SASS Wire Forum

Guns as investments

Just pondering the S&P devaluation, the sell-off in stocks, the mindless "Woe is me?" reaction in the financial community....

Got me wondering about what has happened (if anything) to the value of the irons in my safe...

Gone down, because fewer folks can afford to buy?

Gone up, because more folks are worried about bad things happening?

Stayed the same - because all the forces and fears kind of equalize?

What do you figure happened to the value of your guns this week?

LL

Depends on what you've got, and if you can find the guy who's looking for what you've got.

I just did a safe clean-out last month and sold 'em at auction. Pistols sold well, rifles did OK, shotguns were flat. On the whole I made a profit, but not as much as I would have liked. Did make the Visa bill go away though.

One thing I have noticed - it's easier to sell five cheap guns than one expensive one.

There are many variables in determining the price of an object but, as a general rule, in following some auctions over the past couple of years, it appears that the resale value of firearms has gone down. The only exceptions I have seen are one-of-a-kind items, such as Roy Rogers personal guns, which don't come up very often and, as there is no comparable valuation, the absolute price is very high. As a rule of thumb, at a 10% rate of return, the value of an item will double in seven years. So, a Colt SAA second generation revolver purchased for $125 30 years ago would have to be worth around $2,000 to meet that ROR. I have seen second generation Colt's go for less than that recently. As Woodrow said, it's easier to see a profit from selling cheaper firearms, which some friends of mine are discovering.

To most people, guns are considered luxury items purchased with disposable income. In the current ecomomic environment, those who still have disposable income are reluctant to turn it loose. Yep, I expect to see some super deals on guns in the near future.

Because of some of the modifications I've made to personalize my guns they won't be worth as much as if they were stock, but some that I bought has increased significantly. A few are worth next to nothing, but most have gained value over the years.

Don't plan on sellin' any of 'em - they will be handed down. The next generation can deal with it if they so desire - if they don't need to use them to fight off a tyrannical government or enemy of the state :wacko: .

GG ~ :FlagAm:

LL

Since I am not buying or selling nothing has happened to their value.

However I disagree with B.B.s assetment that guns are a luxury items. I wonder how many folks in London or those that where beaten by a black mob at the fair in WI consider guns luxury items for the rich?

Yup. I always tell my wife "It's an investment, Honey."

I've never made a dime on one. :lol:

Since I am not buying or selling nothing has happened to their value.

However I disagree with B.B.s assetment that guns are a luxury items. I wonder how many folks in London or those that where beaten by a black mob at the fair in WI consider guns luxury items for the rich?

Luxury is probably the wrong word.

Luxury is probably the wrong word.

For some - 'requirement' is a proper word ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

as a law-abiding citizen of the United States of America I feel it's one's duty to own a firearm.

I do have guns as investments. They are invested in keeping me and my family safe. I don't buy safe queens or decorations. Or guns just to sell later

Guns are a good investment but if things continue to go down hill they will be worth more in just keeping you alive and fed than any stock or dollar will. Investment or not.. they are my play toys... and I intend to vest heavily in play for the remaining years of my life since it seems to be the one thing I am good at... play.. and humor.. lol

Just pondering the S&P devaluation, the sell-off in stocks, the mindless "Woe is me?" reaction in the financial community....

Got me wondering about what has happened (if anything) to the value of the irons in my safe...

Gone down, because fewer folks can afford to buy?

Gone up, because more folks are worried about bad things happening?

Stayed the same - because all the forces and fears kind of equalize?

LL

All things being equal, I'd guess that if fewer people in society have money, the value of most things would go down. Things considered a LOT more valuable in that depressed economy may go up, but recreational guns are not likely to be seen as critical during those times.

Likely, they go down in price during the recession.

But,

Held until the economy is strong again, they should come back to a reasonable value.

To me firearms have gone up in value. The M1A I bought in the 70s when Springfield was first making them, and I drove to Geneseo to personally pick it up, cost 295.00, now sell for 1700.00+ range (original made with top grade GI parts except the receiver). My Rossi cost 139.00. My Phyton service revolver cost me 147.00. My 2 98K Mausers were 29.00 and 34.00, Enfield 24.00, Remington 1911, 100.00. M1 Carbine bought off another police officer 50.00.

The lowly Ruger .22 3 screw were 60.00, now sell for over 300.00.

The buying and selling of newly guns, here and on Gunbroker don't reflect what they will bring in another 10 years or so. Yes, they will go up, especially as newer models also rise.

I can follow the trail of a certain firearm, from when it came into my possession, when I sold it, and the person that bought it, sold it. example-- I tried to sell a Mauser Broomhandle on the wire for 700.00, no takers, sold it on GunBroker for 1400.00. The person that bought it on GunBroker lives in Jacksonville, and we became friends. He sold the same gun on GunBroker several weeks ago, needed money badly, and received 1700.00 for it. So, are guns good investments? Yes, besides they are also good protection. My opinion, MT

My guns are "toys" to play with that I've bought with income that I can afford to do what I want with for FUN.

If I died tomorrow they would go to a good freind of mine who's helped me a lot. He's disabled with bad lungs, on oxygen 24/7 and with very limited income. I've told him that if he needs cash from the guns to take them to a local gun shop that we've both done good business with. Have them sell on consignment. After their cut he'd realize about half of what I paid for them. They are all fun "shooter" guns . . not "collectable stuff". I have some that I bought long ago that sound "cheap" in dollar terms compared to what the same guns are selling for now. But with inflation figured in they have not gained in value.

Archived