SASS Wire Forum

Other shooting sports

Old Scatterbrain

At various times I have observed people being told that, if they dislike this rule or that, if they don't want to dress cowboy, or don't want to wear a hat, if they want to shoot hot loads, that there are lots of other places they may go. What other shooting sports primarily utilize single-action revolvers? Are there any?

At various times I have observed people being told that, if they dislike this rule or that, if they don't want to dress cowboy, or don't want to wear a hat, if they want to shoot hot loads, that there are lots of other places they may go. What other shooting sports primarily utilize single-action revolvers? Are there any?

I can't think of any that prohibits their use.

Some people get the drizzlies when new people ask about SASS rules and tell them to go somewhere else if they don't like it here. I usually ignore those comments. It's natural for people to have "Why" questions. For me, the interest in SASS was because of the old west aspect, then the guns. For some it's just guns and they don't like the clothing part of it. They just want to shoot.

But to answer you question, other than NCOWS, there is not another primarily single-action shooting organization that I'm aware of.

I guess someone could start one but I doubt there'd be many members.

What UB said.

But I think mostly when folks tell someone there are "lots of other places" that particular someone "can go", there's really only one place they have in mind ... if you know what I mean

:mellow:

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaayyyyy,

TMM

I can't think of any that prohibits their use.

From idpa.com:

The firearms are grouped into five (5) divisions: 1) Custom Defensive Pistol (.45ACP semi-automatics only); 2) Enhanced Service Pistol (9mm (9x19) or larger caliber semi-automatics); 3) Stock Service Pistol (9mm (9x19) or larger caliber double action, double action only, or safe action semi-automatics); 4) Enhanced Service Revolver (.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers); and 5) Stock Service Revolver (.38 caliber or larger double action revolvers).

The rules at uspsa.org are more difficult to decipher, but seem to restrict to DAO or DA/SA revolvers. Also no SA autos (no 1911's :wacko:)

What other sports am I missing?

What UB said.

But I think mostly when folks tell someone there are "lots of other places" that particular someone "can go", there's really only one place they have in mind ... if you know what I mean

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaayyyyy,

TMM

Probably so. And Utah Bob pretty much has the answer I sought.

What UB said.

Hi-Yo and Awaaaaayyyyy,

TMM

Philadelphia? ;)

To me, the SASS interest is primarily the connection to the historical times, our family heritage and the heritage of the country, and those simple days of yesteryear when I used to go to such as my great-grandpa's farm to practice plinking with him. Hitherto, I think, I had more of a historical connection to Scotland, Ireland, England, France....areas of my ancestry or there abouts. The historical connection part of SASS brings me closer to North America's history and appreciating this country, here, even going back many thousands of years.

Though we've always been patriotic, I find I feel closer to this country, here, just because of the historical connection.

The guns are there, too. They bring back good memories. And most of my guns are SASS-appropriate......Well: I guess the all are, except the Glock.

If SASS ever went to H*%%, I'm guessing I'd just have to be my own SASS.

Archived