SASS Wire Forum

Total Addiction and what caused it..

Deja Vous

I have my own story about why I love guns and the west. Growing up my father moved his children out as far from town as he could and put us all to work on the farm. We watched westerns, talked cattle and horses at the dinner table, lived for 4H, the rodeo, and enjoyed the rural life. When we play with the neighbors I got to be the indian most of the the time. Being the youngest and smallest and the darkest put me in that category. So, while I knew how to shoot real guns, I was handed a role for bow and arrow.. and I lived it.. lol.. The westerns on TV, the table talk, the code of the west.. and my dad had a huge impact upon what I loved in life. That never changed and I have loved the western way of life ever since. So... what caused your addiction?

Feeling like I was born 100 years too late...

What caused my addiction?

I mistakenly thought it would be a lot cheaper than a therapist!! :lol::o:lol:

I was fortunate as a youngin........

I got to meet Roy and Gene. They were interested in the dogs that my mother sold. And we always got free tickets to the rodeo at Madison Square garden each year.

And to go to bed on Saturday night to "High Ho Silver away" on the radio.

<pondering> Except I never understood it when Gene was fighting robots underground? Not very Western.

Well, I wouldn't call it an addiction, but our family was based around a farm, and I suppose that set the stage. We used to go over to my great grandfather and great grandmother's house on their farm, and he'd get us out in the yard, shooting. He helped me shoot my first round when I must have been 4 or so. I don't remember the age, but I remember the experience with him.

I am guessing it's not the shooting, itself, as without people it'd be a static exercise in mechanics. For me, it's the nostalgia of good times. I'm from a gun culture, and I've had so many good times with friends or family, so many great afternoons out in the country, spending time thinking about targeting, having a sandwich or some fried chicken.

I think that going out to a match and spending time with folks thinkin' and plinkin feels good to me because of that nostalgia, the being around people who also want to do that. Next to that, I'd guess it's the connection to heritage, to our history, to the history of my family. And next to that, I'd guess it's the break from town, the get away.

To me, "cowboys and cowgirls" is not something I see in the movies; it's the way we lived during that time, when we struggled to survive and explore.

My dad is an Oklahoma cowboy. The family moved to southern California in the 30's. He had a job as a teenager which he rode his horse to Los Angeles on Friday nights to ride horses through the LA livestock auctions until Sunday. Made .25 per horse. .35 to .50 when he rode the wide horses. He and his teenage friends hunted all over the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains. He says I was 8 weeks old when the doctors allowed me to be taken on trips up in to the mountains of San Bernardino. I do not know how old I was when he had me shooting guns. I got my own first long gun at 6. Remington Model 512 bolt action. Still have it. Got my first revolver at 8. Ruger single six. Still have that as well.

My dad also worked horses for some of the movie cowboys. He knew Gene Autry, William Boyd and a few others on a first name basis. I met many of them. He would break horses for and look over horses for some of them when they were buying.

I did not get his love for horses. But I do like the western and my guns. Almost all are western type. I think I have only three non western guns.

My addiction goes waaay back to the 50's and TV westerns. With my two gun criss cross rig of cap guns I was the fastest draw in my neighborhood. Noone could beat me to the draw! :P My Dad used to take me to the movies and we'd always go see a western. He also used to take me to baseball games and guess what occupies my free time now? Yep you guessed it, cowboy action shooting, cowboy movies and baseball!! Funny how ya git younger as ya get older.:blink: Oh and yea, there's still no one that can outdraw me!

SAY WHEN!:P RYE

I'm not addicted. I can quit any time I want.

Seriously.

I'm not kidding.

I mean it. :unsure:

Well, long story short, I discovered girls at an early age. I also discovered that they had curves and they were smooth and pleasing to hold. Then I discovered guns. They too had curves and and were pleasing to hold. I usually got in a lot less trouble holding guns than holding girls. The girls didn't like it. The guns didn't comment. So I became attracted to guns.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

BadgerMC, that is hilarious, and oh, so true; I got in much more trouble over girls than ever with guns. Another thing that led me down this trail was an unbridled sense of independence, and the need to tread paths that in my family were never trod. Fortunately, my folks didn't discourage me, but directed my interests where I could find good counsel and guidance; my interests were not their cup of tea, but if I were to follow my desires, they ensured that I did it safely and in a reasonable and intelligent manner.

When you grow up out in the middle of nowhere on the High Plains of Texas where there's no trees, no rivers, and so on there's nothing else to do. My first memory is of my uncle letting me shoot his Colt Woodsman and it was full speed ahead. By age 9 I had every page, even the ballistic tables, memorized from a 1956 Shooters Bible. I'd a gone nuts without my BB guns and later 22 rifle.

Ok, I feel a very long story coming, so git some popcorn, and put yur feet up........................

