SASS Wire Forum

Magazine on Marlin 1894c

Hawknose Bill

I read somewhere that you can do work on the magazine spring on a Marlin 1894c with an 18 1/2" barrel, to allow it to hold 10 .357 magnum rounds. Is that true and, of so, how is it done and is it safe?

HB, had the same question when we started SASS with our Big 5 Marlin. And I'll give you the answer our good pards here gave me:

You can trim the spring by an inch or so to gain the additional space for 10 .357s. 10 .38s will fit without trimming, but it's a might bit tight. Start slow at about an inch, and nip small sections of the spring. It's perfectly safe. You may will want to use dummy rounds when testing your magazine capacity.

The Marlin is a fantastic little carbine.

Welcome to the fire!

I'm sure Widder will jump in, cause he's the one that told me I could take about 3 inches or so off. I did and have had no problems.

DAS

HB, had the same question when we started SASS with our Big 5 Marlin. And I'll give you the answer our good pards here gave me:

You can trim the spring by an inch or so to gain the additional space for 10 .357s. 10 .38s will fit without trimming, but it's a might bit tight. Start slow at about an inch, and nip small sections of the spring. It's perfectly safe. You may will want to use dummy rounds when testing your magazine capacity.

The Marlin is a fantastic little carbine.

Welcome to the fire!

Looks like I have a project for tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm sure Widder will jump in, cause he's the one that told me I could take about 3 inches or so off. I did and have had no problems.

DAS

Howdy DA.

On a NEW spring, you can trim your mag tube spring to about 3 inches longer than your mag tube BUT, I personally wouldn't go less than 2" on a NEW spring because it can possibly 'set' on you and cause you to have insufficient spring strength to push your last round onto the carrier in a timely manner.

If its an older spring that has been in the rifle awhile, its probably already 'set' and you can trim that one down to about 2" longer than the mag tube. This might be enough to allow you enough room to put 10 .357 length rounds in the mag tube.

I know that some folks will tell you that the way new springs are made and tempered, you get little, if any, 'set' on them. But the last two NEW springs that I have used 'set' approx 1 - 1.5" shorter. But, I must also say that even when they 'set', they were still great springs and always functioned perfect.

P.S. - the Marlin is a great rifle and can be set up to run faster than we can pull the trigger. Deuce Stevens holds the Cowboy speed rifle record using a Marlin.

..........Widder

Howdy DA.

On a NEW spring, you can trim your mag tube spring to about 3 inches longer than your mag tube BUT, I personally wouldn't go less than 2" on a NEW spring because it can possibly 'set' on you and cause you to have insufficient spring strength to push your last round onto the carrier in a timely manner.

If its an older spring that has been in the rifle awhile, its probably already 'set' and you can trim that one down to about 2" longer than the mag tube. This might be enough to allow you enough room to put 10 .357 length rounds in the mag tube.

I know that some folks will tell you that the way new springs are made and tempered, you get little, if any, 'set' on them. But the last two NEW springs that I have used 'set' approx 1 - 1.5" shorter. But, I must also say that even when they 'set', they were still great springs and always functioned perfect.

P.S. - the Marlin is a great rifle and can be set up to run faster than we can pull the trigger. Deuce Stevens holds the Cowboy speed rifle record using a Marlin.

..........Widder

I considered that, as a matter of fact, since I purchased this new last spring (no pun intended). Even though it was manufactured in 2008, it had set on the dealer's rack with an uncompressed spring all that time. Even though I have put at least a couple hundred rounds through it, and I keep 6 "action proving dummies" in the magazine, I know that the spring hasn't "settled in" yet. So, I only took a couple of inches off. 10 LeverEvolutions now fit, albeit very snugly, in the magazine and feed and eject properly. I'm going to leave it at that for now and see if, over time, it settles in any more.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

Hawknose.

Archived