SASS Wire Forum

mailing rifle via USPS?

Flinthills Dawg

Howdy folks,

I need to send my 73 back to the gunsmith for repairs, is there anything special I need to know about when I go to the post office to send it? Does USPS want it packaged specially?

Thanks

DAWG

PS I went to USPS web site and couldnt locate the info I was looking for

It is perfectly legal to send a longgun directly to a licensed gunsmith, or the manufacturer for repairs. It is against postal regulatins to mark a box carrying a firearm with the words "gun," "firearm" or anything similar. If you are asked by the nice postal worker what is in your box, say sports equipment. You are telling the truth, and the postal worker doesn't need to know anyway. A lot of them will tell you you can't send guns by USPS. They are wrong. You can mail long guns to a licensed FFL (most gunsmiths are) or a firearms manufacturer. Don't send ammunition in the same box.

It is perfectly legal to send a longgun directly to a licensed gunsmith, or the manufacturer for repairs. It is against postal regulatins to mark a box carrying a firearm with the words "gun," "firearm" or anything similar. If you are asked by the nice postal worker what is in your box, say sports equipment. You are telling the truth, and the postal worker doesn't need to know anyway. A lot of them will tell you you can't send guns by UPS. They are wrong. You can mail long guns to a licensed FFL (most gunsmiths are) or a firearms manufacturer. Don't send ammunition in the same box.

WRONG........You MUST id the pkg as a firearm :rolleyes:

Make sure the FFL will rec. from a non-FFL. Some won't.

USPS, UPS, & FedX all have a data base of addresses that shows most FFL's.

Take pictures of the rifle before you ship incase it is damaged ;)

It's no big deal.......

Respectfully,

LG

I sent my 73 to a gunsmith, wrapped all up really good in the box with a outer box, addressed it to who it was going to, took it in, they weighed it and I paid the postage and walked out, now they must of knew it was a rifle, they ask and I told them the truth and what I was doing and then we got to talking about cowboy shooting. No problems with shipping a rifle or shotgun thru USPS, and if they say no, they are wrong.

All for now JD Trampas

WRONG........You MUST id the pkg as a firearm :rolleyes:

Make sure the FFL will rec. from a non-FFL. Some won't.

USPS, UPS, & FedX all have a data base of addresses that shows most FFL's.

Take pictures of the rifle before you ship incase it is damaged ;)

It's no big deal.......

Respectfully,

LG

WRONG. You DO NOT mark the package. Instead of taking mine or anyone else's word for it, visit the ATF web site that tells you what you can and cannot do.

Below is a quote from the web site:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Howdy folks,

I need to send my 73 back to the gunsmith for repairs, is there anything special I need to know about when I go to the post office to send it? Does USPS want it packaged specially?

Thanks

DAWG

PS I went to USPS web site and couldnt locate the info I was looking for

I suggest you contact your local postmaster to coordinate ahead of time. Many Postal employees are unaware of the regulations regarding firearms shipping and refuse to allow any gun to be shipped. They need to be politely referred to their own regulations which permit long guns to be shipped to FFL holders from non FFL holders.

WRONG. You DO NOT mark the package. Instead of taking mine or anyone else's word for it, visit the ATF web site that tells you what you can and cannot do.

Below is a quote from the web site:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Thank you Buck. I knew I was right.

If you would like to see for yourself go to Postal service

At the bottom of the page look for "forms and publications"

Go to "publication 52"

Go to section "43"

pertinant data is found in subsections 431-436

Regards

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

BTW Buck D Law is correct, you do not mark the package as to contents.

If you do ID the package as a firearm or if the postal worker correctly guesses it is a gun, the postal worker has the right to ask you to open the box to prove it is unloaded. I am not aware of any regulation that says you have to id the contents of the box when you place it in the mail. I will stand corrected if somebody points out the regulation. You certainly are not allowed to mark the box as containing a gun. Here is a direct quote from the USPS publication 52 "No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms. Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1–8."

OK-POR choice of words on my part. I did NOT mean you are to lable the pkg as a "FIREARM". You are not allowed to do so.

I meant you ARE to tell the folks behind the counter that it IS a firearm.

Respectfully,

LG

Agree with the Reb, Wrong. You don't have to tell them anything.

