SASS Wire Forum

Photo's From Two Great Shoots In Canada

Got back yesterday (sunday) morning from 10 days in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada. Went there to shoot the CAS Canadian Championship and the SASS Canadian Championship. Had a truely great time, shot two great matches and even got to see Cowboys and Alians with 75 friends at a local theater.

If you have some time here's a couple links to some picks

First rest stop in Canada

IMG_3623-600x400.jpg

I think they look the best as a fast slide show

Thanks for posting! Some fine pictures and a reminder I need to head out to Western Canada!

It was well worth the trip from Oregon. Two great matches only a few days apart and I got to see my first wild wolf on the way home:

http://crotchetyoldgrouch.smugmug.com/CAS/SASS-2011-Canadian/i-4MJ8QWj/1/X2/IMG4236-X2.jpg

Next year there is going to be a similar set up on Vancouver Island. There will be a 3 day match in Victoria then, a couple days later, another one in Courtenay. Looking forward to it. Hope you can make the trip.

Good ta hear ya made it back in one piece,,,, must be because you drove most of da way ...

That is a exilent photo of a young wolf ... bout half grown ....

See ya and TR next year .....

Jabez Cowboy

Good ta hear ya made it back in one piece,,,, must be because you drove most of da way ...

That is a exilent photo of a young wolf ... bout half grown ....

See ya and TR next year .....

Jabez Cowboy

Ya we figured it was probably a yearling, seemed to be on it's own but no telling how many were near by.

Got home about 0130. It's a 16hr drive but we did some sightseeing and lallygagin on the way.

Thanks again for the hospitality see ya next year. COG

The possion of the tail tells the story ,,,,,,,,,, note the tail curled forward tightly between the legs and the head-up alert stance ,,, yes you can count on there being other wolves close-by ...

Next time Ya stop by fer a visit ,,,,,, Stay longer ...

We never even got to shoot gophers ...

Jabez Cowboy

Fun shooting with you as always COG. Hope to see you at the North Western Regional. Nice pictorial. Saw a Grizzly on my way home, about 1000 yards from the toll booth at Jasper, joggers just down the road, bear fast food.

COG

That was a passle of pictures. Did you get a chance to shoot?

Siesta

Oh ya I got to shoot, and did pretty well in the side and main matches. I was on a couple of good posses that did'nt mind covering for me while I took photos. Most of the pic's were taken on two stages that gave a realy good view of the shooter so I only lallygaged alittle.

Looks like you crossed paths with my folks...Mad Trapper of Rat River and Wanderin' Rose. They were there with Sam Ootie and Miss Barah Lee Misditt. They had a great time and can't say enough about the hospitality they were shown.

...Next year there is going to be a similar set up on Vancouver Island. There will be a 3 day match in Victoria then, a couple days later, another one in Courtenay. Looking forward to it. Hope you can make the trip.

Wow!

That would be a dream trip!

:wub: your photos!

Regards,

Allie

Nice job on the Pics COG! Bring your pet wolf the Albany annual, I am looking forward to seeing it!

Ringer

Guest diablo slim shootist

I was surprised to see so many people shooting Winchester 97's

Only the black powder guys seem to shoot the SXS. :unsure:

wonderful pictures by the way -would love to shoot in the

Northern territories! ;)

I was surprised to see so many people shooting Winchester 97's

Only the black powder guys seem to shoot the SXS. :unsure:

wonderful pictures by the way -would love to shoot in the

Northern territories! ;)

Slim, 97's seem to be cheap, plentiful and popular in Canada. But there was a far number of SxS shooters and a couple 87's . In fact the speed shotgun (87/97) event for the SASS Championship was won with a 87 and that match winner used a SxS

Lead Ringer

Posted Today, 10:22 AM

Nice job on the Pics COG! Bring your pet wolf the Albany annual, I am looking forward to seeing it!

Ringer

Had ta get rid of em. TR kept feeding him junk food till he throw up in the back of the van. Skinned out nice though.

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

Wow!

That would be a dream trip!

Regards,

Allie

Yes it would , Just think shooting, sight seeing and shopping in the London of the west. Then going a hour north and shooting some more. And it's not that hard to get your guns into (and back out of) Canada. Talk to the Mad Trapper and Wanderin' Rose, they took the class to get their Canadian Firearms lic. while at Rocky Mnt. House.

Calgary Kate, SASS #33287

Posted Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Looks like you crossed paths with my folks...Mad Trapper of Rat River and Wanderin' Rose. They were there with Sam Ootie and Miss Barah Lee Misditt. They had a great time and can't say enough about the hospitality they were shown.

Kate you and the hubby should have gone too. Then I could have personaly thanked you for all the support you have given our deployed troops, including my son during his deployments. I hope your dad liked the pic's, he's a good fiddler and nice guy. Make sure your folks gets their PAL's then y'all can join Allie Mo(no e) on her dream trip next year.

Thanks COG for showcasing our little shoot in the bush so well. We enjoyed having both you and TR, both of you are excellent embasadors to your nation.

Our banack fire will have a spot for you anytime......and anybody else who would like to join us at next years Canadian Championships(always on the first weekend in August).

Shoot Director Santa Maria & One Eye Reb

Your folks were camped about 50 yds from me. Nice folks, glad they came and had a good time :)

COG, great pics. I don’t want to hijack your thread but I would love to make a RV trip to Canada and shoot some CAS while there. So, I was wondering how difficult is it to take guns and ammo into Canada for a shoot. My wife has folks in Edmonton but I have never been there and she hasn’t been there since she was a kid.

COG, great pics. I don’t want to hijack your thread but I would love to make a RV trip to Canada and shoot some CAS while there. So, I was wondering how difficult is it to take guns and ammo into Canada for a shoot. My wife has folks in Edmonton but I have never been there and she hasn’t been there since she was a kid.

Bois D

Taking firearms into Canada is not that hard, especially long guns. For them all you need to do is down load a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration form CAFC 909, fill it out, do not sigh it, and make 3 copies. If you need more room down load the continuation sheet CAFC 910. You sign the forms when you get to the border and pay a fee of $25 Canadian dollars, they take credit cards. That form is good for 60 or 90 days and that’s all you need for long guns.

Handguns are considered Restricted arms and take a little more paper work. They will be listed on the above forms but you also need an Authorization to Transport Restricted Arms from the chief firearms officer of the province you will be in. The basic requirement to get one is you must have a letter from the match you intend to shoot saying you are signed up for it. You will have to tell what border crossings you will be using and the dates you will be crossing. You also have to say where you will be staying. The Chief Firearms Officer of BC has a form they will email you ,if asked, that you fill out and FAX or mail in with the required info, I imagine the CFO of the other provinces have something similar. Each time I’ve done this I received the Temp Authorization to Transport via email about a week later. If you want to shoot at more than one match you will need an ATT for each one.

Here’s a link to the RCMP that has more info;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

If you plan on attending a couple matches a year or more it might be worth the effort to get a Canadian Possession and Acquisition license, register the guns you plan on using in Canada and the get a long term ATT. The license will cost you $ 80 for 5 years, but the renewal is free, and you will have to be a member of a gun club in Canada, that cost me $65 annually. But once all this was done, my long term ATT from BC lets me travel through all of the western provinces and border crossings without prior approval or additional paper work.

That’s the basic info but I’m sure I’ve left some out. The best thing to do if you have questions is to call the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program.

Here’s a link to their contact info;

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/cont/index-eng.htm

Hope this helps COG

Archived