.. lol

A really "true gunaholic" does not seek a "cure" <_< . . . just enjoys having guns, buying guns, and dreaming about buying even MORE GUNS. . ...... :):blink::huh:;)

AJ

The short awnser IMO is yes , and a back-up for the back-ups . That being said: the 97s are prone to going down , But I have been able to get mine back up and running before the next shoot , most of the time by the next stage .

I am running a Kudanian with a very low S/N , think 0001X low , The only time it was the next match was when the Right Hand Extractor went down range , and I did not have a spare with me . I have been using that 97 for a long time as my MM S/G .

I do not like to use other folks guns , alltho , they have always been offered , just like I will offer mine if someones stuff goes down .

CB

Bring 'em out to a cowboy shoot and let them observe the fun for themselves. They'll probably start askin what kind of guns, clothes and leather should I buy!!:)

Oh and yes ya do NEED a backup, it's like havin insurance, ya may not need it but it comes in handy when ya do!B)

I have backup for all my main match guns and they are exactly like the one that would replaced eg. make, caliber, barrel length, modifications and fit. But the truth is that I never take one to a monthly match...go to monthlys about 3 times a month. When I go to annuals, regionals, Winter Range, etc thay all go with me. I have spent too much time and money getting to the shoot and want the insurance that if there is a problem, I can still keep shooting. I realize that IF you have a problem, you score will probably suffer, but I still want to finish with as little problem as possible.Insurance can me a little expensive as I stated in my earlier post :lol:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Do I really need a backup shotgun?

Only if yore goin' backwards.

ts

I have identical backups for all my main match guns, except my 56-50 Spencer but, truth be known, if you're shooting .38, .357, .45 Colt, 12 ga, or 20 ga, you probably don't need them.

Archived