They will ask "is there anything liquid, perishable,..." etc. You say "no," pay for postage and insurance (tracking) and ship it on its merry way...

OK, 25 years Postal here with most of them on the Window. Please don't put gun or firearm on the package. Joe's gun store can be "Joes". The question is "Is there anything liquid, fragile, or perishable or potentially hazardous in the box". The answer is "no". I package in a platic gun case wrapped in a cardboard box, or a good box with packing. Priority mail with insurance at a minumum. If it's expensive (I've had $50,000 double guns come through and a lot of Tom Selleck's movie guns). Registered is the next step up.. Has to be wrapped in paper with paper tape so each seam can be date stamped. Costs about $12 extra, but it has to be signed for every time it changes hands and will be locked in a vault when in a building. Any questions from anyone, message me. I"ll get back to you. Standing offer for Postal questions.

Hey Dawg, good to see you the other day!!

Last year I sent my 73 to Pioneer Gun Works for an action job. I took it to the Post Office in a plastic gun case with the latches wrapped all the way around the case with tape. She was nodding her head "Yes" when she asked if the gun was disassembled. I nodded. It cost about $42, and he had it in less than 24 hours. No problems. We addressed it to Joe Alves, not Pioneer Gun.

For those of you who would lie about shipping a firearm, or don't think it's necessary to notify the carrier, scroll down on this link, and see whar "Quinn" was convicted of. http://www.ledgernews.com/news/503-march-17-2010/1722-three-canton-residents-sentenced-in-federal-gun-trafficking-case

For those of you who would lie about shipping a firearm, or don't think it's necessary to notify the carrier, scroll down on this link, and see whar "Quinn" was convicted of. http://www.ledgernews.com/news/503-march-17-2010/1722-three-canton-residents-sentenced-in-federal-gun-trafficking-case

Bad example, and not even related to the thread.

Mailing a long gun, (even undeclaired), is NOT illegal. Trafficking in guns IS ILLEGAL. Big Difference !!!!

Bad example, and not even related to the thread.

Mailing a long gun, (even undeclaired), is NOT illegal. Trafficking in guns IS ILLEGAL. Big Difference !!!!

Not a bad example at all, read what "Quinn" was convicted of. "and to cause firearms to be shipped without notifying the contract carrier".

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.[/size][/font]

[/color][/font]

That's interesting, because I bought my revolvers on GunBroker & they were sent to my local FFL via Priority Mail. He commented on it & said "hmmm they will get in deep trouble doing that".

Not a bad example at all, read what "Quinn" was convicted of. "and to cause firearms to be shipped without notifying the contract carrier".

A "contract carrier" is UPS, FedEx or similar company, not the USPS.

Howdy,

Now that all thet thar leegal stuff is settled, I have had a beautiful rifle stock

snapped in two by careless handling. It was replaced with a dead straight stock

without a single bit of figure. (Mr Woo, what do you think?)

So now I undo a couple screws and carefully wrap the stock and the barreled action

then tape em together with my name and address on each piece.

Dont fergit to put the screws back where they belong.

I had one pard ship me a lever rifle with the barreled action goin corner to corner

It was a big cube shaped box with radio control pitchers on it.

I let my ffl dealer keep it, he thought it was terrific and wanted to ship out a rifle in it.

Best

CR

ok I went to the post office and asked. I was told to put it in a plain box taped well, and that they prefer the firing mechanism disabled. So it seems pretty straight forward.

Thats pure BS about disabling the firing mechinism or however the heck you spell it. Another person working behind the counter that don't know the first thing about shipping a gun.

A handgun MAY (legally) be shipped from one FFL to another FFL in any state using the U.S.Postal Service. I use a priority mail flat rate box of the size to fit the gun(s) I am shipping. DO NOT mark on the package anything stating there is a firearm inside. DO NOT include the work gun, firearm, shooting, etc in the address. If you are shipping to Jims Guns and Supply, simply address the package to Jims Supply. This is stated in the postal regulations, and has been quoted in the above posts.

A handgun MAY NOT (legally) be shipped from a private party to either another private party or an FFL or a gunsmith, using the U.S. Postal Service

A private party must use FedEx, UPS, or any other common carrier and will be forced by the carrier to ship overnight so the carrier's employees don't steal the guns.

