SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone done rawhide braiding/applique to enhance a gun rig?

Rancid Loosehammer

Has anyone done rawhide braiding or rawhide applique work to enhance a gunbelt or holster?

If so, I would love to see some pictures!

Here are pictures of my gunbelt. The single-gun rig was custom made for me by Rudy Lozano at Black Hills Leather. I told him I only wanted 6 bullet loops on the front of the belt to the right of the buckle, and for the belt to be diamond stitched. I told him I wanted a John Wayne style holster, but one that sat the gun as high on the belt as possible and with a 15-degree forward cant. The holster works well at the 3 oclock strong-side position for SASS (to avoid having to sashay to comply with the 160 degree rule) and also at the 4 oclock position where I like to carry my guns for all other use.

I made the knife sheath from scratch, and did all of the rawhide work myself.

I carry my 2nd pistol in a shoulder holster.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101870376335211233166/August16201102#

I wanted something a little different other than tooling or conchos and stuff, so I bought a book titled "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant, got some scrap leather and some rawhide lacing from Tandy, and spent about a month in front of the TV learning and getting my results looking right. You don't want to go poking holes in your gunbelt until you're sure you know what you're doing.

If anyone else has done something like this, I would love to see your work and what design you came up with! If nobody else has done this kind of thing, well, mebbe-so this will get some of you interested in doing this sort of thing. After all, it is the sort of thing some bored cowboy would have done to pass the time at night in the bunkhouse.

Archived