My easlest memories is of my Great, Great Grandfather. I would listen to his stories about how he shot bandits and such. I remember he let me shot is Colt 45 black powder pistol. My butt kissed the ground from the recoil.He would pull out his pin knife, touch an apple and a peice woould fall off. And He gave me my 1st fighting knife, which I carryed in Nam and brought it back home. He passed at 102.

Great Grandfather would tell me the stories his father and Grandfather passed on to him. I could feel the fear and pride he felt when his Grandfather told of the stories fighting the whites for the people's land. He wore a white shrit, every button was buttoned, in the 110 in the shade, with his silver braids hanging down.

I worked as a real cowboy riding for the FourSixesRanch, in Del Rio, Tejas. We had to keep the cattle moving so they would over gaze an area. We all carryed two guns, a weapon of yur choice, plus a 12ga for rattle snakes. All for $2000.00 a year...all expeses paid !!

Spend many night out under the starry shys and in the cold rain. Had no running water, no in doors plumbing, just a dity floor and a rope bed.

When I go to matches, I step back in time. Even my speech changes.....ask my wife, she'll tell ya........I go back in time...and I love it !

Ok, I feel a very long story coming, so git some popcorn, and put yur feet up........................

My easlest memories is of my Great, Great Grandfather. I would listen to his stories about how he shot bandits and such. I remember he let me shot is Colt 45 black powder pistol. My butt kissed the ground from the recoil.He would pull out his pin knife, touch an apple and a peice woould fall off. And He gave me my 1st fighting knife, which I carryed in Nam and brought it back home. He passed at 102.

Great Grandfather would tell me the stories his father and Grandfather passed on to him. I could feel the fear and pride he felt when his Grandfather told of the stories fighting the whites for the people's land. He wore a white shrit, every button was buttoned, in the 110 in the shade, with his silver braids hanging down.

I worked as a real cowboy riding for the FourSixesRanch, in Del Rio, Tejas. We had to keep the cattle moving so they would over gaze an area. We all carryed two guns, a weapon of yur choice, plus a 12ga for rattle snakes. All for $2000.00 a year...all expeses paid !!

Spend many night out under the starry shys and in the cold rain. Had no running water, no in doors plumbing, just a dity floor and a rope bed.

When I go to matches, I step back in time. Even my speech changes.....ask my wife, she'll tell ya........I go back in time...and I love it !

That's a great story Hawk, please tell us more!B) Rye

I was five years old and lived in Florida. My dad and my mom's cousin came back from a deer hunting trip and Dad had this .308 rifle. I wanted to shoot it bad and begged and pleaded 'til he finally gave in.

It left a serious bruise on my right shoulder and hurt for a few days, but I was HOOKED!! That was the last time I shot right handed and the last time I pulled the trigger without the stock pulled into my shoulder really good.

Dad was a master shooter with a pistol and won several service weapon competitions. My brother and my son inherited his natural ability. I'm not so sure about myself, but I probably have a lot more fun than either of them. :rolleyes::unsure:

Ok, Y'all ..Rye asked fer it...don't blame me, blame him !!! :D

Ma should me a very early photo, black and white, of course, of me in diapers, sleeping on the back of a mare as she grazed in the padlock.

I can remember my Great Great Grandfather as he would tell me stoires of how he lived as a little boy on the new founded res. But when he would drink, he would tell stories of bandtios he had killed, and so forth, they tought I was asleep all the time.

Broke my heart when he passed. Heaven gained another warroir! ut he left me with that fighting knife that I carryed in Nam. I still have it and had a copy of it made to carry in the SASS matches. The orgirgnal is in a safty deposit box at the bank. Soon, my 1st born will have it.

Great Grandfather taught me how to live of the harsh desert landscape. He taught me how to skin, and brain tan and smoke the hides of mule deer which I had killed. Let me tell ya, if you ever brain tanned a hide, with all the work that goes into it, you will not cut it up at all !

Great Grandfather taught me how to build smokless fire, and how to respect Mother Earth. In the heat of a West Tejas day, he sat in the shade, 110 degress, white shrit on, all buttons where buttoned and his gray braids falling from under his hat.

He gave me stick, tied a string on it and said to me, "Here Son, Here's yur pony...keep'er at a trot. I would ride that stick one way, then the other while he just laughed. Later would come that pin knife and apple. Still later he taught me how to sing to the sprirts. Little to say, but I miss him greatly.

His Dad gave him a colt 45 pistol his Dad got from a white man. Don't know how. Said that gun killed many men. Great Grandfather gave it to my Dad. And now I have it. I will be giving it to my 1st born also, along with the knife, this Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Hawk, ya outta git someone to write a book (or do it yourself) about your great grandfathers and you growing up with 'em. It would be a fascinating story. I enjoyed that, Rye B)

Hawk, ya outta git someone to write a book (or do it yourself) about your great grandfathers and you growing up with 'em. It would be a fascinating story. I enjoyed that, Rye B)

Ok Rye, dat's two folks dat told me dat.

Two more might do da trick. (Some Bulliet won't hurt neither ! ;) )

Archived