SASS Wire Forum

Bluing touch up

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

Almost any refinishing outfit can take the buttplates and reblue them for you. Surprisingly, when I asked Turnbull about redoin a rifle for me... they weren't really very expensive if I did the polishing myself. The expense is in the metal preparation. Depending on how deep the rusting is, there are any number of methods to remove it. If just light surface rust, just take the plate off the gun, sand down thru to bright bare metal with about a 320 grit, then polish that out with say 400 to 600, then work it to a bright polished finish on a buffer. The refinisher can then just clean the part and dip. More importantly, if you have carpeting in the bottom of your guncart or safe, make sure it stays dry and if wet, that it gets replaced immediately. Surprising how long carpeting will hold moisture,

Aye, edited, to include, the reason some of those big houses are relatively inexpensive when doing a small job like this is that they can just put your part in with a bunch of either their own work, or along with another similar job. Since they're doin' this ALL the time, vs. a small guy maybe blues something once a month, firing up the bluing tank for a small job becomes expensive.

As long as it's rust spots or streaks on standard bluing (not Colt royal blue type of blue), I've had great success with 44-40 instant blue that Brownells sells. Just daub some on some really fine steel wool and blend the rust into blue. Interrupt that with a clean soft rag that just has the 44-40 on it and repeat until you finish with the rag treatment. Once happy with the finish, clean the surface with something like Hoppes #9 thoroughly and coat with a good gun oil. 44-40 left by itself likes to rust, so it needs to be treated after being applied. I've found it to be a life saver when restoring old screw heads and such on older firearms and touch ups as mentioned here. Smithy.

Brownells Oxpho Blue works like gangbusters.

I've had excellent results with it, on everything from touch-ups to complete guns. It'll even blue galvanized metal, which was a surprise.

One application trick I've learned is that you get more even results if you apply the bluing with a brush instead of a swab or cloth. Those disposable acid brushes with the metal handles work great. A bag of them at Harbor Freight is like $3.

Brownells Oxpho Blue works like gangbusters.

I've had excellent results with it, on everything from touch-ups to complete guns. It'll even blue galvanized metal, which was a surprise.

One application trick I've learned is that you get more even results if you apply the bluing with a brush instead of a swab or cloth. Those disposable acid brushes with the metal handles work great. A bag of them at Harbor Freight is like $3.

+1..

Couple few months ago I bought a small bottle of the liquid and a small bottle of the cream.. so far I've only used the cream... kinda stays where ya put it..

The stuff is GREAT!!!

Rance <_<

Well... I think it's great :blush:

If you clean the steel real good, I have had great luck with the felt touch up pen that is produced by G96.The other posters also gave you some good info. The Brownells products are always good but I have used then until I found these pens.. I have even used on such things as sights that were filed down a standard Black Marker. They have a type that is oil base and it gives better results.

Archived