SASS Wire Forum

For fellow wing nuts

Dang! My Bearcat's in the shop and my Sukhoi's hung up in Customs. :lol:

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Dang...

My wings got all melted up when I tooka test run too close to the Sun...

Signed,

Icarus Dickarus Doc, SASS# IM2BZ2P

(Hey Nads... shore wished I could attend them races... do love the aeroplanes...)

ts

The jets are kool, but for me it was Dreadnaught thundering by at 450mph, about 800' in front of us at perhaps 200' off the deck in a full 75 degree bank.:lol: :lol: :lol:

dreadnaught flyby

Now THAT was impressive!! :blink: :blink: (Took place at a private field, not at Reno! Photo is not of that particular pass!))

What about your Polikarpov? Don't You Too have one?

Traded it last month for a PT76 in cherry condition, a Dragunov and a case of Vodka.

I think it had a blowed head gasket anyway. ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xSA7x3xn8

Dusty -
Are you old enough to remember this? 1970 Mojave.
They would not let Clay Lacy [DC-7 Super Snoopy] compete in Reno, but gave him a shot in Mojave.
I love the announcers commentary on the start -
"Starting positions are according to qualifying times except for the DC-7, which will start last to avoid blowing the other planes off the runway."
The next year, he came back with his partner in crime, Allen Paulson, and the Super Lockheed Constellation [Red Baron]. But the other pilots protested, saying that competing against one 4 engine plane was bad enough, competing against 2, the turbulence would be overwhelming. Super Snoopy and Red Baron were removed from the field.
To top the 1970 race off, Clay Lacy finished 6th. Not too shabby.
Tull

This years air races are a month away, still time to get you a ticket to Reno

I've enjoyed them, but they are a little hard to watch when they crash. Last time I was there was a long time ago, and I watched two T-6s collide in mid-air. One of them landed okay; the other one crashed. I hate to see that.

Ask them to be safe, will you?

I have never been to an air race, but about 60 yrs ago, I went to an air show in Rogers Arkansas. There was a low pass (seemed that way anyway) by a B-36 that I remember to this day. I wish I could find one to show you.

Dusty -

They would not let Clay Lacy [DC-7 Super Snoopy] compete in Reno, but gave him a shot in Mojave.

"Starting positions are according to qualifying times except for the DC-7, which will start last to avoid blowing the other planes off the runway."

The next year, he came back with his partner in crime, Allen Paulson, and the Super Lockheed Constellation [Red Baron]. But the other pilots protested, saying that competing against one 4 engine plane was bad enough, competing against 2, the turbulence would be overwhelming. Super Snoopy and Red Baron were removed from the field.

Tull

Professor,

I never heard of this, what a cool video. It's cool to see that Miss America is still out there racing (piloted by neurosurgeon Brent Hisey) she'll be in Reno this year and Darrel Greenimeier is also still racing in the Sport class. The Fury in the video wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't "September Fury", also racing at Reno this year.

Best,

Dusty

I've enjoyed them, but they are a little hard to watch when they crash. Last time I was there was a long time ago, and I watched two T-6s collide in mid-air. One of them landed okay; the other one crashed. I hate to see that.

Ask them to be safe, will you?

Jen,

I was there, the T-6 mid air killed Ralph Twombly (a very nice guy). I have witness a number of crashes at Reno as it really is the worlds most dangerous sport. If you spend anytime in aviation you probably know friends that have "gone west" in an airplane incident. Also sad to lose them, but some comfort knowing they died doing something they love. Beats wasting away in a hospital bed anytime. Besides if you fly, every time you take off in lousy weather and climb above that first layer that breaks you out into a setting or rising sun. As you look around at the cloud deck below you and the purples and soft reds and oranges of the heavens you know that your always close to touching the face of God. Unfortunately only a few can understand that.

Dusty -

Glad I was able to add to a veteran pilots air race data base. In the right crowd, might be good for a couple of 'bar bets.'

I get a kick out of Super Snoopy "majestically cruising along" while a Mustang passes by on the under side of his port wing.

If I am not mistaken, in Reno in 71, the P-38 from this race, while warming his engines up in the pits, had a nose landing gear malfunction, and the nose ended up in the ground and the props tore up the tarmac. One rumor had the nose gear collapsing, the other rumor had the mechanic sitting in the pilots seat accidentally hitting the nose gear lever. Needless to say, they caught some major flack - but in their defense, it flew out of Reno 2 days later.

Tull

Jen,

I was there, the T-6 mid air killed Ralph Twombly (a very nice guy). I have witness a number of crashes at Reno as it really is the worlds most dangerous sport. If you spend anytime in aviation you probably know friends that have "gone west" in an airplane incident. Also sad to lose them, but some comfort knowing they died doing something they love. Beats wasting away in a hospital bed anytime. Besides if you fly, every time you take off in lousy weather and climb above that first layer that breaks you out into a setting or rising sun. As you look around at the cloud deck below you and the purples and soft reds and oranges of the heavens you know that your always close to touching the face of God. Unfortunately only a few can understand that.

Yes, Dusty. You sound like an aviator, too. John Gillespie Magee's beautiful thoughts and I go way back, since forever, "...to put out my hand, and touch the face of God." I do So Seriously Grok that: it's not just the altitude, it's the free-spirit act of soaring, a spiritual communion with the Cosmos and God... Other than care for my hubbie, it is the thing I do best, and it is also one of the things he has cared about the most.

And I'll go to the races again some day. Can't get away at this time. But I do hope they can be safe.

Dusty -

Tull

Professor, is that the same Allen Paulson that later went on to own Gulfstream Aerospace?

Yes, Dusty. You sound like an aviator, too. John Gillespie Magee's beautiful thoughts and I go way back, since forever, "...to put out my hand, and touch the face of God." I do So Seriously Grok that: it's not just the altitude, it's the free-spirit act of soaring, a spiritual communion with the Cosmos and God... Other than care for my hubbie, it is the thing I do best, and it is also one of the things he has cared about the most.

And I'll go to the races again some day. Can't get away at this time. But I do hope they can be safe.

I recall our local TV station signed off the air At Midnight yet!.. with a shot film of air force jets as a background to "High Flight" I spent most of my 12th year sick in bed and my folks put an older B&W ( they got the color set for the living room at that same time) TV in my room for company and sometimes I would set my alarm just to watch the sign off film and poem .

I think it was one of the reasons I became a pilot 4 years later :)

Professor, is that the same Allen Paulson that later went on to own Gulfstream Aerospace?

M M M -

Yes sir - that would be him.

Sadly he passed away in July 2000.

A hugely talented and interesting invdividual.

Tull

M M M -

Yes sir - that would be him.

Sadly he passed away in July 2000.

A hugely talented and interesting invdividual.

Tull

I know. I worked at Gulfstream back in the 80's.

Nothing gets the blood going like PISTONS at low altitude! That being said, I would like to see an Eagle doing a few laps at Reno ( and I suspect that there are a few F15 jocks who would enjoy a race just for them)......

See you down the trail......

Archived