SASS Wire Forum

TTN 1878 double quit firing left barrel

Irish Pat

I went and moved my triggers around on my shotgun the other day and everything worked fine until stage four today, when the left barrel now controled by the the front trigger quit working. The hammer cocks, stays cocked, when I pull the trigger the hammer makes only a very light mark on the primer. The right barrel works fine..I don't see what the trigger would have to do with it, it would seem to me it must be something with the spring, any one had this happen...I quit working on vaqueros when my main spring went under the freezer while changing to SBH hammers, Longhunter was nice enough to send two main springs when I called him ordering one, He told me that it sounded to him like I better get two at the time!!!After this I think I will throw my screwdriver behind the freezer...Irish Pat sass 19486, Natchez Gunners, Mississippi Peacemaker

Any chance the small sleeve holding the firing pin has unscrewed slightly, preventing the hammer from fully hitting the pin? I've seen something like this several times.

Hope you find an inexpensive solution to your dilema,

Kid Kneestone

Check the nut at the firing pin, as stated above. On my three I've had issues with the left hammer, it seems that the hammer rubs the frame (just a little) and slows the foward travel of the hammer enough that it just dimples the primers. If that is the case remove the hammer and take a little material off the back side (toward the front edge of the hammer). If you hold it up you should be able to see some light between the hammer and the frame.

If either one of those is not it, perhaps it's dry inside or could use a little polishing.

Hope that helps,

Wily

Irish-Pat I had not switched triggers but had light strikes on mine,happen last spring. Luckily Adirondack Jack was their he grabbed a box of factory Winchester AA's and it wouldn't set them off either.

So we pulled the left side plate off and he took the main spring out and he spread it out some,it worked for the rest of the match. When I got home I ordered a pair of left and right side replacement springs from Cimarron. The replacement springs that came are of much better quality that the original one that came in mine.

That took care of the problem. Adios Sgt.Jake

Archived