SASS Wire Forum

T.A.R.D.I.S.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life
T.A.R.D.I.S. returning soon

Dang... thought I was thru gettin' them... tardis slips... back in high school.

ts

The TARDIS[nb 1][1] (i/ˈtɑːdɪs/; Time and Relative Dimension in Space)[nb 2] is a fictional time machine and spacecraft in the British science fiction television programme (and associated media franchise) Doctor Who.

A TARDIS is a product of the advanced technology of the Time Lords, an extraterrestrial civilization to which the program's central character, the Doctor, belongs. A properly maintained and piloted TARDIS can transport its occupants to any point in time and space. The interior of a TARDIS is much larger than its exterior (dimensionally transcendental), and it can blend in with its surroundings through the ship's "chameleon circuit".

In the series, the Doctor pilots an unreliable, obsolete Type 40 TARDIS. Its chameleon circuit is faulty, leaving it locked in the shape of a 1960s-style London police box after a visit to London in 1963.[2] The Doctor's TARDIS was for most of the franchise's history said to have been stolen from the Time Lords' home planet, Gallifrey, where it was old, decommissioned and derelict (and, in fact, in a museum).[3] The TARDIS herself later revealed in "The Doctor's Wife" (during a brief period in which the vessel's consciousness inhabited a humanoid body and could talk directly to the Doctor) that, far from being stolen, she left of her own free will and actually considers herself to have "stolen" the Doctor. The unpredictability of the TARDIS's short-range guidance (short relative to the size of the Universe) has often been a plot point in the Doctor's travels; in "The Doctor's Wife", the TARDIS revealed that much of this "unpredictability" was actually intentional on her part in order to get the Doctor "where you needed to go" as opposed to where he "wanted to go".

Although "TARDIS" is a type of craft, rather than a specific one, the Doctor's TARDIS is usually referred to as "the" TARDIS or, in some of the earlier serials, just as "the ship", "the blue box", "the capsule" or even "the police box".[nb 3]

Doctor Who has become so much a part of British popular culture that not only has the shape of the police box become more immediately associated with the TARDIS than with its real-world inspiration, the word "TARDIS" has been used to describe anything that seems to be bigger on the inside than on the outside.[4] The name TARDIS is a registered trademark of the British Broadcasting Corporation.[5]

Archived