SASS Wire Forum

what to look for in a set of grips

El Muerto Negro

Hey Guys

What makes a good pistol grip for a Duelist? I shoot Colts and feel the grip could be better for me .Today I tried a Pards who had his custom made they were thicker and just felt good.

I have heard the term Gunfighter grips on the wire but don't know what that means. I looked on the web and Evil Roy has grips for Rugers with a colt option on the way the description is that there not tapped

there flat on the side Etc. . So my Question is what do you look for before getting new grips what brands, woods ,anything relevant.

Thanks

El Muerto Negro

Just my 2 cents, but I look for grips that feel good in my hand. Same thing when people ask me what "home defense gun" they should buy. My response is always, "The one that feels good in your hand and that you're going to want to take to the range and shoot."

I put them Eagle Gunfighter grips on my Ruger Vaqueros, and for me, it wasn't good. A lot of people have them, and they're top quality, but *for me* they were too skinny. I like grips that are a little thicker.

My best advice is to go to your next match, find a bunch of pards with different grips, and ask to hold their pistols. Do it like you would if you were shootin' duelist, and see "which grips feel good in your hand and are gonna get you to want to shoot that pistol!"

Good luck Pard!

Guest jeweler jim

Some of what the others have said and how much do you want to spend...

There's something to be said for custom fitting/shaping. For me this is like feeding strawberries to pigs, but I'm from the "if I can't shoot well maybe I can look good" contingent. Have two sets of pistols with stag grips and one set is thicker for my hands and the other is much thinner for my daughter. Both are sambar stag, but done with the specific shooter in mind. All my after-market grips are from Raj at Eagle, but I have the advantage of being able to go to his shop in person to get things done. This is probably not an option for the back and forth from where you live, but if you call him he might be able to answer your questions to get it done.

Russ' offer on the "conversation" would be a start also.

Archived