SASS Wire Forum

S Attorney denies that border agent kin are victims

If this weren't so sad, it would be hysterical.

Operation Fast and Furious, the government's illegal gun pipeline to Mexico, was run under at least the nominal supervision of the U.S. Attorney in Phoenix, Dennis Burke.

Jaime Avila, the man who illegally bought the guns that were run to Mexico, and later used to kill U.S. Border Agent Brian Terry, is being criminally prosecuted by Burke's office.

Terry's family has asked to be designated as "victims" of this crime, which would entitle them to confer with the prosecuting attorney and be heard at the sentencing stage.

Burke has...objected. Yep; the U.S. Attorney is arguing that the family of a man killed by these guns are not victims of the crime. Seems he has some concerns with the family being opposed to any deal that he might cut with Avila, or speaking out at sentencing. Too embarrassing...

Some very cynical folks are suggesting that Terry may be worried about a wrongful death action that the family may file against the U.S., and maybe against him.....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/11/us-attorneys-office-rejects-family-slain-border-patrol-agent-as-crime-victims/

LL

Arrogant bunch, aren't they...? <_<

Slightly OT, it's going to be interesting to see what the Supremes do with Governor Brewer's appeal... :huh:

>Yep; the U.S. Attorney is arguing that the family of a man killed by these guns are not victims of the crime.

With. WITH. WITH

The guns did not kill anybody.

That stupidity coming out of the mouth of a liberal lawmaker gripes my ass. Somebody that is, supposedly, pro gun should know better.

he's nothing but a damned politician...

I read this today too! My thought is the DOJ isn't interested in justice or supporting the law - they are losers...just like their boss :angry:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I forgot the exact statement, but essentially someone stated that the US Attorney had to, given that they (DOJ & ATF) are almost certainly complicit in the agent's death and that granting victim status, it would cause Fast & Furious to blow up in their faces.

I see the family appealing this and the judge granting them victim status.

Archived