SASS Wire Forum

Ok, all you Interior Decorators

PAINT?

I think I'm gonna be ill.

Painting wood is a sin.

I am a sinner.

Agree with ya Dave. Stain the darn thing Badger. Or varnish. Unless you're using cardboard. Are you?

Yeu learned my secret. It sez Westinghouse richt there on the side. Light weight tho.

I used to be active on a woodworking forum when that was my primary hobby before I got hooked on CAS, anyway I got to know a very talented professional woodworker who does work that goes into multi million dollar homes up in Aspen and the like.

He built this one piece that was very nice, can't remember what, a table or something, anyway, built out of nice hardwood. He met with the designer and homeowner to finalize the finish, and they made him paint it. It about broke my heart to see the before and after pictures of that piece.

I agree wif dem other folk....stain...or hand oil wood be best.

(Get it....I made a funny der.....WOOD be best ! .....Git it ....ummmmmmm)

But ifin ya dead set on paint da dang thin' I'd paint it red, gray and blue !!

Ask me why........go on.....ask.........I triple dawg dare ya !

I think it should be painted to look like that hippy psychedelic flower power VW van you used to have.

:D

I tank ya both need to see dat shrink again.....:blink:

y'all got robbed !!! :wacko:

Painting wood is perfectly fine. And correct for the period. Strong boxes were painted, limber chests were painted, stage coaches were painted.

Wells Fargo Chest, 1855

Wagon

Limber Chest For Gating Gun

It really has only been in the last 50 years or so that unpainted wood has become "the" way to do everything.

ADDED:

VMI Guns

Body of it orange, your hardware black trimmed with silver. Should look good.

i usually put finge on my shirt been doing bwestern even before it was catagory whose going at someone running

around with two sixguns a rifle and sshotgun

gabby

i usually put finge on my shirt been doing bwestern even before it was catagory whose going at someone running

around with two sixguns a rifle and sshotgun

gabby

I am in a category all by myself, Gabby. :lol:

:P

I'll tell ya, the first time I saw those red-orange guns from VMI it made my head twitch.

The pink ones are kinda nifty tho. :)

My new gun cart is about a dozen screw holes from being finished and then comes the paint.

What colors?

I'm thinking Black, silver and ORANGE!

Suggestions?

I can't see your cart.. but I can see you.. and the cart needs to be black walnut stain.. with Gold and Silver BMC's Posse Guns written all over it.. Forget the little rubber ducks you wanted to staple too it.. lol

My new gun cart is about a dozen screw holes from being finished and then comes the paint.

What colors?

I'm thinking Black, silver and ORANGE!

Suggestions?

What do ya got...a Harley Davidson guncart?????

Have at it; guncarts are the one part of SASS that no one has yet infected with multiple lawyers of rules - do as you damn well see fit!!!!

LL

Hay Badger...paint it 'Seahawks' Navy,'Seahawks' Blue with white accent lines.

Yeah Bobb! I could give it a coat of Matt Hassleback Blue! A Titan of a gun cart! :lol:

Since I have dark and light wood. Mayhaps a coat or three of clear varnish, na, Spar Varnish?

Or polyurethane? No stain. :blink:

Obviously, it needs to be purple...

Vaya con Dios

Nothing wrong with purple.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b90/edwardgfisher/Holy_terror_with_cart.jpg

This was the Germinator's cart that we lent to Holy Terror when she visited The Great Nor'easter in 2008. HT did not take her brass with her but she made sure she took the purple name tag.

There is always green.

US Gun Cart

From the 1862 Ordnance Manual (which is long before the cart in the photo, but the color is about the same)

Olive Paste

Yellow ochre, Pulverized 68

Lampblack 11

Boiled oil 37

Spirits of turpentine 0.4

Make a thick paste with the Ocre and oil, in a paint-pot, and with the lampblack and oil in another; grind them together in small portions, and keep the mixture in a tin vessel.

Liquid olive color

Olive paste 61.5

Boiled oil 29.5

Spirits of turpentine 5.5

Dryings 3.5

Japan varnish 2

Stirred together in a paint pot.

Some have reported that using the modern versions of these ingredients gives a kind of yellow green. I suspect that the yellow ocher is of a much higher purity now, and that whatever is used for lamp black has a greatly different chemical composition than in the 1860s.

Archived