SASS Wire Forum

Any idea what a house keeper costs?

PaulH

I have to start looking for a housekeeper to clean a 2 bedroom, 2 bath house. It's average size, and I figure they'll need to clean once every 2 weeks so it would be 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, living room and dining room. Initially the place will need a really good cleaning to start, but I figure the 2 week maintanence won't be too bad.

Any idea how much someone would charge for something like that? I'm fairly clueless about stuff like that in this day and age.

Thanks,

Ohio Paul

Depends on wats "xtras" ya want------------SMIRK-- Still cant do freekin smilies - MAD FACE

But seriously last i had waz bout the same size & i give a young girl (18+) $40 a pop -- + $200 tip - insert tounge out here---

The really important thing is can you find one you can trust! We had a sweet lady once but she brought her druggy daughter with her once who of course told druggy boyfriend and we had a robbery while we were gone.

Bonded & insured companies are gonna cost more than your high school girl trying to make some money. That said we pay a lady 35 bucks for cleaning ours and it takes her 3hrs to do the basics....no rigorous extras like vacuuming under beds. Also, it is understood that she not open closets.

I understand that the same thing in Plano, TX (DFW metromess) would cost at least a hundred or more.

I know a guy that has been married and divorced 3 times. He said all his wives were good housekeepers. With each divorce, they kept the house. I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. My house keeper makes a lot more than I do. If we ever got divorced she would keep more than the house.

I know a guy that has been married and divorced 3 times. He said all his wives were good housekeepers. With each divorce, they kept the house. I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. My house keeper makes a lot more than I do. If we ever got divorced she would keep more than the house.

It's easier to just find a woman you don't like every five years and buy her a house.

GUDDUN-

I'm in the zack same situation!

You might wind up having to pay into her Social Security account too, since you are now an employer. This happened to me many years ago when my wife decided to work outside the home and hire a housekeeper to come in once a week. We became "employers" in the fullest sense of the word. These days you might want to make sure that whomever you choose is not an illegal alien. Lots of pitfalls to avoid in this kind of situation. Is the person bonded against theft?

Better check with the laws in your state so you don't experience any surprises.

+1 :lol: :lol:

thinkin the same thing-- costs a FIRSTBORN?? :D

Round here, that'd run ya 'bout $40-50 per visit. You'd be providing the vacuum cleaner, mops, cleaning solutions, etc.

Howdy Pards,

Thanks for all the replies, some of them were even useful. :P

The concerns about getting someone trustworthy are well noted. I know the person I want to hire and it's a good match for the situation, I even trust them with a key. I just didn't know the going rate. So it looks like something between $50-100 would be fair. To tell the truth, I'll toss in a bit more for the the initial cleaning, it's going to be earned.

We use Merry Maids.

First cleaning was three ladies doing the entire house for $235.00.

We now pay $85.00 a week. Two ladies do the entire house with a deeper cleaning on different areas rotating each week.

Bonded and insured. We have had one item broken which was immediately reported to us and documented. No other issues.

We use Merry Maids.

We now pay $85.00 a week. Two ladies do the entire house with a deeper cleaning on different areas rotating each week.

Bonded and insured. We have had one item broken which was immediately reported to us and documented. No other issues.

Sounds like the safe way .... :)

We use Merry Maids.

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich has some tips about cleaning services.

Your milage may vary.

It's easier to just find a woman you don't like every five years and buy her a house.

I have a business friend that has been divorced 3 times that I know of. Standing around at a trade show one day he was lamenting his first ex-wife's habit of ragging on him at each family event they share. Then he went on to talk about what a good woman his current girl friend was. I told him that instead of getting married again he should just find a woman he didn't like and buy her a house. He didn't find it funny. Everyone else in the booth did. After he thought about it he began to chuckle.

You guys got me to thinking so I went looking at ads on Craigslist. I found a really good ad that included, in part,

If you don't like cleaning, and can't handle constructive feedback, or you're just doing it for now... then this is the wrong business.

Hey, I'm even a legal US resident and speak perfect english, so you won't be arrested for employing illegal aliens!

so my reply was:

Sorry, but your English is not quite perfect. "Believe it or not," "commitment," "English,"and "Out of sight" would get a better grade.

Now, if you are still reading this you really can handle constructive feedback.

(I did not nitpick the "U.S." since I do that myself most of the time.)

Then I went on to describe the possible job. :rolleyes:

I have to start looking for a housekeeper to clean a 2 bedroom, 2 bath house. It's average size, and I figure they'll need to clean once every 2 weeks so it would be 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen, living room and dining room. Initially the place will need a really good cleaning to start, but I figure the 2 week maintanence won't be too bad.

Any idea how much someone would charge for something like that? I'm fairly clueless about stuff like that in this day and age.

Thanks,

Ohio Paul

If ya pay more than $800 a year ya hafta report it on a 1099. If ya get an 'independent' contractor agreement with the person ya can avoid paying payroll taxes and such, otherwise ya gotta do the whole 11 yards...

Prices vary widely by location...

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Archived