SASS Wire Forum

FUN with the .45 or

Colorado Coffinmaker

I've been playing with "funny" .45 cartridges for a couple of years, looking for less recoil and better accuracy. I've found both. The cartridge I wound up with is the .45 "Squirt." It's a .45 Schofield case cut to the same length as a .45 ACP. The problem in the past has been getting the case to cycle in a Toggle Link Rifle and finding an accurate "light" bullet.

At the same time I was piddling around with Schofield cases, Adirondack Jack was playing with .45 Colt cases and came up with the Cowboy 45 Special. Colt case cut to .45 ACP length and he created the C45S case. With reduced case volume, you can reduce the powder charge and still get reliable, consistent ignition and good powder burn.

The race was on for an accurate bullet at reduced weight and velocity. I had settled on the 160Gr RNFP. With AJ's magic Carrier Block for the Toggle Link rifles, the little rounds run thru a Toggle Link like wet grain thru a goose but I was still looking for .......... a better bullet for the handgun. After all, I am the consumate GAMER!!! :rolleyes:

Found The Bullet. Adirondack Jack came up with the "Barnstormer" bullet. Cast sorta soft, hollow base with a long bearing surface. 130Gr. I just spent a day shooting the smallest .45 groups I have ever shot with a wheel gun. With darned little recoil. About like a .38. Really. A .45 that recoils like a .38. Awesome. If, like me, you want to compete with the .38 guys but with a .45, here's your bullet!!

Blatant Plug. Really good Bullet

Coffinmaker

CC:

I know'd you is an intelligent feller but I gotta ask one question.....What took you sooooo long to discover this?

I been using AJ's Barnstormer bullets (the original 125 grainers) for over a year in the C45S case and I discovered what you have discovered.....they are SWEEEEEEET.

I shoot em in my Ruger Sheriff model .45's and are competitive as any .38 round.

Ifn you're going to GOA next weekend, ya better give me a shout because I'm suppose to be wandering around those woods also.

..........Widder

Widder,

I are in fact goin to Guns of August. I'm so happy with Barnstormer bullets I'm shooting my .45s instead of 38s. I also have a neat set of USFA "DOUBLE NICKELS" with 3 1/2 inch barrels. I changed the grips to Plow Handle, switched the hammers to standard SA hammers to be ground shooter legal and fit .45 ACP cylinders to 'em. Way KOOL and real accurate with Barnstormers. Not much recoil either (tee hee hee).

See you at GOA. Was planing to hunt you down if you were lurking about the premises. Loitering as it may be or .... Defiant Trespass in my case.

Oh, your question. I have been just bumping along with 160Gr RNFP, fat, dumb and happy to shoot 160s in both the hand gun and the rifle. Now I'll just be shooting the 160s in the rifle. The Barnstormer is just the Bees Knees for .45 hand guns!!!

Coffinmaker

Guest diablo slim shootist

Did all that work on making 45lites years ago and

just went to 38s -i'm sorry Coffinmaker I just shoot

45 or 38s depending on my gameyness :wacko:

P.S my 38 Montados have 3.5 in barrels :wub:

OK, I guess I must divulge trade secrets...

For those who know how to shoot an SAA like a semi-automatic (which, for the record, is slower); one uses the little bit of recoil to aid in getting the gun cocked. When the muzzle rises slightly (notice I did not say "wehn the gun stands up straight in your and from recoil"), it only necessary for one to straighten the thumb and the motion of the gun returning from recoil actually "cocks" the hammer so the guns is ready to fire when the muzzle returns to the sight plane.

OK,OK, it does sound like I'm full of shit and, well, I am...but try it sometime. You'll be amazed; but it requires a little RECOIL! Muscles can't defy the laws of physics! :wacko:

This is an old one but it might illustrate my point! :P

YouTube Vid

HW

Thank you. Physics dictates that a Semi auto, accurately fired is gonna be SLOWER than a properly-fitted SA revolver using accurate ammo that does NOT recoil like a Semi..... Put SBH hammers on your revolver, and ya don't need to fish for the hammer, nor break your grip. Even shooting duelist or gunfighter, ya just crank em like ya mean it, and the gun cooperates nicely. Most of us are not shooting stock SAAs which require you to fish for the hammer and have enough purchase on it to cock it, which can be dreadfully slow when done one-handed.

SASS has given us the parameters, a 60 PF minimum (or very close to that) works with a .38, and it works even better with a LIGHTER .45. (the problem with .45s has always been retaining accuracy when loading light. That problem has been licked) If yer looking for recoil to help you FIND the front sight, that assumes recoil already helped ya to lose it. Better to not lose it in the first place. Try it some time. CC and Widder have. They aren't noobs. Either of em knows just a little about how this stuff works.

Marshal,

You are correct!! However, there is a different perception of the goodness of a "little bit" of recoil when shooting with a gun in each hand as opposed to a strangle hold with two hands. Recovery time can be somewhat protracted with a mite too much recoil.

Normally, I compete with .38s but after a surprise extended hospital stay with nerve damage on the left side, I needed to teach myself to shoot with both hands all over. Shooting the .45 is a little more difficult than the 38 and accurate lite loads are hard to come by. Flying ash trays tend to wander a bit.

So. For the person who needs or wants a bit lighter gun and who wants or needs a bit less recoil with better recovery time, a nifty light bullet that will cut one hole groups at reduced velocity is just the ticket.

This a GAME. We all get to play the game our own way. I do not and won't try to tell "others" how to play. I will offer the opportunity of information. I refuse to criticize when I haven't walked the mile in their shoes.

Coffinmaker

PS: Thanks AJ

Whoa Boys...

I was being tongue in cheek (notice all the smilies :blink::wacko::rolleyes::P ); y'all took my comments WAY too seriously. I was just playing and having fun, I wasn't trying to tell anyone how to do anything (if you recall my "full of shit" comment.

I'm out

HW

Archived