SASS Wire Forum

Thinking about a Henry 22lr Golden Boy

Judge Roy Stone

Been shooting up alot of ammo, thinking about getting the Henry Golden Boy 22Lr just to be getting some practice in without shooting up all my 38 cal, anybody have good or bad to say about the henry or recommend another.

Been shooting up alot of ammo, thinking about getting the Henry Golden Boy 22Lr just to be getting some practice in without shooting up all my 38 cal, anybody have good or bad to say about the henry or recommend another.

Judge, there isn't such a thing as a bad Henry. Mr Imperito stands behind every gun he sells. I have had several, and have a H001T (Frontier)right now. The H001T has the oct barrel, and is considerably less expensive than the GB. I also like the stock angle of the H001T better than the GB. MHO

Al

Can't say enough good things bout a Henry. My dad bought my oldest a Henry 22 when he was a buckaroo. The one he bought had the John Wayne big loop lever. I called Henry to order a standard loop and they would not take any money from me. Just told me to mail them the loop lever back when the standard one came in the mail and I got it put on. outstanding customer service.

My kids have a Henry .22, works great. Quite a bit smoother action than my Marlin 39, and that is saying something. They needed a shorter stock and I hated to cut the original so I e-mailed Mr. Imperato at Henry and he sent me a factory second for free that had a ding on the end that I was going to cut off anyway, he even paid the shipping. Can't get any better than that. We have put a couple thousand rounds through it so far with any problems. If you need a nice little .22 lever you can't go wrong with the Henry.

I had one of the H001T models that I used in a couple of winter indoor CAS matches at the Jefferson PA club. Several other shooters also used it. It began binding up after 3-400 rounds. I took the stock and receiver cover off and doused it with brake cleaner, then oiled it. Worked better, with still some binding. I sold it to a pard who understood what I had done and then bought a used Marlin.

I could have sent it back to Brooklyn, but ran out of patience with it.

The rest of the folks that I know who use them have not had any problems like mine. However, they must be fixed by the manufacturer as they are built to a price and not customer repairable.

Judge

I have two Henry's: One for beating up and practicing with and the other is a large loop that rarely sees the light of day.

I use the beater Henry as much as I can. It usually does not like the real cheap bulk ammo I buy from Wally World in the 550 box. (Although I put some thought it this last week with no hiccups).

But it does like the $1.97 boxes and that's still 5 times cheaper than what I can reload for.

I have a Ruger Single Six that I want to get a mate for to fill out my El Cheapo practice guns.

You will not regret the purchase. They are great guns!

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I had one of the H001T models that I used in a couple of winter indoor CAS matches at the Jefferson PA club. Several other shooters also used it. It began binding up after 3-400 rounds. I took the stock and receiver cover off and doused it with brake cleaner, then oiled it. Worked better, with still some binding. I sold it to a pard who understood what I had done and then bought a used Marlin.

I could have sent it back to Brooklyn, but ran out of patience with it.

The rest of the folks that I know who use them have not had any problems like mine. However, they must be fixed by the manufacturer as they are built to a price and not customer repairable.

CK

Actually, had you contacted Henry, they would have offered suggestions for repair. The actions are amazingly simple and easy to work on as they ARE customer repairable. Much more so than the Marlin, Remmies, etc. Mine has been apart a couple times for cleaning and inspection.

Al

Funny you should ask. I just shot a friend's of mine for the first time Saturday and I was really impressed with it.The action is pretty darn slick and smooth and a nice accurate rifle he had.Since my wife shot it,all I hear is how much she wants one now.Looks like I'll be making a trip to the gun store myself.It seems to be a big seller at the gunshop that I go to.I have an older 39A Golden Marlin 22 and the Henery is a lot smoother.

I really like my Golden Boy. It shoots great and has a great trigger!

But before you buy, check out the less expensive model as mentioned above, just to be sure.

If you want to use it for inexpensive practice, make sure the length of pull is the same as your regular rifle - get it as close to possible. If your regular rifle is short stroked, realize that the 22 will have a regular, longer stroke and that somewhat hinders practice. But it can still help with the basics of mounting, first shot, etc.

++1 on the Henry Golden Boy.

Have had a few of them. Everyone has shot great and was a tack driver. Don't know why I kept

selling them. Only to turn around and go buy another.

Won't do that again. I am keeping this one.

Also bought one for my Grandson when he was born. He is about to turn one. So will be awhile

before he is ready for it. But it's his when he is ready.

And looks like I have another Grandbaby on the way. :rolleyes: And will go buy another for them when they are born also.

Not that they are some great collectable gun.

But I just like them. They shoot GREAT. The company stands behind them and has great customer service from everything

I hear. As I have never needed to use it to this point.

Also getting there stock engraved with there names and such on them.

My oldest Dauther is getting married in a month to a man that has a 9 year old boy.

After they are married I am sure thinking that I will buy him one also.

Don't want him to feel left out. So think it might be good to get him one and try and make sure

he feels like part of the family.

Will start them off shooting a smaller single shot. But will have the Golden Boy waitting for them

when they are old enough for it.

What everyone else has said, I got the least expensive Henry (about $250.), for our annual youth day at the range a few years back and it ran nearly 2000 rounds without a problem. We usually have close to 400 kids and that rifle didn't get a break all day. It had lead covering the whole end of the barrel at the end of the day.....I am still amazed...Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin !!

Mink..........

I got one last year and use it for practice in place of a marlin. Cheap way to shoot.

U will enjoy

CCBA :FlagAm:

Well I went out and bought the Henry Golden Boy 22 LR , you guys didn't steer me wrong, went out to the gun club today and shot about 150 rounds wonderful rifle, it will be a keeper for sure.

Archived