Long Guns are another story. A private party may ship a long gun to an FFL in any state. A private party may not ship a long gun to another private party in any state. A private party may use either the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, or UPS ground services that are cheaper than overnight or priority. If you want to spend the extra $$ by all means ship overnight or priority.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, 25 years Postal here with most of them on the Window. Please don't put gun or firearm on the package. Joe's gun store can be "Joes". The question is "Is there anything liquid, fragile, or perishable or potentially hazardous in the box". The answer is "no". I package in a platic gun case wrapped in a cardboard box, or a good box with packing. Priority mail with insurance at a minumum. If it's expensive (I've had $50,000 double guns come through and a lot of Tom Selleck's movie guns). Registered is the next step up.. Has to be wrapped in paper with paper tape so each seam can be date stamped. Costs about $12 extra, but it has to be signed for every time it changes hands and will be locked in a vault when in a building. Any questions from anyone, message me. I"ll get back to you. Standing offer for Postal questions.

Harry, has it always been that a non-FFL canNOT ship a pistol to an FFL in another state by USPS? Reason I ask is back about 2003 or 4 I sold an RV to a pard in another state. He was paying shipping and told me to use USPS so I boxed it up and took it in to the counter at the local PO. Lady asked me what was in the box so I told her it was a pistol. She got that deer in the headlights look and went got the old veteran guy. He didn't have a problem with it. Got out a bound book and logged it in after taking my fax copy of the FFL. Took my money and 2 days later it arrived at its destination.

So I'm asking is this a recent change or did the old guy who I know has worked there about 40 years drop the ball?

Harry, has it always been that a non-FFL canNOT ship a pistol to an FFL in another state by USPS? Reason I ask is back about 2003 or 4 I sold an RV to a pard in another state. He was paying shipping and told me to use USPS so I boxed it up and took it in to the counter at the local PO. Lady asked me what was in the box so I told her it was a pistol. She got that deer in the headlights look and went got the old veteran guy. He didn't have a problem with it. Got out a bound book and logged it in after taking my fax copy of the FFL. Took my money and 2 days later it arrived at its destination.

So I'm asking is this a recent change or did the old guy who I know has worked there about 40 years drop the ball?

LD,

I've been an FFL for 20 years now. It has always been against the rules for a non licensee to send a handgun USPS. Since 02-03 the format of the USPS Publication #52 has changed but it still the same info. Back then it showed a flow chart as to what could ship and how. If you weren't familiar with it it could be confusing. That may have been the deal with your guy.

OK guys, I've read this post and see a lot of conflicting opinions. I would like to send a rifle to an out of state individual via USPS, (WV to Wisconsin), can I ship it direct to the non FFL person, or does it have to go through an FFL dealer according to the USPS ?? I guess the ATF rules will get involved since it will cross state line also ? Mink............

OK guys, I've read this post and see a lot of conflicting opinions. I would like to send a rifle to an out of state individual via USPS, (WV to Wisconsin), can I ship it direct to the non FFL person, or does it have to go through an FFL dealer according to the USPS ?? I guess the ATF rules will get involved since it will cross state line also ? Mink............

The answer to your question is that it has to go to an FFL holder, but please look up the regs on the USPS website because there is so much bad info in this thread that it is hharmful.

Quick answer, NO! Unless it is so old the BATF doesn't govern it, you MUST ship to an FFL in whatever other state you ship to. The exception would be a long gun that qualifies as a C&R gun that can be shipped to a C&R holder vs a full blown FFL.

Thanks for the reply Mack and Outlaw, I will check with the USPS and see what they say. I was sure that I would have to go through an FFL at least on the receiving end, don't know about on my end.. Someone posted that an individual can ship a long gun in the same state without using an FFL, does that sound right ? As you said, probably a lot of misinformation posted..??

Thanks again, Mink........

Here it is once again directly from the BATF web site. This is not my opinion. I was not told this by my third cousin's brother-in-law or by a someone who stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It is straight from THE horse's mouth. You CAN ship a rifle via the USPS from one state to another, but you MUST ship it to an FFL holder who can then transfer it to the new owner (assuming the new owner can legally own the gun.)

Archived