SASS Wire Forum

Lee Auto Prime

Noz

I've been using said equipment since I began re-loading.

I've never had any number of "high" primers.

I bought a new one and it is the redesigned one with the square tray. I'm getting a "failure to fire" at the rate of about 4%.

I always check the primers after seating with my finger and they seem to be seating at or below the face of the base of the case.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm interested in the responses. I was just about to order one.

No but I had considered buying one of the new ones. Now, perhaps I will stay with the tried and

true old one. I have had a few high primers in the past. Not many, but a few. However, they could

have come off my old rockchucker press with the priming arm. I have since quit using the rockchucker and now prime exclusively by hand. I have not had any high primers in a while.

Now just watch, I will get one for sure. <_<

I bought one of the new ones and hated it. All in the name of safety they ruined a good tool!

I bought a Hornady and it works great! And I don't get sore hands from priming 500+ rounds.

I am going through all of the loaded 44-40 rounds I have (around 900) and checking primer height. I use the old tool and I have found 50 or so that are not seated as deeply as the old tool works. I've set those aside for further consideration.

The old tool either seated them solidly or it did not. A did not meant debris in the primer pocket. This happened rarely.

The new tool has a long stroke with steadily increasing pressure. Then a break over and a really smashed in primer. I don't think I will ever get the right "touch" with it.

I know where there is an old machine that is priced too high but I think I'll buy it anyway.

Noz I bought one of the old ones and broke it after about 6 months IIRC. Replaced it with the hornady and the only problem I've ever had with it was loosing the shell holder inserts which of course were found after buying news ones from hornady.

With the lee, the old one at least, I found myself uing my thumb to seat primers and though I didnt have high primers it did wear my thumb out. With the hornady its more like a nutcracker and uses four fingers instead, feel is much better on seating. The other thing about the hornady is that without the primer tray I can sit and double check seating on rounds real quickly.

Get the hornady.

Archived