SASS Wire Forum

Burial Suit

Utah Bob #35998

my first thought before reading all the replys was just a old pair of cutoff 501 levis, that's it. Last year was a rough one for me losing family members and friends. One thing that didn't seem right was a close friend for 40 yrs. died unexpectedly and there was no memorial and straight to cremation. So I think I'd like a short memorial service and then cremation with them cutoff jeans for the memorial, after that don't care. <_<

You need to think about these things in advance.

What do you plan to be buried in?

Will there be a funeral service? Cremation?

Don't care cause, being dead, you won't be involved?

I don't have anything in my will about it. Never too early to plan ahead, sez I. :P

UPDATED 1:10PM MDST

Okay allow me to re-phrase your Honor.

I didn't really mean to start a cremation vs interment debate. I understand individual feelings. Neither of my parents wanted any ceremony. I was with my dad when he died so I got the chance to say goodbye. I complied with his wishes, although it left me feeling that there were many many folks who feel they did not get a chance to honor him. I was not with my mom when she passed and it still bothers me that there was no memorial ceremony.

So...

Assuming you will have a funeral ceremony, whether cremation, burial, cryogenic vat depository, Mr. Spock deep space launch or whatever to follow.

And assuming that you wanted your loved ones and friends to have a final viewing at the aforementioned ceremony..

What will you be dressed in? Cowboy clothes? Formal wear? Toga? :unsure:

My brother and my dad were both cremated. Those who didn't see them before they died wished for better "closure".

We just paid our respects to my aunt. She was cremated BUT not until after she was laid out for a viewing and a service. it was comforting for all of us as her death was unexpected.....

You CAN do both.

Suit? That's gonna be up to whoever. Funerals really ARE for the living....

I want a traditional funeral albeit a "Celebration of Life service". Sorry, but cremation to me is a concept I can't embrace. They scald you of fluids, burn ya up, and grind up the remains. Plus,I've been told you only get a small portion of the "ashes" for your urn. For instance, I saw so called ashes spread over a grave and for the life of me I couldn't tell it from burnt kitty litter. I can't imagine doing that to my ancestors and don't want it done to me. Funerals are for the living its true but I want all my grandsons to carry all of me to my final resting place. If i'm wrong on the cremation process someone please straighten me out.

Now to answer Bobs query. Starched Wrangler jeans and a white western cut shirt with buttons...no snaps. Any leather belt with my old Hereford Bull buckle. Lay my stetson over my face and I'm ready to ride. Nobody can see em but might as well put my Justin boots on me too....might have to walk a piece down the trail.

Done it many times... but sure did hate to draw wearin' a blue-coat 'cause there weren't nuff Yanks showed up.

Robert... ya look all svelte there, my fiend. Yepper... decked out all perty-like in them gorgeous gray's.

ts

My favorite 7 button sack coat in Tuscaloosa gray and captured Yankee trousers.

The dang coat shrunk over the years for some reason till it wouldn't fit and I sold it to a pard down in New Mehico.

Told my wife and family to plant me with my butt stickin' outa the ground so's folks will have a place to park their bikes and set their drinks whilst payin' their respects. Only piece o' ground I don't have a mortgage on!

Deadeye Dingus :lol:

I've kept one set of Service Dress Whites if I die in summer and one set of Service Dress Blue if it's winter.

In either case I've directed that there be an iced case of beer, a couple of bottles of wine (red and white), and bottles of spirits (Jack Daniels, Myers Rum, Aalborg Gold, and Cachaça) at the foot of the bier. And appropriate glasses.

Anybody over 21 is expected to drink to the deceased. Praise or cuss, their choice.

Then plant me or ship me off the NORVA for burial at sea. At that point I'll be long past caring!!!!! :lol:

SQQ

You need to think about these things in advance.

What do you plan to be buried in?

Will there be a funeral service? Cremation?

Don't care cause, being dead, you won't be involved?

I don't have anything in my will about it. Never too early to plan ahead, sez I. :P

UPDATED 1:10PM MDST

Okay allow me to re-phrase your Honor.

