SASS Wire Forum

Mosin-Nagant rifles by the crate

Seems like most of the gun shops in this area have simultaneously come into possion of crateloads of Mosin-Nagant rifles, which they are labelling as "Russian surplus", and selling for $95-$110 ea.

Sample ad: http://www.fsguns.com/

Any suggestions about what to look at to try to determine whether they are worth buying? Or at $100 per, should we buy the 2 or 3 best looking ones and hope to assemble one decent gun from the lot?

LL

LL

IMO , just like every used gun you will need to check it out as best you can .

A normal once over should be to see if it is # matching ( getting harder to find , at least around here )

condition of the bore , lock up of the action , wear patteren of bolt and reciver , ect .

Also look to see if the stock is solid .

Having went through a few for other shooters , most are pretty solid . I can not stress enough to check the bore .

As to the wood , if it is solid , who cares what it looks like ( you can always refinish it )

If the rifle has not been cleaned (cosomaline) , push it out and check the barrel , Most have to be scrubbed , due to fouling and dirt .

There are folks , better qualified than me to explain what to look for , google is your friend in this case .

I would suggest , that you DO NOT go swaping parts between guns , without having tools to check headspace ,firing pin protusion , ect

and the abality to understand and use them .

Hope this helps you out .

CB

I've always wanted to get one these rifles to go with my Nagant Revolver. I've decided to personally save up and get the sniper verion.

If I were you, I'd check at Collectors in Stoneham before going to Four Seasons, they will prolly be a few dollars less expensive.

Thanks, HK. They're at Riley's, too - for $110.

LL

I've always wanted to get one these rifles to go with my Nagant Revolver. I've decided to personally save up and get

the sniper verion.

If I were you, I'd check at Collectors in Stoneham before going to Four Seasons, they will prolly be a few dollars less expensive.

Handled one at my local dealers a couple weeks ago-

Very kool but at $450 I put it back-

Got my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 from Aim Surplus for $70. Good service, good firearm.

Look for the laminated stocks, if offered. Steam cleaners work quite well on Cosmoline.

Oh... Comrade Utah Bob is the Mosin Commissar!

And be sure to check for a counter-bored muzzle~!!!

A very common aresenal "repair" for barrels damaged at the muzzle by steel cleaning rods. ;)

Since most of the 91/30s were aresenal refurbished prior to being put in long term storage, just about all of them will be functional. Hex receivers are more desireable than round receivers, Tula is more desireable than Izvesk, and laminated stocks are more desireable than hardwood. Other than that, I would choose the one with the nicest bore.

Handled one at my local dealers a couple weeks ago-

Very kool but at $450 I put it back-

450 for a sniper is a good price really. I use mine to hunt with. I don't mind getting a 450 dollar gun wet etc, on sunny days I take out my repro 1903A4 sniper, once I took a dear with my real 1903A4.

I always recommend that anyone interested in Mosin-Nagants get a copy of Terrence Lapin's excellent book, The Mosin-Nagant Rifle. It has a wealth of information on Russian and Finnish models and variations, markings, dates, etc.

Almost all the guns on the market are arsenal refurbished after WWII and are good shooters.

It is not a pretty rifle but at less than a hundred bucks, the best buy you can get in military surplus rifles. Easily sporterized if you want to hunt with it.

The Russians made a bazillion but eventually the supply will dry up (or our government will ban their import) and the prices will go up.

Stick with 147 gr ammo. There is some heavy ball ammo (172g) on the market which is made for machine guns. Not recommended for the Mosin! Don't ask how I know.

Buy one. learn it. Shoot it.

Then buy another. Why not? ;)Nostrovya! :lol:

I find it amazing that a gun so ugly can shoot as well as it does.

I used half a can of gun scrubber blasting all of grease out of the action and bolt. Then relubed and I have a very functional rifle.

440 rounds in sealed tins are available from Ammunition to Go for $75.00.

My only complaint is the long, pointy thing that attachs to the end of the barrel does not fit. This may be a problem when Utah Bob and I go over the top to repel the hun.

Come on pards. It is only $100.00 more or less.

P.S. I would not wait to long as I'm Obama has gun control plans waitng.

I find it amazing that a gun so ugly can shoot as well as it does.

I used half a can of gun scrubber blasting all of grease out of the action and bolt. Then relubed and I have a very functional rifle.

440 rounds in sealed tins are available from Ammunition to Go for $75.00.

My only complaint is the long, pointy thing that attachs to the end of the barrel does not fit. This may be a problem when Utah Bob and I go over the top to repel the hun.

Come on pards. It is only $100.00 more or less.

P.S. I would not wait to long as I'm Obama has gun control plans waitng.

The problem with the bayonets is that they were fitted to each rifle individually at the factory. No scabbards were made as it was supposed to stay on the rifle. :wacko: Over time they have become separated and rarely match. The socket of the bayonet must be reamed out usually and maybe some filing on the latch. A Dremel works pretty well.

This website has easy to follow step by step instructions with photos for each step on how to disassemble and assemble most surplus rifles and pistols:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/index.asp

Add it to your favorites.

450 for a sniper is a good price really. I use mine to hunt with. I don't mind getting a 450 dollar gun wet etc, on sunny days I take out my repro 1903A4 sniper, once I took a dear with my real 1903A4.

Thought so too- I've concidered buyin a plain one but just really don't have a burnin desire for one- Kinda a Mauser fan maself-

I put it off for as long as I could... but being a fan of WWII rifles, I finally gave in and bought a 91/30 Sniper Rifle and a round top M30... Now I can't figure out why I didn't do this before... I bought two tins of the 147 gr. at 440 rd.s apiece... That should help me stop the zombies...

Vaya con Dios

I put it off for as long as I could... but being a fan of WWII rifles, I finally gave in and bought a 91/30 Sniper Rifle and a round top M30... Now I can't figure out why I didn't do this before... I bought two tins of the 147 gr. at 440 rd.s apiece... That should help me stop the zombies...

Vaya con Dios

Attaboy! :lol:

Safety Item: The Mosin-Nagant rifle has a magazine feature that captures the the top round and holds it in place for feeding. You can open the floor plate to unload the magazine and still have a round left in the rifle.

Note on counter bore. Main purpose of counter boring was to fix muzzle crown damage. However, the Russians counter bored rifles as a field modification to reduce muzzle flash.

Medium Ball vs Heavy Ball ammo: Medium ball is the standard rifle round at approx 148 gr. Soviet and Com-Block 7.62 x 54R Medium Ball has an iron or steel core. Heavy Ball is lead core. Ammo marked with a two color silver/orange tip is heavy steel core ball. Best to know what kind of bullet core you have if shooting at other than a dirt back stop. Have seen the iron cores come back at the firing line when shot at steel plates from 100yds.

All surplus ammo is corrosive so clean accordingly.

Wolf and other commercial "hunting" ammo is usually 180gr and is non-corrosive.

Medium Ball is the most pleasant to shoot. Stock up on ammo while it is still available!!!!!!

Most of the 91/30 and M44's that are available now are postwar rebuilds. Fun shooters but bore condition is the key. There are plenty on the market so get one with a bright bore.

"Cattleman"

Archived