SASS Wire Forum

Now I've gone and done it...

Grizzly Dave

Finished loading every piece of 38 spl brass fit to load that I own. Even the canulurred and nickel cases that I set aside for a lost brass match sometime.

Now I'm gonna have to empty some of 'em out so I have something to load again!

Got a match next Saturday and providing ammo for a new shooter, so that'll be a couple hundred empty cases.

An annual the weekend after that, should make for another 300 or so depending on how much I shoot at the side matches.

It's a never ending circle I'll tell ya what!

Grizz

This last batch I finished up was maybe 900 giving me a total of about 2300 rounds loaded and ready to go now. I try not to run such big batches as they get tiresome on the rock chucker, but I ran out of lead and they piled up before I got some in.

OK Grizz, tell me agian. I am getting ready to load some bullets for the Marlin today, so I can shoot Saturday. I got yer basic brass, basic primers installed, cases sized and trimmed. NOW WHAT?

It has been a while and I forgot what to do next. Anything? Or Nothing at all?

I usually bell the case mouth before priming, but whatever.

OK, lets see if I can put this in term you can understand....

Primers make them go 'pop'

Primer and Powder makes it go 'bang'

Primer and powder and Lead make the target go 'clang' at least some of the time.

Hint, the powder goes in after the primer is seated, but BEFORE the lead in crimped on the top. And please, only one lead bullet per case!

You got any pictures of that gun cart yet?

Primer and powder and Lead make the target go 'clang' at least some of the time.

Hint, the powder goes in after the primer is seated, but BEFORE the lead in crimped on the top. And please, only one lead bullet per case!

What gun cart?

Heheheh.......................

Told ya Grizz,

Ole Badger has it como-ed !!

I still do have a Dillon 550 or something like that. It's on a bench, but not put together. It's supposedly got .45 long colt dyes or something. I haven't had time to fool with it. It seems like a lot of work, but maybe some day.

Jen, with that 550 you can crank out a loaded round with each pull of the handle as I understand it.

For me with the Rock Chucker, it's three pulls of the handle plus a hand priming operation.

Grizzzzzzz

I really think you need to stop shooting so much

How do you expect me to beat you at CaC if you keep practicing???

Jen, with that 550 you can crank out a loaded round with each pull of the handle as I understand it.

For me with the Rock Chucker, it's three pulls of the handle plus a hand priming operation.

Kind of like a one-armed bandit in Vegas?

Griz....you are ambitious.Over the last winter I reloaded 3700 rounds of 38's and 450 rounds of 44-40.So far I've used up 120 44-40 and 1800 of the 38's.With any luck I'll have maybe 300-400 left when we get snowed in up here in Montana.Ohhh....I use a 550,so my reloading is a lot easier than yours.I commend your patience and intiative.

Charlie, I got way more time than money, and the more I reload the more I get to shoot, and we shoot year 'round in these parts. I try to do smaller batches so it doesn't seem to take as long before I get finished rounds, but they seem to stack up on me and before I know it I have a big batch again. Smaller batches also mean shorter sessions which don't hurt my shoulder as bad.

I enjoy it, gives me a feeling of accomplishing something related to shooting. That said I wouldn't mind doing it faster if/when I am ever in a position to get a progressive press. Then maybe I'll make time to build that muzzle loader rifle kit I've had under my workbench for years.

I need to start reloading shot shells, but the price savings isn't as much as for cartridges, and you don't shoot as many in a CAS match, so I haven't been in a hurry to get going. So far I have a Lee Load All, just need to scratch up the money for primers, powder, shot and wads. All together that makes getting started kinda spendy for me, I'd rather go shoot :D

Grizz

Y'all are making this a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be. Just take all your reloading components (brass, primers, lead and powder) and toss it in your tumbler (you do have a tumbler, right?). Turn the tumbler on and walk away for sever hours or days - don't make any difference - come back, turn your tumbler off and remove your loaded ammo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I believe that this reloading thingy is waaaay overrated. I mean, after all folks, you are only working with four components:

1. A brass cartridge

2. A primer

3. A powder charge

4. A lead bullet.

By simply eliminating any or all, save the brass cartridge, you can load your guns once, and shoot all day, without that annoying noisy bang and clang thingy. If you are a purist, you can add the lead bullet and your gun belt will have more pazzazzzh. The primer and the powder are not really necessary at all.

A side benefit is that this would eliminate the bickering between which is best, smokeless or black powder.

Y'all are making this a whole lot more complicated than it needs to be. Just take all your reloading components (brass, primers, lead and powder) and toss it in your tumbler (you do have a tumbler, right?). Turn the tumbler on and walk away for sever hours or days - don't make any difference - come back, turn your tumbler off and remove your loaded ammo! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You must have a different brand of tumbler than I!!!! What kind is it, I want one! :lol:

Loadin' shells is alot like washing clothes or paying bills 'pears to me. :angry: Ya no sooner get it done than it's gotta be done AGAIN!

JHC

Archived