SASS Wire Forum

Any Body Use Redding Profile Crimp Dies? I'm Looking at one for my 45-60 wondering if it does a better job than a seating/crimp die combo

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

Any Body Use Redding Profile Crimp Dies?

I'm Looking at one for my 45-60 wondering if it does a better job than a seating/crimp die combo.

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

I use one on my 45 Schofield ammo. Makes a nice deep roll crimp, much better than the Dillon die I was using. .

Use one on .44-40 ammo. It's able to take out any slight bulge in the neck due to over lengths cases (I don't trim .44-40). And it puts on a very nice roll crimp. Compared to a Lee Factory Crimp die, it actually sizes the neck slightly tighter, too.

I use it in addition to a standard seating die, set so as to not put any crimp on. Then all the crimp is placed with the Redding die.

Good stuff.

Good luck, GJ

Any Body Use Redding Profile Crimp Dies?

I'm Looking at one for my 45-60 wondering if it does a better job than a seating/crimp die combo.

Input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Dawg

Dawg,

No crimp die I am aware of, even comes close to the efficiency of a Redding Profile Crimp Die, when used on straight sided cases. I use them in 32 H&R Mag., 38/357 mag., 41 Rem. Mag., and 45 LC. Put's the strongest crimps possible when adjusted to do so.

However, I do not find that they make one specifically for the 45-60. PM sent for more information.

RBK

Thanks fellas:

This was the kind of information I was looking for.

--Dawg

I started using one in 44-40 last year and it does a great job. It gives that classic easy roll look instead of the pinch the Lee die leaves. I seat in one stage and crimp in a separate stage. It does a better job than my RCBS dies also.

Archived