SASS Wire Forum

TTN SXS

Jocko, SASS#25039

Yep, TTN is a fine SxS. The only gun that might be better made (among current production) is the Pioneer (Polish) gun. But it's three times the price and hard to find.

Slight bits of work (dehorn hammers, smooth the breech, lighten a few leaf springs if needed) and you have a great hammer double.

Good luck, GJ

Great gun, polished the chambers a bit with a blue shop towel, rubbed off the shipping grease, had worked great over the last three years and had loosened up a bit in a good way. Most cut off the little spurs on the hammers to avoid catching a finger on them.

Just check the screws that hold the latch on the fore end, if they work themselves loose you'll go to close the shotgun at a regional match and it will fall apart.

Grizz

I have shot one for the last 4 years, over the last 2 years the gun has been shot almost every weekend, as well as regionals Winter Range, annuals, etc. lots of rounds through it. (shooting classic cowboy) I reversed the triggers so the front left trigger fires left barrel first, then sweep back to the right trigger. I removed the horns on the hammers so I can use the T-Bone Dooley shooting technique. Chambers are funneled and polished. Only thing I would suggest is that monthly (depending on the amount of use) you will want to tear the side plates down and lube and tighten all of the screws. The gun has held up. I do have a back-up that has not seen much action. It's a very good value.

TB

Best value for money by far. I just dehorned the hammers, took a bit of metal off the springs and polished up the breech area. Handles my reloads without complaining. I love the little critter.

The only problem I've had with mine is that it often binds part-way open when I go to eject spent shells. I've had no work done on it, other than to ake out the ejector and file it a little (and grease it a lot). It works fine with no shells in it, or with unfired shells, so I suspect the fired shells are expanding just a tad and getting slightly jammed against the sides of the chamber. From what's been said above, I might need to have the chambers polished.

Badlands, I have owned two TTN shotguns and they both required the chambers to be "slightly polished". You don't want a real shiny finish as that will cause sticking. A brake cylinder hone from a parts store and a little Kroil work great. Remember to go slow and try it before just going all out. Clean out the chambers and see if they shuck OK if not you may take more but you can't put any back. Take Care David

I have had one for about 5 years and it is a great gun.

BUT!

On July 2nd I lost the nut that holds the right firing pin, the firing pin and the spring after shooting one stage of a match. Apparently Cimarron is the only place to get parts ~ and I can't get that part 'cause they "don't have it in stock."

Hoping to shoot it again someday,

eGG

Hi

Best double you can buy for the money it needs to be tricked out but is very good after the only one better is skb 200E it is fantastic but very expensive it shoots and handles like a dream. Very light weight and with lite loads it has hardly any kick.

Ct Yankee

TTN, the preferred shotgun of CLASSIC COWBOYS/COWGIRLS.

Ghost

One of the nicest ones that I've ever shot is for sale right now. PM me for details and I'll put y'all in touch.

• 4 weeks later...

From working on guns all the time I can only tell you that TTN guns are junk from the workmanship stand point. Parts support is horable too. They should only cost about $250.00 when you look at the quality of them. But right now they are the only feasable option on the market for a hammer double.

I have been shooting a TTN for the past 3 years and it is probably my favorite gun to shoot,especially if I can let loose with both barrels at the same time.(must be a Darksider thing)It does have the lighter hammer springs and I did do a little polishing on the chambers and it shucks pretty much all hulls real well.But it does prefer STS hulls the best.Would not mind having another one.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

I got mine in 2005, I think; one of the early models with the one-screw sideplate. A local smith lightned the hammer springs & latch spring (the latch was REAL stiff), and chamfered the chambers. I've had ZERO problems with it. I did NOT de-spur the hammers; I cock with the thumb of my shootin' hand on the dump stroke. If you palm-cock the hammers, though, the spurs WILL CUT YOU!!!

From working on guns all the time I can only tell you that TTN guns are junk from the workmanship stand point. Parts support is horable too. They should only cost about $250.00 when you look at the quality of them. But right now they are the only feasable option on the market for a hammer double.]

Baikal hammered doubles are available. (real hammers) I know where there are two new in the box Lifetime replacement warranty Baikal doubles, multi-choke, steel butplate, walnut checkered stock. PM for more info.

Marshall John Joseph

• 4 weeks later...

Solved my "binding" problem. Like I suspected, it was the shells. Not just the shells, but the brand of shells. The ones that bind after firing are/were all Winchesters; I've switched over to Remington and not a hitch. Someone smarter than me will have to explain the difference between the two.

Solved my "binding" problem. Like I suspected, it was the shells. Not just the shells, but the brand of shells. The ones that bind after firing are/were all Winchesters; I've switched over to Remington and not a hitch. Someone smarter than me will have to explain the difference between the two.

You might look about 1/2 inch above the brass at the hull on those shells that won't work for you. I've recently had one lot of Win AA Reduced Noise Reduced Recoil factory loads that appeared to have the wad seated too hard, causing a ridge to pop up on the side of the hull (directly outside from the white plastic base insert that Win AAs now have). Works OK if you are shooting slow and don't have to worry about extraction (think trap or skeet), but not for our game. Caused our doubles (three different ones, including a TTN) to be difficult to shuck. We didn't get the failure to open the barrels, though.

Good luck, GJ

My TTN has had a similar problem with difficulty opening after firing, but it was a different brand of shells. They were Nobel Sport (NSI) Low Recoil (Orange) shells. The brass base had a definite bulge at the point in the chamber where the extractors are located. My gun is stock but is an older one, 2004. These same shells fired fine in a Liberty II and a Baikal with no bulging. I know of a '97 shooter who had a similar bulge show up with these shells, but they did not bind. YMMV.

From working on guns all the time I can only tell you that TTN guns are junk from the workmanship stand point. Parts support is horable too. They should only cost about $250.00 when you look at the quality of them. But right now they are the only feasable option on the market for a hammer double.

The only thing I disagree with Colt is I think they are a $98.00 gun from Big-5 Sporting goods!!!

The man who first went to work on selling the TTN was working for EMF about a year or so ago. I don't know if he is still there but EMF is saying they are bringing the gun back out. Who is making it will be the big question as they have a few very bad Italian companies that can't make nothing that will work.

I love mine. The only thing I've done to it was to give the chambers a few turns with a brake cylinder hone to smooth out the machine marks so the shells would drop out easier.

I have had one for about 5 years and it is a great gun.

BUT!

On July 2nd I lost the nut that holds the right firing pin, the firing pin and the spring after shooting one stage of a match. Apparently Cimarron is the only place to get parts ~ and I can't get that part 'cause they "don't have it in stock."

Hoping to shoot it again someday,

eGG

Shoot me an email. I think I have those parts. Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Archived