I didn't really mean to start a cremation vs interment debate. I understand individual feelings. Neither of my parents wanted any ceremony. I was with my dad when he died so I got the chance to say goodbye. I complied with his wishes, although it left me feeling that there were many many folks who feel they did not get a chance to honor him. I was not with my mom when she passed and it still bothers me that there was no memorial ceremony.

So...

Assuming you will have a funeral ceremony, whether cremation, burial, cryogenic vat depository, Mr. Spock deep space launch or whatever to follow.

And assuming that you wanted your loved ones and friends to have a final viewing at the aforementioned ceremony..

What will you be dressed in? Cowboy clothes? Formal wear? Toga? :unsure:

If my heirs and assigns want to have a formal ceremony for me, I want to be in my Army Mess Dress uniform.

Duffield

I wanted to save my family money when I die. No suit/clothes. I may be one of the very first people to request my body be cremated and the ashes shot from a cannon, now it seems to be a fad. I put this in my living will when I was 27 years old, I'll be 50 this year. Never heard of such a thing way back then, thought I was being cerative and original. By the time I get there, It'll be an everyday thing I guess. <_<^_^ I'll have to try and think of something else.Bodine

I told my Wife if I die before Her to have me cremated and keep the ashes in the trunk of her car in case she gets stuck in the snow,That way I can help her out one last time.

Guest jeweler jim

Being as how I'm chea... I mean frugal, I have made arrangements with an outfit down in Memphis to have myself picked up after I croak and they will let any numbers of "cutters" practice on me. After six months to a year of them practicing they cremate the body and if'n your relatives want the ashes they'll send them to you. All for no charge which most other medical schools actually make you pay for the privilege of letting them practice cutting on you. So if you want a free deal this would seem to be the way to go. Ain't sure of how far out they'll chase a body, but their willing to chase up to northern IL to pick up my carcass.

Anyway, when the ashes come back my kids get to take them up to the boundary waters to dump them with my brothers' and old man's. Got an island where we used to go in the 60's. Give them one more excuse to go back into the brush as they went with me to dump their grandpa's ashes.

Medical Education & Research Institute

Memphis, TN

What I normally wear.... Blue jeans and a flannel shirt....

When our old pal Bullwinkle passed away, 6 or 7 years ago, he was decked out in his fancy cowboy duds, with his guns and gun cart next to the casket. I can't remember how many folks showed up in cowboy clothes but it was at least a dozen. I don't know that he asked for that but his best pard organized it and it was a nice way to say goodbye to a good friend.

Tex

My wife and I have both agreed that at our Wake there will be an open bar, music and laughter. We have both lived our lives with many good friends, parties and the ocassional drink...lol. Like the saying goes:

My wife has this on a plaque in her office....

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather...

to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martinin in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

We both want to go out with a celebration....no tears...just laughter and joy knowing we have gone to a better place with our Lord.

Granted, neither of us are in any hurry as we do enjoy what we have here on earth.

KK

Lay me out for viewing if that is what the kids and wife want and then cook me. The wife knows where the ashes go. If they insist on putting clothes on me make it my karate gi. After a very short memorial service pour everybody that wants one a shot of either good bourbon or Crown and start the party.

really dont care what is done with me,but if my family chooses to have a service I would like folks to come dressed how we met.If we met in SASS cowboy duds at work work clothes ect.Just so my loved ones can see the many things and people that made up my life.

Not a problem for me to worry about. What ever I die in is what I'll have on. Did a full body donation to the Louisiana State Medical system which includes LSU med, as well a several others in La. So I don't even know what med school I'll get carved up at, but what the Hey, it's a good cause. So if I'm with you and then I'm not just throw some ice on the body to keep it cool and call the numbers on card in my wallet. Family gets a few minutes at the hospital room for good bye n whoop I will be gone.

If I were going to be laid out in a casket, I think some comfortable cowboy clothes would suit me just fine.

But I'm thinking cremation is the best way to go, so I guess I'll be cooked in my birthday suit?!?

Regards, TJH

+1

I don't care. I'd prefer to be cremated because it is cheaper, and I'd rather go out in a "Blaze of glory" than rot in the ground.

The funeral is for the living, not the dead. Bea Itchin' will decide what helps HER move on, not me. I'll be dead.

Archived