SASS Wire Forum

My old lead pot.

About 20 years ago when I was working as a teleco tech I found a shallow round iron pot on the curb next to the trash cans. I thought it would make a good lead pot. I never paid any attention to the make until today. On the bottom it says ERIE 780 Mar. 2 '90 (I think it's GRISWALD) That dang thing is worth about $80

TF

I am related to the family that made the Griswold Iron ware and I cleaned out about 600 lbs of assorted Cast iron and Heavy Cast Aluminum pots and pans and etc back in the 70s When a Great Uncle died and Got a very good price for it even then esp for the Aluminum stuff which was more than half by weight turned out that a lot of them were prototype or short run production for a display at a worlds fair the Heavy Cast AL stuff was designed for commercial kitchens and one item I recall was several 3 and 4 pot sets that were segments of a circle so that on one Big 10" or 12" restaurant burner you could have 3 or 4 pots taking up the space of one and have several sauces simmering at the same time... Most of the stuff went to a collector who was an Exec at a Big aluminum company (ALCOA ?) but on of the big heavy 3 in 1 burner space things went to Julia Child of all People as My sister knew her in Cambridge and told her about the stash.... wonder where it is now... the multi pots had a very clever detachable handle one handle for each 3 or 4 pot set

Sure you can bead blast the old cast iron but you will need to season it again when you are done

Bead blasting and sand blasting can ruin the collector value. Do a google search for Griswold or Wagner Ware collector and you will find several different methods of cleaning off rust, burnt on grease and fixing other bad things that happen to Cast Iron over the years.

Then season it again and start cooking in it.

If you just want to sell it, some collectors would prefer to buy it as is so they can restore it their way.

That was my first thought... I have some old cast iron cook pots I've used for lead for decades, and they're so marked... :unsure:

Tom, here's a site that not only might be of help but is just downright interesting:

Griswold and Cast Iron Collectible's Forum

About mid-page there's a forum on "cleaning and restoration."

Also, if you Google "Cleaning Dutch Ovens with Electrolysis" you'll find several links with how-to instructions on that process... Unfortunately, I can't open them here at work - dutch oven cookery is considered seditious in some circles, I reckon... <_<

I don't tank pots absorb lead as Buffalo Arms still sells them.

But what do I know bout lead expect it makes a nice nosie when it hits steel !! :lol: :lol:

Back around the middle of the last century aluminum cookware like you describe was sold at "home parties". It was branded Guardian Service and is being sold now on ebay. If you google Guardian Service Cookware you will probably come up with several sites that have information.

Drifter

Back around the middle of the last century aluminum cookware like you describe was sold at "home parties". It was branded Guardian Service and is being sold now on ebay. If you google Guardian Service Cookware you will probably come up with several sites that have information.

Drifter

Looking at the photos of Guardian product it seems to be much lighter than the more industrial Griswold stuff I was working with. Think of mess hall sized equipment with quite thick wall sections; some of it looked like it had been made with slightly modified patterns intended for use with their cast iron products.

Archived