SASS Wire Forum

Magtec Brass Shotgun Shells: Drill out primer pocket?

Mad Dog McGee

Shot some of my reloads today with BP (FFG). There was a lot of unburnt powder, flames, and quiet a kick. 1 oz shot , 2 3/4 drams powder.

Also the overshot card was in the cardboard target . Please advise if I need to enlarge the primer hole to make it burn better. Got a match Sat. so I need to load tomorrow. Thanks in advance! Mad Dog McGee (Not really complaining about the flames)

Your load is hot for what we need in SASS/CAS.

Try a 45 Colt case full of BP 2F, One nitro card, 1/2" cushion wad, 12 gauge wad W/ 7/8-1oz of shot, and an Over shot card. Seal with Duco cement or Elmers Glue. Do not compress the 12 gauge wad shot cup.

Do not drill out the primer pocket, I use CCI Mag Large pistol primers.

This load burns clean and will take down any Knock-down you will encounter.

Mad Dog ---- I will bring you a box of my BP shotshells to shoot on SAT!! We can talk about the formula you need to use, grasshopper! Either in plastic or brass, I got what you need to know.

I dont think you need to drill out the pocket. I load mine just under square, a little less powder than shot by volume. I use fiber wads, compress the powder real good, and they burn just fine. I use Winchester large pistol primers.

Mad Dog ---- I will bring you a box of my BP shotshells to shoot on SAT!! We can talk about the formula you need to use, grasshopper! Either in plastic or brass, I got what you need to know.

Thanks Pard, I can truly say that you are the GREAT ONE! I really appreciate you helping me! You are one of the best shooters I know of as well as a great friend and Pard! See you Sat.! Mad Dog McGee

Follow the lead of the Soot Lord my son. The force is with him. ;)

Archived